Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

silica gel and other drying agents

Options
  • 05-08-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get some silica gel or such like drying agents to put in the gun cabinet to keep dampness away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

FYI, they can damage wooden stocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is a plastic stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

A double glazing company that makes it own glass units,
    it goes into the spacer bars in the units to absorb moisture.
    if it gets wet it can be dried out with hair dryer,
    but it will absorb a lot of moisture before it needs drying out.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cool, are there any shops that sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

try woodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Damages wooden stocks?

kowloon wrote:
    Damages wooden stocks?

Can dry them out too much and warp them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Go into any computer shop and ask for the sachets that accompany the PC's in the box.
    They should have plenty lying around, usually the silica turns purple when it has absorbed moisture so make sure the crystals are clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Ditto camera stores.DIY electrical places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Furniture purchased from Argos always contains fairly large gels bags for free - maybe someone you know may have purchased from them.

• Advertisement

Google VP 90 sachet for an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You can dry those silica packs in the oven on VERY low heat and re-use them.

we nuke them in the microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Since this post is sort of relevant,
    What should i use to re-oil some old stocks?
    Theyre completely dried out and cracked, salvaged from a ship-wreck in the seventies but i want to restore them to some of their former glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Check out ebay.ie for 'silica gel' - loads of them on there

sand them and linseed oil?

I know someone who sanded down old stocks, and then recoloured and varnished them, not sure of the exct products but they turned out great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sand them and linseed oil?

I know someone who sanded down old stocks, and then recoloured and varnished them, not sure of the exct products but they turned out great!

Start with a mix of Boiled Linseed oil and white spirit/turps, about 50/50 mix and keep rubbing it in. Gradually increase the ratio of Linseed to turps until you finish with pure linseed.

Process should take a couple of weeks, applying every day or 2nd day. No need to put varnish on, if you polish in the Linseed, you will get a very good finish. Some people also mix in about 25% oil based varnish towards the end. Translac or Yacht varnish so long as it's oil based.

Any DIY shop will have boiled linseed oil. If you're lucky they'll have it in a 5 litre container.

Advertisement