Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus splutter

Options
  • 05-08-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Papa's '00 GS300 Sport (auto) with something like 100k miles is having a bad intermittant splutter.

It's like a bad miss really. You would be driving along and it loses a lot of power and the smooth, quiet engine starts making a flug-flug-flug-flug-flug sound with matching vibration. If you pull over it idles in the same way.

It's worse at different times, Sometimes it's a mild annoyance, other times the car will barely accelerate and definitely no uphill.

Do these cars still have classic distributor caps? This would be my guess- or ignition leads maybe?

Keary's Lexus had this car and claimed they'd fixed it with new spark plugs (not flugs!) for €300. I picked it up at 5pm on that day, and it was no better. I about-faced but the foreman was gone home and the next day when He saw it, he said it was perfect. It runs perfectly more often htan not now, but it is still not right.

Any ideas?

Any Toyota/ Lexus indys in or around Cork who might help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

go on lads, shrug off that oul' porter head and give it a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Kearys are very good tbh. Go back to them and complain that they took €300 of your money and didn't fix anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You can’t expect a Lexus mechanic to fix it. Lexus don’t give any trouble so they have never learned to fix them.

You can’t expect a Lexus mechanic to fix it. Lexus don’t give any trouble so they have never learned to fix them.

There's truth to this. My theory is that as they get older, they filter out to the indys so all the main dealers see are brakes, oil and possibly the odd timing belt on newish cars. For the real f@cked up freaky stories, you have to go to indyland.

Having said that, they gave it a "full service" in Feb but kinda didn't touch the spark plugs or air filter. I wish I'd checked further to see what else they hadn't done. A couple of other repairs and the bill was €1200. So no, he wouldn't take it back there if his life depended on it....

But is there a distributor/ cap somewhere in there?

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote:
    But is there a distributor/ cap somewhere in there?

Dunno for sure but I would be very surprised if it had a Dizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I've signed up to that a while ago but I suspect the membership is dropping because the activity certainly is.

I will try again though.

Dunno for sure but I would be very surprised if it had a Dizzy

forgive my ignorance but what would be the alternative to a dizzy if it doesn't have one?

cantdecide wrote:
    forgive my ignorance but what would be the alternative to a dizzy if it doesn't have one?

That would be a coil pack or COP (coil on plug).

In the mean time I had a quick look at some data and it seems it may have a dizzy after all. If i was looking at the correct diagram, it showed just one coil so it must have. My data shows the coil to be on the drivers side inner wing. You should be able to follow to King lead from that to find the dizzy.

Sorry about the bad info.

• Advertisement

http://beta.lexus-parts.com/dwg_zoom.asp?id=3247

Going by this diagram, I think you were right first time Mr.diagnostic. Am I right in thinking it's two plugs to one coil here? If the head mechanic in Kearys interfeered with the setup as he changed the plugs, it might have had a temporary effect.

If one of the coils was on the blink, it would make it splutter badly yes? If one of the leads was knackered, it would probably only knock out one cylinder and it would surely be constant.

Would the power loss of 2 cylinders be great? Enough to stop it accelerating?

GOTCHA!! 90919-11007

The little rubber insulation shield. We saw an arc going out from under the coil so a quick bodge has the engine literally firing on all cylinders again. Off to keary's tomorrow for a replacement costing a handful of buttons and some pocket lint.

It boggles the mind that when Keary's had the bloody thing out in their hand, why they couldn't check this part. You could see the tear with your mouth:rolleyes: :rolleyes: that was €300 for not knowing your job!!

Advertisement