Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eye dominance

Options
  • 05-08-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I was at a NARGC proficiency course yesterday and was surprised to find almost 50% of right-handers there were left eye dominant. :eek:
    I had no idea that it was so common. So I am trying to decide which shoulder I will shoot off. The left just feels so awkward. :(

Would like to hear what other people who are right handed and left eye dominant(or visa versa) feel on the subject

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

My father is right handed but turned out to be left eye dominant so he switched to shooting left handed , it was a bit of a learning curve without doubt but he says he has never looked back since . He even had his beretta modified to be more left hand friendly . So it definitely is possible to switch hands in such a case despite how weird it might seem at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

tuxy wrote:
    I was at a NARGC proficiency course yesterday and was surprised to find almost 50% of right-handers there were left eye dominant. :eek:
    I had no idea that it was so common. So I am trying to decide which shoulder I will shoot off. The left just feels so awkward. :(

Would like to hear what other people who are right handed and left eye dominant(or visa versa) feel on the subject

I am one of those cross-dominant people, and I know a few more who are as well. The best advice is to shoot with your dominant side rather than eye as the difficulties encountered in changing sides are far harder than using a different eye.

With rifle shooting you have to get a left handed rifle so that's all your kit out the window, on top of that the fine motor co-ordination of your dominant hand is far better than your non-dominant, so some trigger feel will be lost.

Some people use different aproaches, one chap I know uses a crossover sight (using a periscope) so that he can sight with the left eye and shoot right-handed.

I have been shooting right eyed and right handed all my life, and I only discovered recently when I took up pistol shooting that I actually can consciously shift my eye dominance. It's a wierd feeling when you do it, my point of aim shifts radically and it feels a bit like I am shutting down the input from my left eye.

It's a bit easier to use a blinder though, helps to shut off the input without having to consciously do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

For me eye dominance and being a lefty or righty
    is all muddled up. I can only advice do what "feels" right.

I am both left handed and right handed but not ambidextrous.
    Some things I do left handed and some things I do right handed.

I'm left handed but right eye dominant.

In saying that I write with my left and, use a toothbrush,
    a spoon, paintbrush and a few other things with my left hand.

I also do classical fencing in my spare time.
    With a French Foil a lighter weapon I use my
    left hand to fence, with an Italian Rapier which is a heavier weapon
    I use my right hand.

Shooting I am right shouldered and right handed and to try it
    left shouldered or left handed feels wrong to me.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What was the course? Was it the deer shoting one? Is it on again this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

I'd give my left arm to be ambexderious.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Boom boom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I've always gone with what feel comfortable.

I am Right handed and Left eye dominant - my right eye is a lazy eye so virtually does nothing while the other is open.

I mount a long gun to the left shoulder and I have no problems. (bar the fact that most rifes are right handed bolts and most semi/pump shotguns eject to the right :-)

With a pistol I shoot right handed. I have tried drawing and shooting left handed and whereas it is do-able it doesn't feel comfortable and my co-ordination with the left hand is nowhere as good as the right.

This makes it look a bit weird when I shoot pistol as I am aiming with my left eye and firing with my right hand but it works (sometimes :-) )

Weird!!

Advertisement