Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Insurance

• 05-08-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know where you can get insurance for a phone if you've bought it sim free?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could put it on your house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Mobile phone insurance is generally poor value for money. Your premium will be at least €5 per month and most mobile phone insurance will not cover you for water damage. Water damage is a common diagnosed cause of faulty phones - whether or not it is the actual cause of most faults remains to be seen. To make a claim you will incur an excess fee of at least €30 if it's your first claim within a twelve month period (this fee is higher, usually double, if it's your second claim or more in the same period). To add to this if your phone is unusual (that's to say if it's not available in Ireland and you bought it SIM-free imported) then it's unlikely you'll be given the exact same make and model as replacement. Instead they'll supply you with a make and model of similar value and specification. Overall the cost of the insurance is close to buying a cheap pay as you go model to keep you going until your next upgrade. If you still choose to go with insurance you'll find that all phone insurance offered with any of the Operators or even the Carphone Warehouse will cover whatever phone you have so long as you have proof of purchase. Just beware that some insurance won't cover you if you need to make a claim within the first month or two of the cover you take out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Slice wrote:
    Mobile phone insurance is generally poor value for money. Your premium will be at least €5 per month and most mobile phone insurance will not cover you for water damage. Water damage is a common diagnosed cause of faulty phones - whether or not it is the actual cause of most faults remains to be seen. To make a claim you will incur an excess fee of at least €30 if it's your first claim within a twelve month period (this fee is higher, usually double, if it's your second claim or more in the same period).

Not quite true. I have my phone insured by carphone warehouse (where i bought it) and they do cover water damage. its 13.75 a month and the excess is 40 (this is for band E phones, other policies are cheaper) and afaik the excess does not go up after multiple claims, and you get the exact same phone if its still availble, if not one of equal spec or value.

however, i dont think they insure phones they dont sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well guys,
    its true insurance on o2 is 5.99/month and first 60 days of policy you can not claim and same with vodafone.
    second most of time they give you other options even phone is still in shop as insurance company dont buy from o2 or from vodafone they have their own supplier.
    and first claim 32 euor and second 72 and you can claim two time in 12 month (in true its 10 months as you can not claim in first 60days).
    and if (in most cases) your insured set is not available they give options and 2 out of 4 options are expensive phone and you have to pay for that as well. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

I can't say I've tried these people, but I remember seeing someone here mention them before:

PhonesOnline.ie

They offer insurance on a month-by-month basis so you can cancel anytime, and prices start at €6.99 per month. I'm tempted to give them a go myself, as I'd hate to have anything happen my N95 and have to fork out for another one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement