Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What am I doing wrong? (Css)

• 05-08-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I am teaching myself a bit of CSS and I am creating a little site at the moment. It looks okay so far in IE yet if you look at the image on the bottom left in Firefox or Safari it is slightly raised by a few pixels.

http://www.irishwebdevelopment.com/frames.html

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Probably a margin and/or padding issue. IE treats these differently to everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Py Have a look at this, its called the box model hack and it is the method used to get around the issues that Goodshape has mentioned

http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html

Also I reccommend Dan Cedarholms books on CSS, they start with the basics and are quite clearly laid out.

www.simple-bits.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks, I will have a look at that!

I fixed it earlier today but I can't remember how I did it! :(

Ok, I think it has something to do with the doctype code at the top. I removed it completely and the page worked perfectly in Firefox but was all over the place in IE.

The code I am currently usings is:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
     "[URL]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd[/URL]">
    <html xmlns="[URL]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml[/URL]" xml:lang="en">

Then I tried different one and it fixed the problem in FireFox but produced the same problem in IE.

Oh the headaches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

by the looks of it you have so much to learn.
    have a look into nested divs and floating (left, right).
    that page can be designed with half the code you have already, keeping the important content at the top of the page instead forcing the "footer" and "hand" divs position.

• Advertisement

louie wrote:
    by the looks of it you have so much to learn.
    have a look into nested divs and floating (left, right).
    that page can be designed with half the code you have already, keeping the important content at the top of the page instead forcing the "footer" and "hand" divs position.

Thanks for that. I only started learning this stuff a couple days ago!

I tried doing float: right; but it didn't work. Do you have an example of a nested div?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

taken from another site...
    #parentbox {
    position: absolute;
    width: 200px;
    float: left;
    border: solid #ffffff 10px;
    background-color: #cc9966;
    text-align: center;
    }
    #nestedbox {
    position: relative;
    width: 200px;
    border: solid #000000 2px;
    background-color: #33ccff;
    }

<body>

<div id="parentbox">
    <div id="nestedbox">Title</div>
    <a href="#">link #1</a><br>
    <a href="#">link #2</a><br>
    <a href="#">link #3</a><br>
    </div>

</body>

Ah ok, that looks straight forward enough! Would that sort out my image problem though?

You see originally the main part of the page was supposed to scroll down and the footer and hand image was to stay intact! Hence the name frame.html! I had it working originally but I am not sure what I did to feck it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

look into autoscroll css but for that you need to know the height of the user screen making sure the footer sticks to the bottom.

louie wrote:
    look into autoscroll css but for that you need to know the height of the user screen making sure the footer sticks to the bottom.

Well I was using the overflow one as I was working from an example. The way I have the footer at the moment seems to stay at the bottom at different resolutions.

• Advertisement

I managed to fix the image problem. It was the doctype as I originally thought!

Advertisement