Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What constitutes a Debs suit?

• 05-08-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

For someone who may get a few uses from a formal suit and therefore justify buying a secondhand one on Ebay or similar, what exactly constitutes a debs suit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Pick up a tux in M&S, if you're going to get a few uses out of it it's worth it especially as you can avoid horrible ill-fitting rented ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Arnotts Bargain Basement FTW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Yorky wrote:
    For someone who may get a few uses from a formal suit and therefore justify buying a secondhand one on Ebay or similar, what exactly constitutes a debs suit?

Thanks in advance.

Many uses for a tux....I bought one (+1 for the arnotts bargain basement) and used it for my debs and another, its been gathering dust since.

I cant think of many uses for a tux. If you're buying one buy cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

I bought a black suit in Zara- I love it, it's been used for 4 debs (well one debs so far, and 3 up an'coming debs :D)

Once you have the right shirt and dicky bow, suits look great! I also use the jacket with jeans when I need to look fancy lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

just get a cheap one chances are it wont get much use:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Make sure your waistcoat matches her dres!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No, don't get a waistcoat! Get a tie that matches her dress, and a black shirt. Cravats look stupid.

Waistcoats are tragic, avoid and stay classy.

You'll be amazed the amount of occasions you may have to wear a tux, and because you own one you might end up finding yourself in more and more crazah situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Piste wrote:
    Make sure your waistcoat matches her dres!

Well and good for some, but my gf is refusing point blank to hint at her dress colour until I see it.

She just said to get a 'neutral' colour waist-coat. :o

ThatGuy wrote:
    Well and good for some, but my gf is refusing point blank to hint at her dress colour until I see it.

She just said to get a 'neutral' colour waist-coat. :o

...back in black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Buy a used tux in a dress hire place. They usually sell them for e150. If you're going to college you'll be going to balls and stuff so you can use it then. They cost about e75 to hire so purchasing one makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Waistcoats can be good, depending on the guy.

If you're planning on being involved in societies in college, etc, then buy one. It's well worth it, just don't put on lots of weight afterward as it'll be useless! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Make sure it's an evening suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

The easiest thing to do is to buy (not rent!!!) a decent, middle priced black suit, a black shirt and shoes and a coloured tie.

Whether or not you go to college, you will at some point need to have a black suit, whether for balls or formal events, interviews or for funerals. Once you have the suit, you can make it more or less formal with a different colour shirt.

Buy the best you can afford, go to a menswear shop and get as much help from the staff as you can. Avoid getting different shades of black. Yes, there are different shades of black and it is noticeable when you put them side by side.

Advertisement