Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit card payment system

• 05-08-2007 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I'm looking for a credit card payment system to buy in for a website I'm going to be making.

I will more than likely make a custom shopping cart, so I need a system that can integrate fairly easily.

Anyone have any past experience or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"to buy in" ????

So you'll be hosting the secure server yourself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'm a bit confused

Do you want to buy a shopping cart solution OR are you looking for a payment processor that you can use with your shopping cart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Yes a payment processor, which I can use with a simple "shopping cart" which I will write.
    Basically what I want is this:

1.A user browses through the items on sale

2.They add items to a cart

3.They then get to a payment stage which is handled by a third party

4.Once the credit card is processed and payments deposited, the third party send information (response variables) to a page on my site confirming this

5.The order is then added to a database and an email is sent to whoever notifying them.

Is that how it is actually done?

This is my first time making an "e-commerce" site so I'm a little sketchy on exactly how the whole process works.

Edit: No I won't be hosting the SSL myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any number of providers such as PayPal or the new Amazon FPS service should be able to accommodate what you want, by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

PayPal will passback successful payments to a specific URL and is perfect for SMEs who won't have many payments going through at the start.

Also look at Google Checkout and 2Checkout.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've just finished a website using osCommerce for the shop. I used PayPal Website Payments Standard. Customers do not need a PayPal account to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Amazon payments service is very expensive for non US merchants.
    Your main options are:
    - Realex
    - PayPal
    - WorldPay

At least those are the most common ones used by Irish merchants.

Search boards for the names above for loads of previous discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Just out of interest, how would one go about acquiring a https connection and taking in the users credit card details myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your host can arrange HTTPS and any form can collect CC details. However, what would you do with the details? Have you a way of deducting money from their bank and putting it into your a/c? Are you financially prepared for any legal action taken if peoples details somehow manage to get out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just out of interest, how would one go about acquiring a https connection and taking in the users credit card details myself.

That would make you liable for any credit card fraud if the card numbers were stolen. In reality that could lead to Visa or MasterCard levying about $4 per card number and the total transaction values...

Not a very pleasant thought

If you don´t have a merchant account then Paypal is a good starting point.

Google checkout isn´t available to Irish merchants yet (or wasn´t the last time I checked)

2Checkout is ok, but you have to wait quite a bit for the money to reach you.

Worldpay are expensive and can place all sorts of crazy restrictions on your account. Best avoided

Realex - you´ll need your own merchant account

There are also solutions like Moneybookers, but I´ve never actually used them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I like 2checkout. Have used them for about 5 years and haven't had any problems.

If I was starting over from scratch I'd have a Paypal and a 2checkout option for the customer.

Advertisement