Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to cry... :(

Options
  • 05-08-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

But it feels like I'm NEVER going to get broadband where I live it... not even wireless because of all the obstructions.

And to add insult to injury, I live a short walking distance away from Oldtown, Co. Dublin... [Resides near Ashbourne and Garristown]

OLDTOWN has DSL Broadband... and I can't get it !!!

This sucks, and I'm getting truly fed up of being left in the dust with this whole Broadband issue.

And Sattellite is the most stupid alternative I've ever come across, so don't even mention that to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have you looked at Mobile broadband from O2/Vodafone/3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

Im in the same situation living in cavan.....sick of dial up,have you tried 3g broadband....I have 3g but i hav't tried it yet. Give it ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

have you considered moving house? :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If lines nearby pass the test, then go to eircom and start pressurising them. Lodge a complaint or something. Find out why the line fails, and don't accept bull**** like "broadband is a distance-sensitive quality" or "you're too far from the exchange".

The best way is to find someone local who works in eircom. They could tell you directly why you fail and they could give you the results of the line test, to see if there's a chance of passing.

You could also report a line fault. A packet of crisps would be handy for this purpose;) Ask the engineer when he comes out to see if the line could pass, while he's "fixing" the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

im in a similer situation op. my area/echange is surronded on all fronts by other villages/exhanges etc that can all get broadband[mobile,wireless, some even dsl] but we can recive none....except a weak net 1 signal[and we cant even get them out to do a line test to confirm this]......frakking eircom!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The OP lives in Dublin.

Dublin is the buzzing connected hi-tech heart of the e-Hub of Europe, the envy of all.

It is the centre of the knowledge universe , not just the knowledge economy.

Therefore he must be wrong, what he described simply could not happen in Dublin. Stop trying to con us around here beerwolf. He probably has a fibre outside his front door :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I aien't in Dublin City... <_<;

I know that Oldtown area. You certainly wouldn't think you were only 10-15 mins drive from the M50.

I guess eircom's accept-all-orders initiative doesn't cover Dublin County. But my other post outlines some of the things that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

You reside near Ashbourne and Garristown ?
    2 houses ? Alternate nights with one/other ?
    Ashbourne has DSL off Digiweb.
    Stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If you really want to cry, try signing up for 3's mobile "broadband"

Hopefully the problems with mobile broadband in this country will be fixed. Keep an eye on what O2, Vodafone, Digiweb et al are doing - you might get your BB at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I spoke to a lady today who purchased the 3 BB because she couldnt get fixed line with eircom. She had been on the phone to them to ask was it available to her, and if it was not why not...guess with the eircom rep said?

"you chose to live in the country, ma'am"

my god if that ****er said that to me i'd have had his job.

I'm sick of the ***** at this stage, i really am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Bummer wrote:
    Im in the same situation living in cavan.....sick of dial up,have you tried 3g broadband....I have 3g but i hav't tried it yet. Give it ago.

Whereabouts in Cavan? The girlfriend's family lives in Cavan town and is able to get BT Broadband no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Can you not look at getting it from a neighbour?

I'm currently looking at transmitting it from a neighbours house. About €400 for the top of the range kit that I need but at least I will have broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Why don't you try Digiweb's 4G which launched in Fingal? It would be worth a try

35notout wrote:
    Why don't you try Digiweb's 4G which launched in Fingal? It would be worth a try
    That's a great suggestion. Oldtown and the surrounding areas should have no problems with coverage, if Digiweb covering most of Fingal is to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

That's a great suggestion. Oldtown and the surrounding areas should have no problems with coverage, if Digiweb covering most of Fingal is to be believed.

Digiweb specifically state Oldtown on their flyer.
    Im waiting to hear some more reports of actual speed on this before i get it though.
    Id hate to jump from the worst ISP in the country (ICE) to an even worse service - if thats possible.

Advertisement