Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Practising outside of lessons...

Options
  • 05-08-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I have 2 lessons a week currently and am waiting for a cancellation. My instructor says I can control the car fine, I just need to get used to being on the roads etc. so my dad got me added onto his insurance and takes me out every evening for around 45 minutes....but....well things aren't going too well.

Twice today he wrenched the wheel out of my hand for pulling in to let oncoming traffic pass, convinced I was going to smack into the parked cars when in reality, although I was close to the bumper, I was well aware of my road position. Every time we go out he yells at me over something and in my last lesson my instructor said I'd gotten WORSE since the one before :(

I am in line for a cancellation and circumstances mean I absolutely have to get a licence soon. Is it possible to pass with just lessons or should I go and get my own car?!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Simple guide - don't go out with a friend or relative!
    Follow the advice of your instructor and ask them what they think you should do as they know your level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Certainly don't go out with anyone who would wrench the steering wheel while you are driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Is it possible to pass with just lessons though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

ellscurr wrote:
    Is it possible to pass with just lessons though?

You are more likely to pass with just lessons,

Drinving without an instructor lets you develop bad habits.

You should do a few lessons, until you feel able to drive. Then try a pretest.

Then a few more lessons and another pretest.

Then apply for your test and get regular lessons until you do the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

U can do pre tests??? I never heard of them! Cool!

Yea my dad use to do the same! Thats why i dont like driving with family!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Most instructors will do them for you - both you and they have to take it seriously tho, meaning that you should start/stop at the test centre and there should be no talk except for directions during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

WellyJ wrote:
    You should do a few lessons, until you feel able to drive. Then try a pretest.

Then a few more lessons and another pretest.

Then apply for your test and get regular lessons until you do the test
    Given the waiting times, it would be more appropriate to apply for a test as soon as possible! ;)

Advertisement