Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil / Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote:
    yeh but that's effort like, wouldn't it be easier for retards to just think oh hey you got the same name as the first american on the moon.

Hehe, that reminds me of a particular video clip:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Happens to me as well. My name is spelled Niall but pronounced Neil. Everyone gets it wrong. I blame my parents.
    well that's fair enough!

if my name was patricia but pronounced it daniel i'd expect others to get it wrong some of the time.

on a side note; my name is niall and a lot of people get it wrong. the worst is in america where they call me Nialls (from frasier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

bohsman wrote:
    Oscar Fred - its 50 50 as to wheter theyll decide that my first name is Fred, sometimes even after asking me and me correcting them.

I come accross that alot in work but to be honest I think its just the way some database contacts are first/last name and others last/first name :D

But seeing as this is the interweb, my advice is just change your damm last name to Smith and save everyone the hassle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

But is some of the bad prononciation due to regional accents. For instance with a northern Irish accent it would be hard to tell if they are saying Neil or Niall, Aengus /Angus. But the best is when they say shot or shoot an we in the south hear **** or ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cremo wrote:
    yeh but that's effort like, wouldn't it be easier for retards to just think oh hey you got the same name as the first american on the moon.
    No man, thats just too hard for them to take in.

I know a Niall and when he introduces himself to people a lot will reply "Oh Hi Neil"

Its just stupid. Its like people calling me Grey when my name is Greg. How the hell does someone come up with that? (even though its only happened once or twice in my life) And it is not down to my accent - I am well able to pronounce my own name. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I get it all the time too, no matter how many times i tell people my name is Anthony, they still insist on calling me You big f*cking pr*ck.

Weird or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mayosteve99

Im Niall And People usually know cause Neil is a protestant name and mostly up the north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

farohar wrote:
    Niall is an Irish name that should be pronounced neel (or Neil as the Brits decided to spell it).
    Neil is the phonetic (incorrectly spelled) version that the English use (now you see where the Yanks got the stupid habit of spelling everything phonetically).
    I'm surprised to learn this. My Gaelgóir brother-in-law would be very upset to realise that he picked the less-Irish version of spelling my nephew's name. His own name is spelled with as many extra consonants as his parents could cram into it, making it very confusing for the rest of us to remember how to spell it correctly.

My name's Denise, and for whatever reason, whenever people forget my name, they always call me Deirdre. It's happened a number of times. I've also had to stop people from spelling it Deniece. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My dad's name is Hugh, and in the town he lives in, many many people call him 'Q'. (not as a nickname, they just can't get their heads around Hugh?!'

I see dumb people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

My younger brothers name is Niall, and being six foot three most people got it right first go!

My name is Eric and I'm often called Derek, I could care less. Our sister Sonya had it way worse, idiots prefer to say Sonja? WTF?

At least Cormac gets to be called Core, much easier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I often get people calling me "Adrian" and it pisses me off as well. It's Aidan, not Adrian you fúckwits! :mad:

Another one that gets me is how a lot of people go about spelling my name. People are forever spelling it Aiden. It's not, it's Aidan! I've even had people spell it some really weird ways over the years such as Aidean, Aedain, Aden, Aedan, for example.

Jaysus, I mean, come on, how difficult is it to say or spell Aidan, eh? :rolleyes:
    I hear you! It's constantly misspelt. I'm sure you've also been in situations where you might have sent an e-mail, with your name at the bottom, and in the reply your name is still misspelt, most typically as "Aiden".
    You'd think it'd be a bit easier nowadays (I recall "Aidan" was in the Top 10 Boys names in the US a couple of years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Musashi wrote:

My name is Eric and I'm often called Derek, I could care less.

Thats what Americans say however they mean to say I couldn't care less, saying you could care less means you do actually care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Has anyone noticed the plethora of Darrens, Warrens,Waynes, Duanes, Jasons etc that seem to appear before the courts these days?It seems that people with those kind of plastic first names are predisposed to a life of crime. It's been said that certain postal addresses in Dublin are seen as a disadvantage when submitting a cv, but first names can be indicative of a certain "type" also, so future parents go easy on those first names.
    But then again has anyone heard a spokesman on some health matters who appears on radio every so often- a Doctor Roland Boland, and I joke you not.
    But maybe with a name like that, there was enough incentive for him to achieve higher things as Roland Boland, blocklayer woul'dnt survive on a site very long. The "boy named Sue" syndrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'm a Helen and people constantly call me Ellen (kind of understandable), Eileen, Aileen or Evelyn. :confused:

My e-mail address is helen.surname@companyname.com and people still insist of referring to me as Hellen, Helan or Hellan. Seriously H-E-L-E-N; how tough is that?

