Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID games on steam

Options
  • 05-08-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

just bought the super pack there for $70, i know most of the games can be gotten for free but the convienence of having them all in steam and all working perfectly and not having to go fish for emulators and roms etc appealed to me.

plus you get their newer games too like doom3 and it's expansion packs.

here's the full list.

The line-up of legendary id games and packages includes:

id GAMES on Steam
    • Commander Keen, Episodes 1 through 5
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Spear of Destiny
    • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    • Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II
    • Final DOOM
    • DOOM3
    • DOOM3: Resurrection of Evil
    • QUAKE
    • QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
    • QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
    • QUAKE II
    • QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
    • QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
    • QUAKE III Arena
    • QUAKE III: Team Arena
    • Heretic
    • Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
    • HeXen
    • HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
    • HeXen II

id PACKAGES on Steam
    • DOOM 3 Pack: Includes DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
    • QUAKE III Pack: Includes QUAKE III Arena and QUAKE III: Team Arena
    • Wolf Pack: Includes Wolf 3D, Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    • DOOM Pack Complete: Includes all DOOM games released by id
    • QUAKE Pack: Includes all 8 QUAKE Titles available on Steam
    • Heretic\HeXen Pack: Includes Heretic, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, HeXen II
    • Id Super Pack: Every id game on Steam

a lot of these games influenced the likes of the games you kiddies play today...:D

the super pack has 10% off until the 10th of august it's $62 plus sales tax of $13 dollars.

great list to keep me busy on a rainy bank holiday :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Not the biggest fan of steam, but i do like the idea of being able to pick up old games in a nice and easy way.

That said, seeing as it looks like they are breaching the GPL by using DosBox and not including the COPYING.txt and AUTHORS.txt so i'm going to hold off untill they get around to doing that.

hmmm, I wonder if you can put a proper DosBox 0.71 into those folders so you can configure it properly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Woohoo! This is good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

just got it.

was good fun playin quake reminds me of when i was like 6 !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry :S

just had a rush to post it after playing comander keen, god it brings back memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

That said, seeing as it looks like they are breaching the GPL by using DosBox and not including the COPYING.txt and AUTHORS.txt so i'm going to hold off untill they get around to doing that.

Reading that thread the authors of dosbox seem happy enough. The relevent files have now been included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I take it Quake has the soundtrack and stuff?
    Might grab that now actually:)

/edit
    just went for the entire Quake pack instead, splooge canon ahoy!
    There doesn't seem to be any music at all in Quake 1, cheap bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They are working to fix that apparently.

Giblet wrote:
    They are working to fix that apparently.
    i haven't loaded up quake2 yet but do they have the soundtrack on that, as far as i can remember that was fairly bitchin'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they better fix it, the soundtrack in quake 1 was amazing and quake 2's was really good as well. Its not the same without the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Might pick this up myself.

Incidently, has anyone tried the Doom3 remake of the original Doom?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, its actually very good, music and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry but Qauke 2's soundtrack was actually pure scutter.

Might get this myself. Would save the with hassle at lan parties since Steam is so convenient to use.

You = wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is it possible to use add-ons like Doomsday, jDoom, etc., on the Steam version? or are you stuck with the old graphics and resolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Goodshape wrote:
    Is it possible to use add-ons like Doomsday, jDoom, etc., on the Steam version? or are you stuck with the old graphics and resolution?
    I haven't bought any of the versions of Doom, but I would imagine that it works perfectly.
    from memory, jDoom et al only needed the .wad file from your doom installation, which should in theory be located in your "steam\steamapps\common\doom" folder.
    That's just total guesswork though, I'm sure someone who has bought Doom could verify that...

They all work perfectly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Hexen II is well worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Giblet wrote:
    You = wrong.

Noisy ****ty guitars don't make a good soundtrack. Quake 1 had a much better soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Afair the first track on quake1 was really cool, but the rest was just nice spooky background sounds. The Quake2 soundtrack wasn't bad at all!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Noisy ****ty guitars don't make a good soundtrack. Quake 1 had a much better soundtrack.

****ty to your uneducated ears maybe :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wasn't it Trent Reznor for both?

not too sure about quake2 but it was trent for quake1 hence the reference to nine inch nails on the nailgun ammo :D

musician wrote:
    Wasn't it Trent Reznor for both?

Trent wouldn't have made the abomination of crude unsublety that was the Quake 2 soundtrack.

aye it was a band called sonic mayhem i think, i remember talking about it with someone in college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

If I buy a game through Steam, does it stay linked to Steam? Will I have to open up Steam every time I want to play it and, more importantly, will it be utterly unplayable if Steam goes belly-up?

normal steam rules apply i think, unless you can run dosbox for the older ones from the steam folder without logging into steam then you should be able to.

i haven't tinkered around with it that much as i've been busy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

If I buy a game through Steam, does it stay linked to Steam? Will I have to open up Steam every time I want to play it and, more importantly, will it be utterly unplayable if Steam goes belly-up?

Yes, Yes and No would be the short answers.

If your net connections offline when you start steam then you go into "offline mode" which allows you to play all installed games fine but, obviously, doesn't have any online functionality.

I find Steam really good to be honest and have never had any problems with it. The biggest saving is that it automatically keeps all games up to date with patches. I hate rummaging around the net for patches, especially for older games. I always get 1.4 when I need 1.3, then I find out that there both incremental and I need 1.2, then I can't find it, then the connection drops when its halfway through downloading it then its the American patch I've got instead of the EU one then bo**ocks to it I'm off to the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Excellent, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

But sometimes the patch you get on Steam is not the same one you would download for the game itself.

Also no Quake 4 on the full id download pack? boo hiss...:confused: (or anywhere on Steam)

Advertisement