Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Feyenord match Thread

• 05-08-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭

7pm tonight kick off. Hope to see a good strong Pool team as this is much more of a dress rehersal for the start of the season.

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Agger---Riise/Insua(impressed the last day)

Pennant---Gerrard---Alonso---Kewell

Kuyt---Torres

Just seeing as Yossi and Leto got very good run outs against shangai. Think Leto will probably get another run later on as he's ineligible once pool get back to england.

What I want from tonight is goals. At this stage its not quite enough to dominate the games, we need goals now with the prem starting in a week.
    Could see both Kuyt and Torres scoring, Torres has confidence and Kuyt is home. He was desperate to impress in his 15minutes last game and i expect no change tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Hurray for football! ...and not that culchie "football" ;)

'Pool's preseason games have been pretty dull so far, even with Gerrard's wonder goal on Friday. Hopefully this'll be more exiting. Just settling in for the Charity Shield right now. I don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why is leto ineligable? he got his italian passport. i hope for the first team for the first 45 with riise lw and insua lb.

then lots of changes at half time.

3-0 my prediction 2 goals from nando and one from crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Leto - I didn't think he had an EU passport. He has to get a work permit doesnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

he didnt get the passort, it was assumed and reported that he was given his italian passport but it hasnt happened as of yet, he got to play the other day as a "trialist" apparanltly.

weather he can play again today ive no idea

• Advertisement

How can he be ineligible for a friendly :confused: theres no special registration for friendlies is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Team for tonight:
    Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin.

Subs: Martin, Finnan, Hypia, Torres, Benayoun, Crouch, Babel, Mascherano, Sissoko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Anyone watching this, cant get to see it myself, how is it going?

meh, typical pre season game really, feyenord are a bit more lively than pool but neither team are looking like they'll score.

kuyt has been pretty poor, alonso and pennant are looking good

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well on top, gerrard had a couple of great chances, voronin a couple of good ones too. kuyt scored off crossbar but not given, well over line but linesman 20 yards out. Risse just went close too. good link up play up front. At back we are playing quite a high line and they have looked to get in with balls over the top and down the channels. Reina out quickly a couple of times to snuff out danger and they have been caught offside when looking in 3 times.

• Advertisement

rabit it's like we are watching a diff game! bit harsh saying neither team look like scoring when pool already have bbut not given!

and feyenord just got a goal with ball over top..

copacetic wrote:
    rabit it's like we are watching a diff game! bit harsh saying neither team look like scoring when pool already have bbut not given!

and feyenord just got a goal with ball over top..

bit harsh nothing, pool are being pretty lethargic in going forward, its not a major criticism, its just feyenord are a bit more lively on the attack. some nice passing from liverpool, none of it with any major intent though whearas feyenord are being more direct and counter attacking alot.

kuyt has been losing the ball too often, vorinin is playing a bit higher up than him, he's doing ok. pennant has done well on the right, some nice crosses

I said it was harsh saying no-one looked like scoring when kuyt already scored a great one, just wasn't given. how is that not harsh?

copacetic wrote:
    I said it was harsh saying no-one looked like scoring when kuyt already scored a great one, just wasn't given. how is that not harsh?

its not harsh because there was another 45 minutes of typical liverpool crap of controlling the tempo of a match, spraying passes around, whipping in a few crosses and all the rest...and no goals.

i know its still pre season but its the same stuff that costs us every season, not putting teams to the sword. pool should be a couple up based on the amount of possession theyve had, so kuyts "goal" wouldnt/shouldnt matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa keep promising a change in attitude but it sounds like its still not actually happening (not watching btw).

Mike.

kewell off for babel a few mins ago

a little more conviction in the play from pool in the last few mins, no clear cut chances yet though, feyenord have parked the bus, 1 up front now

torres coming on in a min

*edit*

no idea how that bulb thingy got up there : |

torres playing on the right wing aswell. the head scratching begins

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

el rabitos wrote:
    torres playing on the right wing aswell. the head scratching begins

Yeah, I thought I was seeing things for a sec. Don't really understand that one, even for pre-season it's weird.