Oh, and call me Hells or Hellie and you will be hung up on. Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Hagar wrote:
    Dear Frankly Ridiculous,

Tell us your real name and we will use it.

My real name is Christopher James Pearse Burke, What's yours?

Hagar.
    It's not that ridiculous really but it's unusual and subject to many mispronunciations. If there were fadas I would write it with fadas. There aren't, so stop pronouncing it as though there were :(

Yours,
    Bhfrainc Laoi Ri Dhuiceolais

I don't like having my real name out on messageboards, but it's easy enough to find if you poke around in my sig a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Musashi wrote:
    My younger brothers name is Niall, and being six foot three most people got it right first go!

My name is Eric and I'm often called Derek, I could care less. Our sister Sonya had it way worse, idiots prefer to say Sonja? WTF?

At least Cormac gets to be called Core, much easier.

What could you care less about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Anto McC wrote:
    I get it all the time too, no matter how many times i tell people my name is Anthony, they still insist on calling me You big f*cking pr*ck.

:D

Ones that I mix up are Susan + Suzanne, Kathleen + Cathrine... not always the best head for names Im afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

seriously, my name gets mucked about so many times i dont even try anymore to get i across properly. sometimes if i'm lucky and they get to know me long enough someone else will kindly fill them in, but, hell i've had people i've known for a good while see a letter or something with my name on it and go "Oh that's your actual name is it? i always though it was a nickname or something...". I could make a list of everything i've been called but frankly, i'd probably run out of room here.

oh my name is Benen. it's not even hard. Ben with an extra "en".

some of you guys are bitchin' bout 'nutin :rolleyes:

Edit: oh and going back a few pages here, but Conn is short for Connell :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My name is Martin, usually first timers call me 'Mark' (esp. Americans <idiots>). I used to correct people, now I just don't bother.

I used to work on the door of Fitzsimmons (Templebar) for a few year's with a really good mate. His name was Mark, so Brit's or American chic's would be out having a laugh and ask our names.... "Martin & Mark".. "Ah, M&m"... "Yea, we melt in your mouth not in your hands" ...:D ... Lads you would not believe the amount of times that one worked ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Myth wrote:
    Yes... just without the fada.

Well those people should be shot for being so simple. Why would you spell you're name wrong in you email address?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've got a weird name. At this point I automatically respond to anything that sounds remotely like it.

There is also a name which is just Conn. It's from Celtic mythology, the Children of Lir iirc.
    Usually when a name is being shortened to Con, the short version is spelt with one 'n'.

Hermione* wrote:
    There is also a name which is just Conn. It's from Celtic mythology, the Children of Lir iirc.
    Usually when a name is being shortened to Con, the short version is spelt with one 'n'.

Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hermione* wrote:
    ...content of post unimportant...
    Actually, this is the name from Harry Potter, right?

I've never seen any of the films, and have only read the first couple of books.

How do you pronounce this name?

Hair-me-own?

Hair-my-own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mairt wrote:
    My name is Martin, usually first timers call me 'Mark' (esp. Americans <idiots>). I used to correct people, now I just don't bother.

I used to work on the door of Fitzsimmons (Templebar) for a few year's with a really good mate. His name was Mark, so Brit's or American chic's would be out having a laugh and ask our names.... "Martin & Mark".. "Ah, M&m"... "Yea, we melt in your mouth not in your hands" ...:D ... Lads you would not believe the amount of times that one worked ;)

CLASSIC:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mairt wrote:

I used to work on the door of Fitzsimmons (Templebar)
    :rolleyes:

Double standards much?

Fitzsimons

There are actually two different names, both spelled and pronounced differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

seansouth wrote:

Hair-me-own?

Hair-my-own?

Her-my-oh-nee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Since moving to Dublin I've had so much problem with people mispronuncing my name-

It's Pádraig and I constantly get Pauraic or Paurig. (I have a 'D' and a 'G' in my name, pronounce them). Even when I correct people they still don't listen. So I've started reverting to an abbreviated form of my name- Paudie and STILL I'll be lucky if people get it 8 times out of 10 (I get Paul sometimes- where the hell did that come from)

As for spelling: Paudie is spelled Padi, Paudy, Poddy and various other variants even though I sign off every e-mail with it.

Explaining the pronounciation to Yanks is fun also. "Paw-Dee". I'm not sure half of em get it.

