Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Content - Settle an argument please.

• 05-08-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

Can you give your honest opinion on this please. Just vote which player you would rather have in your side.

Its just to settle an argument.

Opr

Which player would you rather have in your side ? 29 votes

Darren Fletcher
    0% 0 votes
    Mohamed Sissoko
    100% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Richard Dunne for sure.

...whats this about again? :)

EDIT: Fletcher has the edge cos he can pick a pass or thru ball. But Sissoko has potential to be so much better if he adds goals or passing or both to his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how on earth can anything said here settle an argument.

For a pure DM role, and tough tackling, would have to be Sissoko.

Fletcher is a good squad player - never stops going. Good when you wnat to keep the oppoition midfielders under pressure.Tackling ability is not as good as Sissoko though, he is a better passer mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is this a serious question? i would prefer 99.999% of prem players in my squad than fergies love child...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Fletcher is often slated for no real reason. On his day he can pass with the best, and pops up with the odd goal.

Sissoko is good if you are looking to break people up. Those looong legs often get him in trouble alot. He is clumbsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sissoko is one of the most overrated players going

he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's a decent player IMO

not that im saying Fletcher is good either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Voted Fletcher as he can play in more positions I think and Conor O'Grady can do the job that Sissoko is best at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Sissoko is one of the most overrated players going

he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's a decent player IMO

not that im saying Fletcher is good either

Absolutely nothing with those man of the match performances against Chelsea and Barcelona. was terrible when he won the MotM award in the demolition of Birmingham in his first game back from long term injury. Being the best athlete most have ever seen on the football pitch of course counts for nought as well. Not to mention that he's obviously been working very hard on his passing which has steadily improved in preseason this year. when we dismiss him for his poor passing lets just forget that it was actually better a year and a half ago before he almost lost his sight in one eye from a kick to the face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

Sissoko without i doubt! he seems to be improving all the time where as Fletcher seems to be exactly the same since he made his debut, just average! thats my opinion anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

IMO you'll never get a fair answer as there is too many Liverpool "lets fight the fight" fans in here, and Man Utd fans who'll retaliate to that and more...but thats what makes it so good tho eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This is a bit of a silly idea for a thread regardless of reasons. Sissoko though if I'm forced to choose between two below-par players.

• Advertisement

wanabe wrote:
    Sissoko without i doubt! he seems to be improving all the time where as Fletcher seems to be exactly the same since he made his debut, just average! thats my opinion anyways!
    I think that is unfair on fletcher.

I freakin hated fletcher for his first couple of seasons - but over the last two years i think he has improved a lot. I still don't think he is good enough to be a first choice player for United BUT I understand that A squad can not be made up of first choice players. Fletcher never stops running, is very good at closing down space and has good positional sense. His passing is pretty good, occasionally very very good. I know he is limited - short on pace, won't beat a man with skill and is unlikely to get you many goals - but as i say, he is a very good squad player. He has turned from a player i never wanted to see in a united kit at all, ever, to a player i appreciate, one that does contribute to the team. I remember at the start of last seaason he was one of our best performers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I know im biased but being honest i would go with Sissoko for 2 reasons. He has he potential to develope into one of the best, and right now, he's one of the best in the game in his particular role of destroyer. Its not pretty and some would say its not even really football, but he makes a massive difference to a side. Fletcher meanwhile is an all round decent player. He looks much better for scotland then for Man U imo. I see him as more of a jack of all trades, but i could never see him developing into a top class player. Really to answer this it would be better to know who else is in the team in question as they are different players.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I know im biased but being honest i would go with Sissoko for 2 reasons. He has he potential to develope into one of the best, and right now, he's one of the best in the game in his particular role of destroyer. Its not pretty and some would say its not even really football, but he makes a massive difference to a side. Fletcher meanwhile is an all round decent player. He looks much better for scotland then for Man U imo. I see him as more of a jack of all trades, but i could never see him developing into a top class player. Really to answer this it would be better to know who else is in the team in question as they are different players.
    I'd agree with your analysis of Fletcher - he is the type of player a squad needs. He will never be top class, but the effort he puts in to the his game is commendable, and that effort is often needed. IMO, he is very like Sissoko, or Flamini - a player, that while not awesome, will always give 100% and will do whatever is asked of him to the best of his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I`m a Utd fan but I would choose Sissoko... but it was a tough choice as I rate Fletcher highly. He has definitely improved a lot since his debut and unlike other former utd youngsters (greening, chadwick) he has grown into the utd squad and is a good player to have around. A lot of ppl give him a hard time but the reality is that they are looking at it through blinkered eyes and cannot see his improvement.

