Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community Shield Match Thread. SPOILERS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

José off to a flier , reckons Chelsea controlled the game lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

typical pre-season game

can't remember the last time a team i support won a shootout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They did, granted they controled the game by passing it around the back four for at least 30 minutes of the match, but sure they controlled that really well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I forgot Frank was playing with a broken toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tauren wrote:
    YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Though most of the time he does get a bit more involved.

Did anyone notice John O'Shea was playing?
    Do some people talk about John O'Shea as the best attacking mid-fielder in Europe?

No they dont. And O'Shea had a much bigger impact than Fat Frank. 1v1 tackle in the box against Joe Cole saved a goal.

Lampard has proven time and again that he cant cut it against big teams. But people will forget that if he scores a pen or a goal, or an assist.

I was dissappointed with Nani today, unlike pre-season he looked really nervous.

I hated Tal Ben Haim at Bolton, and i hate him again at Chelsea. He's a bully, you can tell he was hated when he was at school.

bully or not, think he's a good signing, did well against Rooney.

Lampard has proven time and again that he cant cut it against big teams. But people will forget that if he scores a pen or a goal, or an assist.

Who was it that scored that wonder goal against Barca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Decent match IMO, fairly physical. Terrible penos from Chelsea, didn't make it difficult at all for VDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Terrible spot kicks by Chelsea, especially Wright Phillips.

Love the new sig PHB!

Bring on the new season!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote:

Wonder goal/fluke?! you decide!

i know what i think!

well he can't do much more than 20 goals and numerous assists and thats not for one season, for the past 3 years, yes has has his flaws but he has his strengths too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

The better side won...

The peno's were all decent bar right phillips which was just stright down the centre, down mid height.

Van der saar deserves credit for 2 saves; look at where the ball is for both - pretty close to the corners.

Pretty poor match i thought, Chelsea were too defensive to the extent they had 4 back for corners where Utd's furtherst man was inside his own half :rolleyes:

Ok, Chelsea had Drogba and Terry out - boo hoo... Utd had scholes, g neville out.. equally influential players.

Ballack, Essien, Makele etc.. were also out but then again so to were hargreaves, saha, tevez..

The reality is both sides have the squads to cope with injuries, but the fact Chelsea are making excuses shows they're no longer a squad full of invincibles.

Don't forget this is only a pre season game, the way some people are gonig on, you would swear it was the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

smuckers wrote:
    Don't forget this is only a pre season game, the way some people are gonig on, you would swear it was the CL final.
    who? The way who are going on? Who is blowing the victory out of proportion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

smemon wrote:
    but the fact Chelsea are making excuses shows they're no longer a squad full of invincibles.
    Neil Warnock posts on the boards forum now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chelsea are simply not the same team without Terry. They miss his reading of the game, his talking on the pitch and his positional sense. He basically holds their back line together. His injury is far more crucial to chelsea than any of united's current injuries.

As he's out for the start of the season, right now, I'd say Chelsea's title hopes hinge on how soon he comes back.

As for todays game, The formation Chelsea put out says alot. No recognised out and out striker and a host of defensive midfielders. United were only slightly better, but that was more down to injuries.

Was nice to see premiership teams back in action though.

I'm still thinking that Chelsea and United will have less of a hold this season.

psi wrote:
    Chelsea are simply not the same team without Terry. They miss his reading of the game, his talking on the pitch and his positional sense. He basically holds their back line together. His injury is far more crucial to chelsea than any of united's current injuries.

As he's out for the start of the season, right now, I'd say Chelsea's title hopes hinge on how soon he comes back.

As for todays game, The formation Chelsea put out says alot. No recognised out and out striker and a host of defensive midfielders. United were only slightly better, but that was more down to injuries.

Was nice to see premiership teams back in action though.

I'm still thinking that Chelsea and United will have less of a hold this season.
    i'd say drogba is the bigger miss between himself and terry to be honest. Chelsea didn't look bad defensively today, but they lacked up front.

Chelsea are simply not the same team without Terry.

The exact same thing can be said about Scholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

is it true winners of the charity shield have never won the league in following season?

is it true winners of the charity shield have never won the league in following season?
    no. United won it in 93, and the league that season, and in 96, and the league that season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

PHB wrote:
    I dont know if you were being serious there, but if you were, you just backed up my point completley. Where was he for the other 89mins? He just popped up in the last min and scored a very good goal.

And as for the "He only scores 20 goals a season." If you played in a mid-field with Essien or Makelele and took as many shots as he did, you would score 20 goals a season yourself.

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    I dont know if you were being serious there, but if you were, you just backed up my point completley. Where was he for the other 89mins? He just popped up in the last min and scored a very good goal.

And as for the "He only scores 20 goals a season." If you played in a mid-field with Essien or Makelele and took as many shots as he did, you would score 20 goals a season yourself.
    thing is though, in terms of positioning himself on the pitch and making the right run at the right time - lampard is brilliant. Also, he is as good a striker of the ball as there is.

I don't rate lampard as the best in terms of an all round midfielder - I think he touch, passing and defensive play (though his defensive play is not an issue for Chelsea) are not as good as other players around - I think Scholes is a better all-round player then lampard (his passing and vision are better, as is his control imo - obvioulsy not his defending though!)

However, having said that - he does (and is brillinat at) exactly what chelsea want him to do - he gets them goals and inspires the team. I think some people are being unfair on him. 20 goals and a number of assists a season from an AM can not, simply can not, be discounted or dismissed. Chelsea don't want him to be a DM, they don't want him to be a winger. they want him to come from deep and get them goals. he does it. brilliantly.

That's bull****. He was fantastic in the match, and it culminated in that fantastic goal.
    I think there are serious problems with Lampard as a central midfielder, but as the front midfielder in a 4-3-3 in Chelsea's style of play, he is possibly the best in the world at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just back from the game. amazing stadium... alright game and penalties was great fun. as soon as Lmapards peno was saved it was hilairous to see thousands doing the "easy, easy....".

Advertisement