1-1
    Gerrard.

ugh...almost dissapointing to see gerrard score that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thats a horrible jersey :eek:

Not even gonna bother ask why someone pays 20 odd million for a striker and plays him on the wing.

kdjac

el rabitos wrote:

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

nice little surge from Gerrard leading to a goal there, nice finish as well, looks like he could be shaping up to have one of his good seasons!

el rabitos wrote:

bulb on, can see what you are saying there, certainly don't want another season where we can never get a result if stevie g is having one of his off days, which happen a fair bit.

copacetic wrote:
    bulb on, can see what you are saying there, certainly don't want another season where we can never get a result if stevie g is having one of his off days, which happen a fair bit.

Ah, ok. I get it now. Sorry, a bit slow today.

rahim wrote:
    How so?

because he's constantly our get out of jail free card, even in matchs that mean nothing.

you just want to see the important goals/any goals coming from all over the pitch, not rooted squarely to 1 player. you never know where the threat is coming from when it comes to the other top 3 teams

20 million for torres and he's out on the right wing, just makes u want to run into a wall

el rabitos wrote:
    because he's constantly our get out of jail free card, even in matchs that mean nothing.

you just want to see the important goals/any goals coming from all over the pitch, not rooted squarely to 1 player. you never know where the threat is coming from when it comes to the other top 3 teams

20 million for torres and he's out on the right wing, just makes u want to run into a wall

Yeah, I totally agree. Just didn't get what you were saying the first time, as I said above, I'm just a little slow today. Sorry bout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Reina saves peno.

@ rahm, its cool man. fair question.

lol, arbeloa gets hit in the face and gives away a peno. at least it happened in pre season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Obviously not a penalty, justly saved.

Thought Babel has looked ok today. Obviously Kuyt scored, but it happened so fast it would be nigh on impossible for the linesman or ref to see.

Its all been a bit disjointed.

oooh fisticuffs. Drenthe is some diver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Yer man, Drenthe is a nutcase. Seems to be a lad with a serious chip on his shoulder.

Could have been a lot worse, could have picked up a couple of reds quite easily there, ie Gerrards reaction.

Everytime i flicked back to the match on the pc Drenthe was involved in something, bit of an oddball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SofaKing wrote:
    How can he be ineligible for a friendly :confused: theres no special registration for friendlies is there?

Noone said he isn't eligible for today...
    I said;
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    Think Leto will probably get another run later on as he's ineligible once pool get back to england.
    as seen here; http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=shanghai-shenhua-0-liverpool-2%26method=full%26objectid=19570463%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    Leto would like Liverpool to stay on Dutch soil longer than the weekend after it emerged the European passport hasn’t been stamped after all.

The 20-year-old was given special dispensation to make his debut for the Reds, but when he returns to England he’ll be ineligible again.
    On today, i agree with ElRabitos, disappointing to see Gerrard save us yet again.
    Things did get very heated there before the end, could understand gerrards reaction, first he got fouled which was ignored, talked to the ref (who was pretty bad) who ignored him and then turned around to see Lucious pushing Agger who was backing away so i could understand him rushing over. He gave him a little push in the face alright which i know is a red but he didnt exactly punch him in the face. We're still lucky he didnt get a red though. Since everything turned out ok its good to see the lads get heated over it, would be nice to see a bit of fire in the team.

Kuyt and Voronin looked good earlyish but from their performances and some of the others it looks like they've been training fairly hard, they all faded much earlier then one would expect. Pennant and Kewell looked good. Babel looked ok, ill give him much more time before i really judge him.

Torres playing on right wing was pretty weird/stupid but it was only for about 6 or 7 minutes so ill let it go.

I think the best thing we could do for revenge against Feyenord would be to sign Ron Vlaar. He looked very good in CB and could be an answer to our problem of cover!

Was impressed with Kewell, he looked hungry today. Here's hoping he can get a run of form going.

