Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a budgie they dont want?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Anyone have a tame budgie looking for a home?

I have 2 already in a huge cage and have plenty of experience with birds. They get fed Harrisions organic pellets, some seed, and vegetables.
    I am going to buy one if I can't rescue one, but I just thought I'd see here first. Probably a long shot. I live in Gorey in Wexford.

Must be tame or very young.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I just give away a hand reared 12 week old one called cheeky am getting a hand reared cockatiel and I have a breeding pair of budgies. I live in derry and believe it or not I visit all the time gorey in donegal.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

just out of interest andrawolf, is the hand reared cockatiel costing you much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I paid €120 for a hand reared 'tiel in 2005, she laid 17 eggs last year and four this year (all infertile b/c no male)

Wow demomique! 17 eggs!! lol I wonder if you put some of those false eggs in would it stop her trying to lay more?

tallus wrote:
    Wow demomique! 17 eggs!! lol I wonder if you put some of those false eggs in would it stop her trying to lay more?

Dunno, how that would work. Wouldn't she lay regardless of whether or not there were false eggs?

On a similar note, last year my cornsnake laid 15 eggs, the first batch of 8 didn't hatch, but with the second batch, 7 out of 8 eggs hatched.

This year her first batch of 8 eggs died two weeks before they were due to hatch with dead babies inside when I opened the dead eggs. Only two of the 7 eggs in her second batch failed to hatch, all five babies are just under a week old now and very nippy.
    And she's currently pregnant with her 3rd batch of eggs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

sorry only getting back now. but I will be given the bird but to pay it in the shop it would be 60 sterlin. he is a cinnamon peral and very nice. just got him a big cage of ebay. He should be ready to come this week.:D :D:D

Demonique wrote:
    Dunno, how that would work. Wouldn't she lay regardless of whether or not there were false eggs?

On a similar note, last year my cornsnake laid 15 eggs, the first batch of 8 didn't hatch, but with the second batch, 7 out of 8 eggs hatched.

This year her first batch of 8 eggs died two weeks before they were due to hatch with dead babies inside when I opened the dead eggs. Only two of the 7 eggs in her second batch failed to hatch, all five babies are just under a week old now and very nippy.
    And she's currently pregnant with her 3rd batch of eggs
    Sorry to hear about the hatchlings dying in the eggs. I remember talking to a friend of mine about one of his corns laying eggs years back and she deposited the bad eggs away from the viable ones. He called them slugs. I had a similar problem a good few years back with a pair of ptyodactylus geckos, the neonates went full term but never hatched. Best of luck with the babies.

tallus wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the hatchlings dying in the eggs. I remember talking to a friend of mine about one of his corns laying eggs years back and she deposited the bad eggs away from the viable ones. He called them slugs. I had a similar problem a good few years back with a pair of ptyodactylus geckos, the neonates went full term but never hatched. Best of luck with the babies.

I was there when she was laying her first clutch and I removed the eggs as she laid them and placed them apart in an incubation box. All the eggs looked good, but one turned out to be infertile, the rest sadly didnt go full term.

On a brighter note, when I arrived in the flat this morning from Athlone, one of the five new hatchlings had shed and the rest were having bad sheds. I had to leave, but first I defrosted a pinkie for my '06 runt (same mother, different father, crap feeder who's not much bigger than the new babies).

When I returned the '06 runt hadn't eaten its pinkie, so I offered it to the baby who had properly shed on my lap whilst I was holding the baby. It showed interest, tongue flicking and nudging the pink with its snout. Then it opened its mouth and latched onto the pink! I put it back in the box with its siblings where it commenced swallowing. So, I have at least one good feeder in the clutch!
    I then removed some shed from one of the other babies and soaked the other three who still had a lot of shed on them in a soaking box. The shed came off.

They all look nippy and healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do give her the false eggs it may well help. It is not healthy for a tiel or budgie etc to lay lots of eggs it puts a lot of strain on their bodies you have to be careful with their diet. Ensure she's getting a calcium suppliment or give her some cool boiled (organic free range hens) egg twice a week.
    A suppliment like PRIME is excellent for birds as well you can put it on their soft food or in their water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

So anyone know of where I can get one? I'll buy one off someone if you have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My boyfriend breeds budgies in an aviary, he has a couple of young ones at the moment and was talking about downsizing lately, I will have to ask him when he comes back from holidays on Sunday.

Advertisement