Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband moving antenna

Options
  • 05-08-2007 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I have recently subscribed to Irish Broadband, and they have placed their antenna on the front face of my house. I do not have a chimney and so cannot place it on the roof. My problem is that when I was getting my sky dish installed, the installer was in the process of attaching the dish to the irish broadband pole when a neighbour of mine told him not to, and to place the dish at the back of my house, as he had already started the process of getting the council to make me take the irish broadband antenna down. I was unaware of the full planning laws (as were irish broadband by the sounds of it) but supposedly I do not have permission to attach any dish or aerial to the front of my house, only on the rear or on the chimney. What I was hoping someone might be able to help me with is, how much clearance over my roof does an antenna like this need in order to receive a signal. By the looks of it, I will have to place the antenna on the back wall of my house on a pole that will give the antenna clearance over the apex, but I would like to know just how much clearance will it need. I am hoping I will still be able to stay with Irishbroadband as I dont have a land line, and dont want to get one either, we use skype for all foreign calls, and mobiles for all local ones

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

johnam wrote:
    I was unaware of the full planning laws (as were irish broadband by the sounds of it) but supposedly I do not have permission to attach any dish or aerial to the front of my house, only on the rear or on the chimney.

this is a very gray area but your neighbour is correct that the front is treated different to the back and that you may have a management company on your estate with policies as well.
    What I was hoping someone might be able to help me with is, how much clearance over my roof does an antenna like this need in order to receive a signal.

1m over and it must not sway. A sat dish can be below the apex by up to 1m and should not sway either.

On the other hand if there is a green area (not another house) in front of your house and a front garden too you could hoist the pole in the front garden , bedded in concrete, and attach both devices to it at c.10ft above ground level.

A front garden is not the facade of a house so there are no planning rules in front of the house but there are on the front of the house...if thats any help :p

Why people cannot simply agree on communal sky dishes is beyond me. My father dish does both his near neighbours as he has a clean shot through trees and they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Basically you need to mount it on the back wall of the house on a pole long enough to give it a clear view over the highest point of your roof. This will not work unless you have a flat roof or one with a very low pitch as the longest pole they are allowed use when installing the antenna is 10 foot. If using one any longer they have to use them staywires you see on long poles which they see as too much hassle for a residential connection.

You could ask them to try and get a signal at the rear from a different high-site or if you know anybody with the necessary tools move it yourself and put it on a long enough pole to clear the roof. There not much to it just bolt it to the wall and move the cable, 2 hours would do it if you had a suitable pole, when I had it I moved it from the chimney to the back wall as it came loose on the chimney.

Advertisement