Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power of the Bike Bell

Options
  • 05-08-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

now thats respect for people on bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I reckon we'd need something like this for it to work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm just back from 2 weeks in Amsterdam, and the bell is a life saver! The whole road system over there is miles beyond the Dublin roads! The cycle lanes are like their own little road system, and pedestrains FEAR the power of the bike bell! It makes getting around so much easier! You don't get idiots strolling out infront of you anymore! The whole road system over there is much more organised than over here, it's like you're in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's brilliant... Don't think it'd work here though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I reckon we'd need something like this for it to work over here.
    Are these illegal over here? I remember checking the legislation about such things way back and it seemed as if anything louder than a bell would be against the law.

Could they be mounted to allow fingertip control on a MTB with already has brakes and gear controls on both sides? At the times when you'd really need to use the horn, you need to know that it is in immediate reach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

RainyDay wrote:
    Are these illegal over here? I remember checking the legislation about such things way back and it seemed as if anything louder than a bell would be against the law.

Beware that these horns are very loud and known to frighten the bejaysus out of fellow cyclists or pedestrians. People using these horns report getting regular abuse in return. They may seem effective in getting through to motorists, but owners often report that motorist start looking around for another motor vehicle, ergo they don't recognize that the horn blast came from the cyclist. That would make them ineffective, and potentially create greater danger for the cyclist if a motorist gets out of the way of the expected motor vehicle, potentially squeezing the cyclist's space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I was just thinking recently about something like this, basically getting something really loud to frighten the **** out of pedestrians walking on cycle lanes. Even if it is legal I doubt the air horn would be practical for mounting on my bike.

Have any of you lads come up with any ideas on how to scatter dopey walkers from cycle paths or is it just something you have to live with?
    I was thinking electric stun gun myself or perhaps a spiked steel ball on the end of a chain (braveheart style) :eek:

Also, would it be worth taking pics of cars parked up on cycle lanes outside apartments and e-mail them to the local cop shop or would that be a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

clown bag wrote:
    Have any of you lads come up with any ideas on how to scatter dopey walkers from cycle paths or is it just something you have to live with?
    QUOTE]

Shout loudly and speed up! usually does the trick. How loud and abusive you are in your shouting is up to yourself. Its great for venting a bit of rage too :D, particularly good on rainy days when that 15th punter with an umbrella steps out in front of you (might just be me, I have issues with umbrellas:mad: )

A bloke i used to work with as a courier had one of those airhorns, dunno if it was ever constructively effective but it did scare the bajaysus out o pedestrians when they were in the way.

oh, and taking photos; i'd say you'd be wasting your time. Gardai don't tend to have a lot of time for cyclist in my experience. Unless they spot you actually cycling (possibly in a way they consider illegal:rolleyes: ) of course.

clown bag wrote:
    When the walkers are facing me, I've tried avoiding eye contact and heading straight for them until they scatter. For those with their back to me, I usually get very close then make a noisy gear change while shouting 'cycle lane' into their ears. If they are iPodded up, they generally don't notice at all.

I'm thinking about stopping and trying to have a civil conversation with them - it might be the best option in the long run.
    clown bag wrote:
    Also, would it be worth taking pics of cars parked up on cycle lanes outside apartments and e-mail them to the local cop shop or would that be a waste of time?

If you are in Dublin city, you could try reporting them to the clampers, though I'm not certain how they respond to these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i have an air zound and it's fantastic, people really hear it when you're a good distance up the bike lane and they look around, see you coming and move out of the lane without you even having to break cadence. Also useful for getting cars to think twice about pulling out of a side road on you. I imagine it would also be useful to gather witnesses in the event of a crash - when you blow this a lot of people turn around, ergo a lot of people could see the car take you out. thankfully i've not had to make use of this yet.
    And yes it fits fine onto an MTB - I have it on my right hand side, as my most dangerous manouver is a left turn off the leopardstown roundabout, so I have the horn and front brake covered as I indicate off the 'bout.
    definitely makes me feel more comfortable, and it's always good to be able to vent anger at a driver by a long blast on the horn whether or not it actually does any good.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote:
    And yes it fits fine onto an MTB - I have it on my right hand side, as my most dangerous manouver is a left turn off the leopardstown roundabout, so I have the horn and front brake covered as I indicate off the 'bout.
    What kind of gear control do you have on the right side? Would it conflict with a trigger gear control?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RainyDay wrote:
    What kind of gear control do you have on the right side? Would it conflict with a trigger gear control?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17662
    Shimano R440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Membrane wrote:
    Beware that these horns are very loud and known to frighten the bejaysus out of fellow cyclists or pedestrians. People using these horns report getting regular abuse in return. They may seem effective in getting through to motorists, but owners often report that motorist start looking around for another motor vehicle, ergo they don't recognize that the horn blast came from the cyclist. That would make them ineffective, and potentially create greater danger for the cyclist if a motorist gets out of the way of the expected motor vehicle, potentially squeezing the cyclist's space.

I had one for a while, but you only get about 5 decent 'toots' out of a full bottle of air - and as membrane points out - they can be confusing for other motorists especially trucks - they sound like a truck horn or klaxon you'd bring to a footie match. I had tremendous fun with mine and severely frightened a few pedestrians who stepped out into the cycle lane etc.

I used it for the last time when I literally frightened a girl off her bike. Fair enough she pulled a very stupid manoeuvre by shooting out of a lane into my path but I didn't really want her to fall off her bike with the shock... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kenmc wrote:
    i have an air zound and it's fantastic, people really hear it when you're a good distance up the bike lane and they look around, see you coming and move out of the lane without you even having to break cadence.
    I have been thinking of getting one, and would mainly use it like this. It does not have to be very reachable in this case, you have plenty of time to use it. I am usually spotting people 100m away on bike lanes. Can never understand walkers strolling 2 abreast with the flow of they cycle tracks, scumbags, kids & grannies, yes, -but people who get their walking gear on- planning ahead to cause a hindrance :confused:

I usually whizz by 2 abreast people on lanes, and slow down for some, could be walking with the flow but at least keeping to one side. I was sorely tempted to snatch a handbag one day, would have dumped it 100m on but was worried I might fall off trying to grab it.
    How loud and abusive you are in your shouting is up to yourself. Its great for venting a bit of rage too
    Yep, cant beat a bit of abuse in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

clown bag wrote:
    Collect a bunch of them and write to the local superintendent or even to the area commissioner.

kenmc wrote:
    Many thanks. I'm still having trouble picturing how this might look. Any chance you could post a picture of the right handlebar to see the configuration?

Advertisement