Riise, on the otherhand, looked worryingly lethargic. I fear the likes of Young or Agbonlahor are gonna give hime the runaround next week :/

• Advertisement

So what was the final score?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote:
    So what was the final score?

Mike.

1 - 1. Though Kuyt had a goal disallowed which was perfectly legitimate. Would have been a tough call for the ref alright and the lino who called it was miles away. it hammered the crossbar, shot down behind the line and bounced back out.

i dont think kewell played that well at all, not once did he make a run to the byline or put a good cross into the box, he kept coming to the corner of the box and squaring it or playing it backwards. he rarely took on players but just held up the ball.

there was at least one occassion where he could have made a break but didnt bother taking the man on and passed it off - he is no where near is top form and i have finally given up on him ever playing as well as his leeds days again. will be very disappointed if he makes many starts this year would much prefer to see riise there.

lets hope i am wrong though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

****, us liverpool fans are annoying!it was a pre season friendly played at a terrible pace,it tells us nothing.If rafa had played reina on the inside left it dont mean he will play there,just messing around and its serious stuff next week.
    If anything can be gained from presason its that benayoun is a steal and links with the strikers like no other striker we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

some hilarious comments on here from liverpool fans, they call drenthe a nutcase and then there hero gerrard punches a player in the face and barely a word is said about it - hypocrisy dosnt begin to describe it...

• Advertisement

good observation - now get lost and stop trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

some hilarious comments on here from liverpool fans, they call drenthe a nutcase and then there hero gerrard punches a player in the face and barely a word is said about it - hypocrisy dosnt begin to describe it...

punches? go watch meath some more to watch a player punching ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

I am banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

griffdaddy wrote:
    the Gerrard incident was a once off bar one or two tough tackles, Drenthe was continuously going around like a lunatic with something to prove
    Was he going around decking Liverpool players or committing fouls, because there is a difference you know.

fortuneg wrote:
    Was he going around decking Liverpool players or committing fouls, because there is a difference you know.
    yes, the difference is that a player doesn't go out onto the pitch with the intention of decking players, or going in for hard decks or a few nasty decks from behind, a punch usually comes as a reaction to something nasty and is never calculated. However, a continuous bout of fowling, diving and bad tackling is not a reaction to something, it's a way of playing the game as a whole. I'm not defending Gerrard though, he deserved to walk 100%, that doesn't preclude from my opinion that Drenthe came across as a bit of an oddball, particularly as it was only some crappy tournament where the entry requirements were that you play your football in the hinterland of a port!

Gerrard picks up a yellow for his trouble..

Mike.

while in a competitive game gerrard would have walked and i couldnt have complained but the feyenord player would have to have gone too - he provoked the whole situation by going after Agger. And i dont see the differnece between pushing someone on the chest or pushing someone in the face really. Kewell was lucky earlier on as well.

Drenthe was diving quite a lot and really riled up Masch, Alonso and Gerrard, he was very mouthy too.

Ref probably could have handled the whole game a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Silly nonsense - and in a "friendly" too.

Drenthe..... the mind boggles. No one told him that its only a pretend competition.

Gerrard, in the rules of the game, was out of order, and should have walked. Personally though, I was quite happy with his reaction. Gerrard didn't initiate the aggressive behaiour, he was just more assertive than the Feyenoord players squaring up to Agger etc.

(Side note) what do cards in those tournaments actually matter? do they affect the english league or europe or what? (side note)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Both players should've walked and tbh while I don't wanna sound like a begrudging bastard, Gerrard's offence was worse than Rooney's last season when he got a ban IMO.
    griffdaddy wrote:
    (Side note) what do cards in those tournaments actually matter? do they affect the english league or europe or what? (side note)
    Not yellows, but red card offences for violent conduct can cause a ban in the Premiership. I think it depends on the situation, last season afaik it was the FA's decision to back the Dutch FA and implement the ban on Rooney and Scholes for the start of the Prem season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement