Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men wearing Pink...

• 05-08-2007 6:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is there still a stigma about this? Its 2007 and some people still think men can not wear pink unless you are gay - its ridiculous. I have one pink shirt I wear in work, and another that is more suited to going out. I also occasionally wear a pink T-Shirt. Mostly I get compliments on them, but you still always get a few who don't agree...

What do you think?

Can men wear Pink? 53 votes

Of Course! its a cool colour!
    0% 0 votes
    Hmm, it Depends... (please specify what)
    66% 35 votes
    No, Pink is for women and fags
    33% 18 votes

Comments

I voted no, not because of the supposed stigma, but because I basically don't like it as a colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I voted it depends... on the colour not been pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sorry OP, I think it looks ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason any man should want to wear pink.

Walk into any toy store and go to the girls section. It will be 99% pink. There is a reason for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

It's actually quite funny- I see more straight 'chavs' wearing pink than I do "fags"... Yet pink... oh wait 'salmon' (lets be PC here people) is seen as a gay colour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't associate it with gays at all. As they are men.

Young girls and women? Most definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zascar wrote:
    What do you think?
    I think I should call the fashion police.

Generally I find the guys who wear pink are the ones who are trying to send out an uber-matco signal, especially in the business world.

Personally I don't even think that pink looks good on a woman, so there's your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^Agreed. Pink is horrible even on women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Pink is fine if you're a bunny who works for Duracell otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no problems with anyone wearing pink at all, but it's when they start denying it or saying "it's not pink, it's salmon/off-red/reddish-white" that irks me.

if you're going to wear pink at least have the balls to admit it's pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Zascar wrote:
    Why is there still a stigma about this? Its 2007 and some people still think men can not wear pink unless you are gay - its ridiculous.

Sorry but its as twattish as 14 year old boys with spiked blonde hair and two fake diamonds in each ear (no better way to deflate a junior skangs ego than to tell hm that the above is gayer....eh.....something gay):p I dont necessarily think a pink shirt wearer is gay, just self obsessed.

It looks stupid, and it was only in for about 2 months last summer, then disappeared (along with charity wristbands, anyone recall them? :D Bought one or two myself for the cause, but bollix if i was actually gonna wear one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I think it depends on the guy. It suits some. I find it goes well with dark haired guys and not so well with blondes.
    I don't think there is anything gay about a guy wearing pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I have some pink clothing, just another colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i hate the colour i think it looks horrible on man woman or child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I just think it is sad that some men would only wear it now because it is safe and in fashion, whereas they wouldnt be caught dead in the colour a few years ago. I don't like light pink myself, but it does suit some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tbh, it looks good on some people, others it would look stupid.. same for light-green colours, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

i hate the colour i think it looks horrible on man woman or child
    I also hate pink... more than any other colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't think it looks nice on guys, same as khaki doesn't look nice on girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Pink = Fruits / Posers
    Why would any guy want to fall into one of these categories.
    I don't think pink looks ok on anyone bar maybe blonde girls for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Pink = Fruits / Posers
    Why would any guy want to fall into one of these categories.

seems to be working for you...

I always find these threads funny - I see it as just another colour.

I have a few pink shirts - and a pink tie.The colour works for me, as does others so I use them.
    Yellow, for instance, doesn't so I don't wear it.

That said, some people do think I'm a poser... but that definition seems to extend to anyone who wears a shirt with a collar and french cuffs instead of a hoodie..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I picked the third option, but I feel your poll was flawed. While I don't believe that pink is just for women or 'fags', as you put it, I do feel it is just plain wrong for a man to wear pink. I don't own any items of pink clothing and I shall try to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Zascar wrote:
    Why is there still a stigma about this? Its 2007 and some people still think men can not wear pink unless you are gay - its ridiculous. I have one pink shirt I wear in work, and another that is more suited to going out. I also occasionally wear a pink T-Shirt. Mostly I get compliments on them, but you still always get a few who don't agree...

What do you think?

I don't think it's anything to to dwith the stigma at all, the majority of men (that I know) don't like the colour it's actually an awful colour, and even as a man if you do like the colour it takes a certain type of skin type/colour hair colour to pull it off well.

plus, you *do* look gay. it's not a stigma, it does factually *look* gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I have a casual pink shirt and I am not a gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Pink is great. Don't go overboard though. And forget it if you're not some way tanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shirts, polo shirts, no problem.

