Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Enemies of Reason

Options
  • 05-08-2007 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

New Dawkins series starting on 13th Aug C4 and article today in the Sunday Times. In which he will take on astrology, homeopathy, spiritualism and all that other new age hoodoo voodoo. Looking forward to it but the saying "shooting fish in a barrel" springs to mind

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Interesting. I wonder how they'll do it? It would be good to have some good hard debates rather than just have Dawkins sit there with a bemused look on his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Its over two episodes, the first will be on astrology and that sort of crap and the next is titled "the irrational health service" which tackles homeopathy and faith healing. C4 seem to be only willing to give him two shows a series, Root of All Evil was the same. Would have thought another on post modernism would have rounded things off nicely

Have you read his postmodernism essay? Its in the Devils Chaplin, good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Yeah which is why I'd think he'd be up for giving pm as much a drubbing as faith healers, maybe he'll squeeze it in somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cool, looking forward to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ill give it a look. I missed Root of All Evil and it seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4321574955310561251&q=root+of+all+evil&total=372&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

vanished off the face of the earth

five seconds it took me to google that

--edit

hehe, posted the wrong link

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I cant watch videos for more than five minutes on the computer. Makes me go all googley eyed. I meant TV and/or DVD (any word on that happening? Dawkins mentioned it in God Delusion)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like Penn & Teller's Bullsh1t without the swearing and breasts :D

Galvasean wrote:
    I cant watch videos for more than five minutes on the computer. Makes me go all googley eyed. I meant TV and/or DVD (any word on that happening? Dawkins mentioned it in God Delusion)
    http://www.skeptic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Product_Code=av561DVD&Affiliate=dawkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Enjoyed this review of it, although I probably won't actually see it.

I particularly liked this Pythonesque image:

"If it wasn't for the Enlightenment, you wouldn't be reading this right now. You'd be standing in a smock throwing turnips at a witch."

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭lookinforpicnic

"If you've ever described yourself as "quite spiritual", do civilisation a favour and punch yourself in the throat until you're incapable of speaking aloud ever again. Why should your outmoded codswallop be treated with anything other than the contemptuous mockery it deserves?" LOL

Looking forward to the programme, spirituality bugs me more than standard religous beliefs, as people normally consider them quite sophisticated or thought out when they clearly have not been.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Homeopathy is one that really gets my goat.

I've had to stop seeing my local GP as he started insisting on dolling out sugar tablets with a magical drop of liquid on them.

Don't forget this is on tonight at 8pm :) Set your alarms!

alarm is set, looking forward to it, maybe someone should tell the guys over in spirituality...great program on spirituality tonight ye'll love it! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks Dave, reminder set on TV now :)

Just found this video, an interview with RD on Richard and Judy! :)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1964171996506271039&hl=en

It's 10 mins long, about the new documentary! I'm actually gonna post a thread on this in the Paranormal forum (if there's none there already), I'd say it's better suited there than Spirituality :)

Derren Browne makes an apperance too, should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its on now for anyone who has forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Completely forgot it was on, my sister told me it was on but I missed the first 10 minutes or thereabouts. It was quite good, at least it makes a bit of a change from the usual stuff that we always hear Dawkins talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I only found out about this when I logged on here just after 8 this evenin so I missed the first 10 minutes also. But, like D.T. Jesus says I found it quite an interesting show.

I liked the Derren Brown bit, although South Park probably did a better job of debunking the whole 'Crossing Over' thing. :D The dowsing experiment was good too.

I hope I remember this one for next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

da_deadman wrote:
    I liked the Derren Brown bit, although South Park probably did a better job of debunking the whole 'Crossing Over' thing. :D

I was thinking the exact same thing when Brown was explaining about cold reading. :D

Anyone got a link to this South Park episode? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

forgot, forgot, forgot ... crap and double crap!

Sure it will appear on the interweb soon...

I enjoyed it. It would have been interesting if they indulged the dowsers and let the woman do it with the scaffolding she wanted. It would really have hammered home the point. Tho no doubt she would have continued to make excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

DaveMcG wrote:
    Anyone got a link to this South Park episode? :p

Some of the exchanges went like this:
    John Edward: But, I'm a psychic.
    Stan: No, dude. You're a douche.
    John Edward: I'm not a douche. What if I really believed dead people talk to me?
    Stan: Then, you're a stupid douche.

John Edward: You better not call me a liar, a fake, or a douche, or else I'll sue you for slander!
    Stan: I am saying this to you, John Edward. You are a liar. You are a fake. And you are the biggest douche ever.
    John Edward: Everything I tell people is positive and gives them hope! How does that make me a douche?
    Stan: Because the big questions in life are tough; Why are we here? Where are we from? Where are we going? But as long as people believe in a*****e douchey liars like you, we're never going to find the answers to those questions. You aren't just lying, you're slowing down the progress of all mankind, YOU DOUCHE!

I wonder if Dawkins felt like saying something similar to the guy he was talking to. :)

Everytime I hear or read something by Dawkins I can't help but be impressed by his love of the sciences - he gave a great advertisement for astronomy this evening.

da_deadman wrote:
    Some of the exchanges went like this:

I wonder if Dawkins felt like saying something similar to the guy he was talking to. :)

Everytime I hear or read something by Dawkins I can't help but be impressed by his love of the sciences - he gave a great advertisement for astronomy this evening.

Cheers

He really is mad for science! :D Dunno bout it being a great advertisement for astronomy though... This is an amazing short video with Carl Sagan speaking over it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

Now THAT'S a great advertisement! :D Gives you some serious perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

DaveMcG wrote:
    Just found this video, an interview with RD on Richard and Judy! :)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1964171996506271039&hl=en

It's 10 mins long, about the new documentary! I'm actually gonna post a thread on this in the Paranormal forum (if there's none there already), I'd say it's better suited there than Spirituality :)

Just watched it.

I have issue with his statement 'Do you really want to be entertained by falsehood? Wouldn't it be better since the truth is so wonderful...'

I'm standing before the firing line on an atheists forum for saying this, but I'm not really that concerned with truth. Frankly happiness is more important to me. And I think quite a few people are entertained by falsehood, only we call it fiction (and good fiction is the second-most important thing in the world to me, next to good music).

And I think quite a few people are entertained by falsehood, only we call it fiction (and good fiction is the second-most important thing in the world to me, next to good music).

Yeah but do the people that are entertained by falsehood know that it is falsehood, you like good fiction but you know that it is just that fiction. Fiction is entertaining when it is not telling you how to behave, how to be moral and how the world was created in 7 days.

Looking at the show tonight and from my own dealings with paranormal/spiritually folk, it looks like that they generally do not believe that they are believing in falsehoods, they concont all sort of elaborate tales about how there method works...they remind me of brain damaged patients confabulating stories to satisfy their stubborn feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Fiction is fine when it is labeled as such. I enjoy a good work of fiction as much as the next man! Labelling utter fiction as fact and making it a set of rules to live by (or, depending on where/when you live, enforcing your crazy fairyland rules on society) is just wrong.

Advertisement