Thank you. :)
    You're welcome. I could anticipate your reaction even before I got to read your post ;)
    seansouth wrote:

Hair-me-own?

Hair-my-own?
    I was going to answer you, but I see I was beaten to it. The name Hermione also features in Greek mythology and Shakespeare (which is why JK Rowling choose it for that character), but somehow people only ever comment on the Harry Potter reference :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

lemansky wrote:
    No matter how clearly I pronounce Darragh it always becomes Darren or Darryl, much like the way AC described above. Very annoying.

My name is Daryl. Five letters, one r and one l. How hard can that be?

Not Darryl, Daryll, Darryll, Darrell, Darell, Deryl, Darren, Darragh or Dara. One lecturer in college insisted on calling me Dayrel because he heard that pronunciation in America. Two years later in another lecture, he did it again!

In German in first year, my class consisted of a Daryl, Darragh, Dara and Darren. All four of us would answer if our names sounded like being called out.

Can you tell it bugs me?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

seansouth wrote:

Hair-me-own?

Hair-my-own?

It's pronounced "Mary Sue", i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Happens to me as well. My name is spelled Niall but pronounced Neil. Everyone gets it wrong. I blame my parents.

The fact that i have had to endure many years of "niall" is all your parents' fault. You b*stards. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

im niall but some people remember me as neil, mostly older people for some reason.my ski instructer in austria knew me as noel :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually another one - people replying often call me "ioxy". It's not just people mistyping as people, at Boards beers, have genuinely thought it "ioxy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Niall (nile) is the river.Neil as in knell. Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ive the same problem!! my name is niall and people that i tell it to tend ta forget it sometimes and drift in and out, im niall one day and neil the next!1 its jus got to a stage i dont bother correcting them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Niall (nile) is the river.Neil as in knell. Simple

Neil as in kneel actually.......................................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Used to work with lots of English people, would get called "Sean" or "Cyan" if they saw my name written down first, or would have it written down "Keane" if they spoke to me before seeing it written down. Its not that hard a name, really...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

astrofool wrote:
    Neil as in kneel actually.......................................................................................

OH YEA, apologies, had a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

My name is Donall and the amount of times I've been called Diarmuid is unbelievable! They're not even similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I haven't found one person who's ever been able to pronounce my full name just from reading it!

It was always so embarrassing at the start of the school year when the teacher would be calling out the roll for the first time and would get as far as my name and make an absolute balls of it!! It doesn't bother me now but when i was younger i was mortified!!

It's Lucina btw...not that difficult at all..but I just go by Lucy...waaay easier and less explaining where it came from!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Spare a thought for the Eoghans of this world. If I had a euro for every time someone in a call centre asked me "so is that E-o-i-n, or O-w-e-n" I'd probably have about €17. And if you work with yanks - stone me - after they've seen your name in e-mail it's all 'hi aygone', 'hi you-an' 'hi egan'. Wouldn't change it for the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

seansouth wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Double standards much?

Fitzsimons

There are actually two different names, both spelled and pronounced differently.

When I worked there it was FITZSIMMON'S, for the reason's mentioned in my little tail of woe the second M had to be removed when I left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The reason that older people pronounce 'Niall' as 'Neeyull' is that this is the correct pronunciation. The 'Nyle' business came in in the sixties as an affectation and seems to be sticking, unfortunately.

Everyone gets their name mispronounced unless it's one of four or five standard current favourites. I answer to anything, and I've even changed the way I normally spell my name to stop people saying "What? Are you sure?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dfx- wrote:
    My name is Daryl. Five letters, one r and one l. How hard can that be?

Not Darryl, Daryll, Darryll, Darrell, Darell, Deryl, Darren, Darragh or Dara. One lecturer in college insisted on calling me Dayrel because he heard that pronunciation in America. Two years later in another lecture, he did it again!

In German in first year, my class consisted of a Daryl, Darragh, Dara and Darren. All four of us would answer if our names sounded like being called out.

Can you tell it bugs me?:D

I think I'll just call you Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

trust me, i know _ALL_ about it..

how hard is it to pronounce a fking name!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The-Rigger wrote:
    I think I'll just call you Dave.

Is that you, Trigger? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

I get called Neil alot. I just kneel on the ground when some ones says it and then ask why do you want me to kneel. or I just dont acknowledge them. then start calling them different names. what annoyes me most is when you correct them and they still call me Neil a minute later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yeah, that can get annoying.

-> Hey how's it going X
    » My name is Y
    -> oh, sorry about that. so anyway, how's tricks X?

• Advertisement
Advertisement