Jumpers, cardigans, t-shirts no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

It used to be only poser Blokes Wore Pink. ....matching Spikey hair do's and Ripped Jeans. now i think its a little bit more Acceptable. but i still know an awful lot of ppl who just think it looks Gay. I Think it looks alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I prefer pink on guys than on girls...
    But it depends on the shade, and the person wearing it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

ye im a lad and i wear a bit a pink,all i get is compliments off birds and some **** who tink im soft cos im wearin pink,bottom line dont be afraid ta wear wat ye want,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Pink is the sexiest colour for a guy to wear IMO....it's gorgeous on most men. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Pink is the sexiest colour for a guy to wear IMO....it's gorgeous on most men. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It's better than canary yellow or lemon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I wore a shirt once with only faint amounts of pink and was pilloried for it!

When I was a kid back in the 80s Hot Pink on guys was all the rage. This was also around the dawn of the day-glo stuff! I think it was perceived as tropical and Miami Vice was popular at the time. Generally though I think I could go without seeing pink on guys ... or even women for that matter. It's not a great colour and it lacks something. Leave pink for pre-teen girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Pink polo shirts, generally only worn by skangers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sizzler wrote:
    Pink polo shirts, generally only worn by skangers!

Yea, strangely enough! They also have those manky green & white horzitonal lines on them too.

I could never wear pink!! It's a girl's colour and has been since............eh, I presume the Big Bang. Like someone said earlier, you walk into a toy store and go to the girl's section you'll be overwhelmed with the damn colour. Barbie is marketed on awful colour!! A 14 year old lad would look grand going to school in pink.

I can't buy any food if it's wrapped in pink either, just reminds me of prawn cocktail or some other mank flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Cremo wrote:
    if you're going to wear pink at least have the balls to admit it's pink.

Surely that's an oxymoron !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

This reminds of when I was in Abercrombie in Fl. This women was asking a male member of staff if it was ok for men to wear pink (she wanted to buy a pink polo for her husband] and he just laughed and said if he is comfortable in his sexuality then yes you should get it for him. I agree.

However some men can carry it off better then others. Just don't pair it with diamond earrrings and just be prepared to defend yourself for any slagging you may get. [Not saying that you will get slagged]

=]

Surely that's an oxymoron !
    yes, since it took so long for someone to point it out just highlights my point. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

a pink shirt, not a polo shirt or tee shirt is grand, but i wouldn't wear one as i rarely wear shirts. i think it's not a gay colour, it's just when topman, next, etc decide on something everyone wears it no matter how ridiculous it looks (sleeveless hoodies or hooded tee-shirts anyone?).
    i dont wear pink as i dont like the colour, but frankly i dont like the clothes that end up pink, i hate the sort of shirt with the random town sports team 19xx formula.

eg, "san diego bears 1983"

JIZZLORD wrote:
    a pink shirt, not a polo shirt or tee shirt is grand, but i wouldn't wear one as i rarely wear shirts. i think it's not a gay colour, it's just when topman, next, etc decide on something everyone wears it no matter how ridiculous it looks (sleeveless hoodies or hooded tee-shirts anyone?).
    i dont wear pink as i dont like the colour, but frankly i dont like the clothes that end up pink, i hate the sort of shirt with the random town sports team 19xx formula.

eg, "san diego bears 1983"
    ditto, anything with a date on it irks me tbh, it's like you're in a competition to see who's got the oldest date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fergus_O

God I think pink on men looks absolutely ridiculous. I think many of them are trying out the whole "I'm so confident and comfortable with myself I don't care" kind of thing.

It's terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, doesn't even look good on females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

In my opinion pink/salmon/whatever looks terrible on men. For those of you that think it works as a colour, any chance of linking to some pictures to back up your claim?

Pink on a man is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

pink is good on some men!!! just like women some colours just dont suit some people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

men wearing pink is as gay as men perusing a Fashion & Appearance forum :D (neither are!)

but tis true, suits some better than others - dark hair, dark skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Just no - no no no no no

The worst is pink lacoste - horribly chavvy

Although now that I think about it, it does suit some guys but it has to be done right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I think that like all colours/styles that it suits some people whereas it doesn't suit others.

However some men can really carry it off and it looks great. I think if the guy is stylish but also has a bit of sense of humour about how he dresses (i.e. not dressing like Coco the clown but realising the stereotypes and playing with the image a bit), then it can look FANTASTIC!

That said, I have to confess that, as a previous poster mentioned, it does carry some connotations with braying, uber-macho(or so they think), self-congratulatory men who aspire to be like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

Having spent a few rather pleasant hours in the champagne tent at the Galway Races during ladies day last week, I do feel like I never want to see another pink shirt, french-cuffed shirt or branded pair of sunglasses for a while (and thats only the men :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I must admit I have a few pink garments in my wardrobe.

Advertisement