Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis, Passat, or old BMW?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

If you were in the market for a new car, and wanted something along the lines of an Avensis or Passat, would you go for one of those, or would you go for a second-hand better-class motor, like a 3-Series perhaps?

I've also considered the Civic, which comes with everything as standard for less - for the sort of motor I'd like it's the best value I can find, though probably not my favorite.

Currently driving an old 1.8 Carisma GLX (GDI), and starting to think about what I'll replace it with next year.

All opinions appreciated.

- kcc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's really just a matter of what you want the Avensis or Passat should be boring but very reliable. The beemer should increase your pulse rate once you don't go for one with an underpowered engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KwaiChangCaine

Thanks tuxy - once it's got a 1.8 it'll have enough kick for me, sadly my boy-racer days are behind me now.

But I haven't owned many motors, and am hoping that a few opinions from more experienced hands can help me decide how best to spend what's probably about 30K on a motor.

Are there people out there that went with a second-hand BMW and wished they hadn't? Anyone sorry they went with the Avensis recently?

-kcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

go drive them all. simple as that.

my opinion changed after i drove a few cars from what i expected i would like.

drop into some dealers and drive one of eachy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Would you consider a Audi A4? Really nice comfy cars! If ur looking at Passat or Avensis, are you goin for diesal spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dish wrote:
    Would you consider a Audi A4? Really nice comfy cars! If ur looking at Passat or Avensis, are you goin for diesal spec?

OP mentions 1.8 so presume it is petrol.

To the OP I would throw the Ford Mondeo and Mazda 6 into the ring too. Both cars suffer from depreciation a bit more than the ones you mention but this means they make excellent used buys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Wud a 1.8 passat not drink petrol? 318 BM's are nice yea! but petrol again! Avensis not sure bout! Really comfy though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Honda Accord? Getting one next week from a main dealer for a day/night for a test drive,also getting the Honda Hybrid to test also.

Dish wrote:

Thanks Dish. I briefly drove an '06 A4 1.9 Diesel today. I did like it, very solid, good bit of power, and I liked the steering. Overall I liked it, but not blown away if you know what I mean.

I'm adding it to the list for a proper test drive, but at the moment I think I'd put it below a spec'ed up Passat.

Btw, the owner mentioned that normal services aren't cheap, especially for the timing belt, as the whole engine has to be dropped to gain access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Btw, the owner mentioned that normal services aren't cheap, especially for the timing belt, as the whole engine has to be dropped to gain access.

Nope. Undo a few bolts and the front end slides out enough to give you access to the TB cover.

bazz26 wrote:
    OP mentions 1.8 so presume it is petrol.

To the OP I would throw the Ford Mondeo and Mazda 6 into the ring too. Both cars suffer from depreciation a bit more than the ones you mention but this means they make excellent used buys.

Thanks Bazz - my current car is indeed a 1.8 petrol, but I'm not ruling out getting a 1.9 diesel either.

On the Mondeo, I sat in the one 2 weeks ago, and didn't even take it for a spin. The reason was the interior finish, which seemed very plasticy, I really didn't like it at all. If it was the best drive possible it wouldn't matter, I couldn't look at that finish every day :(

• Advertisement

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Nope. Undo a few bolts and the front end slides out enough to give you access to the TB cover.

Thanks Gil, I'll let him know, he may have been misinformed.

Not knowing much about engines, is undoing a few bolts something that isn't required on many cars for access? Maybe that's what he was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You don't have to do it on other cars, but it's something VAG dealers/techs like to hype up a bit. It's not a big deal to anyone who's up to the task of changing a timing belt in the first place....

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Second hand BMW 3/5-series everytime. As long as you buy one thats been well cared for and not too old, it should look and feel like a brand new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

always go for the second hand car, a 30k new car is a 30k car, a 30k second hand car depending on how old will have been anything from 50 -80k new and will feel like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You didn't mention what year of car you looking at or what budget you have. 1997 - 2005 Passat has the engine mounted length ways which means changing the timing belt is a difficult, more time consuming job. This is where the money is spent, man hours.

Honda Accord was mentioned, not a bad car but the last one available with a 1.8 litre petrol engine was back in 2003. The current one is 2.0 litre or greater.

Also since the OP is looking at 1.8./1.9 litre cars I would not bother with a BMW 316i/318i, a 320d would be much better. The 316i/318i are not worth the premium imo to be honest.

Other wild card entries would be the Rover 75 2.0 diesel, basically has a detuned version of the BMW turbo diesel engine from the 3 Series. The 75 can be bought cheap these days (though the diesels are a bit more pricey), spare parts are plentiful contrary to popular belief and the interior is one of the nicest in this class.

Another is the Skoda Superb 1.9 TDi, based on the last model Passat and uses the old Audi A6 platform. Rear legroom and boot are just huge, 1.9 TDi is straight out of the Passat/A4. Better standard kit than similar A4 or Passat.

Last one, Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 Multijet Turbo Diesel, can be bought cheapish, great FIAT diesel engine, needs a bit more tlc than any of the rest but a properly maintained one can be as reliable as any.

Advertisement