But I still chose Sissoko because I think he has the potential to be a great player. At the moment he is one of the best defensive midfielders around when the opposition has the ball. Of course sometimes he gets in trouble with the ref but that is a trade off that you have to expect for a good DM. His problem is that his distribution is usually bad. But he is also quite young and I think once he grows more into his role and matures as a footballer it will bet better. He will realise that all he needs to do is play the easy balls and let more creative players take over. And he has a great engine on him which is another bonus.

So I chose Sissoko because he has the potential to be a better player than Fletcher imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats with these threads that pop up all the time comparing 2 players that perform in 2 completely different roles? Who's better, Carragher or Gerrard, Neville or Giggs etc etc. you can only really compare players that play similar positions or styles, outside of that and your pretty much talking about who is more important to the team they play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I dunno, it's like asking what would you prefer, "Syphilis or Gonorrhoea?"

Two very average players , one can pass and tackle to very average level and the other can tackle but give the ball away like it's a prerequisite to signing on the dotted line.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

woooo232 wrote:
    I`m a Utd fan but I would choose Sissoko... but it was a tough choice as I rate Fletcher highly. He has definitely improved a lot since his debut and unlike other former utd youngsters (greening, chadwick) he has grown into the utd squad and is a good player to have around. A lot of ppl give him a hard time but the reality is that they are looking at it through blinkered eyes and cannot see his improvement.

But I still chose Sissoko because I think he has the potential to be a great player. At the moment he is one of the best defensive midfielders around when the opposition has the ball. Of course sometimes he gets in trouble with the ref but that is a trade off that you have to expect for a good DM. His problem is that his distribution is usually bad. But he is also quite young and I think once he grows more into his role and matures as a footballer it will bet better. He will realise that all he needs to do is play the easy balls and let more creative players take over. And he has a great engine on him which is another bonus.

So I chose Sissoko because he has the potential to be a better player than Fletcher imo.
    A United fan with the same avatar as smemon... unlucky!

Sissoko for me. He's a better player now and he's got a much higher ceiling in terms of how good he can become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't want Sissoko in a United team because he is the style of player that I think represents ugly ugly football. That said, as a destructive player, he is top class. However, he can't do anything with the ball at all once he gets it so he kinda limits your team a little to 10 players when you are attacking. He is more likely to make you draw than lose or win imo.
    That said, I'd probably pick him over Fletcher, however I do feel Fletcher has a similar potential to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

A United fan with the same avatar as smemon... unlucky!

When I find out who or what smemon is I'll start worrying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Sissoko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Definately Momo.

I see whree you're coming from PHB about the style of football he represents but to be honest, top teams always need a player similar to him in their side IMO.
    Perhaps if Utds midfield hada bit of steal in it, they would cope better when they meet decent sides in Europe?

Plus his passing is not as bad as its being made out to be.
    He hits some bud passes and takes some strange touches, but in fairness he plays alongside two of the best passers of the ball in the world with Gerrard and Alonso.So its obviously hard for him to impress in the passing stakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Definately Momo.

I see whree you're coming from PHB about the style of football he represents but to be honest, top teams always need a player similar to him in their side IMO.
    Perhaps if Utds midfield hada bit of steal in it, they would cope better when they meet decent sides in Europe?

Indeed, it's why Hargreaves was bought. Sissoko is an extreme case though. Hargreaves, Mascherano, Gattuso all perform a similar job without the shocking passing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I just wouldn't write Sissoko off, he is better at breaking up play that all the other midfielders you mentioned, plus he is younger than all (possibly not Mascherano?), if he learns to pass the ball decently, he will be the best midfielder of his type in the world.

In case he doesn't, we now have Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

defo sissoko for me every day of the week. If fletcher was with liverpool he would be lucky to play a carling cup match.

Advertisement