Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil / Niall

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

yeah, that can get annoying.

-> Hey how's it going X
    » My name is Y
    -> oh, sorry about that. so anyway, how's tricks X?

You're name is X. Are you some sort of a secret CIA operative or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hermione* wrote:
    My name's Denise, and for whatever reason, whenever people forget my name, they always call me Deirdre. It's happened a number of times. :
    Which is an Irish person more likely to be called though? I think this one I can at least understand.

dfx- wrote:
    My name is Daryl. Five letters, one r and one l. How hard can that be?

Not Darryl, Daryll, Darryll, Darrell, Darell, Deryl, Darren, Darragh or Dara. One lecturer in college insisted on calling me Dayrel because he heard that pronunciation in America. Two years later in another lecture, he did it again!
    Wait he did it then did it again 2 years later!? How's that "insisted"?!?? Oh no! someone got my name wrong twice, I'm going to dwell on this for the rest of my life! Have you not got anything better to do?:confused:
    giddyup wrote:
    Spare a thought for the Eoghans of this world. If I had a euro for every time someone in a call centre asked me "so is that E-o-i-n, or O-w-e-n" I'd probably have about €17. And if you work with yanks - stone me - after they've seen your name in e-mail it's all 'hi aygone', 'hi you-an' 'hi egan'. Wouldn't change it for the world!
    Again I'd say that this, like the Niall/Neil issue, is a case of you blame those who anglecised the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Cremo wrote:
    Ok as some of you might know my name is Neil.

I was out there at a party over the weekend and was introducing myself to people I didn't know - as you do - started off with "Hi, I'm Neil" etc.

During the night i then bump into the person again and they say "Ohh hi Niall".
    now it could have been down to the drinking but it got me thinking that I've gotten this all the time right through primary and secondary school and from lecturers in college.

Like how ****ing hard is it to differentiate the two names?

Any other Neil's agree?

Does it happen to Niall's in the reverse order as in your name is Niall and you get called Neil?

hmmm...
    my name's Mark, and everybody called me Martin, so that's why I changed my name to The Bollox. easy to remember

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Bollox wrote:
    my name's Mark, and everybody called me Martin, so that's why I changed my name to The Bollox. easy to remember

Must make job interviews a bit of a bitch though. "So eh...Mr......eh.....Bollox"

The is my title. it is in the same league as Sir or Dr. I am The Bollox

The Bollox wrote:
    The is my title. it is in the same league as Sir or Dr. I am The Bollox

That does make more sense. Is your first name Dogs by any chance?

I don't have a first name. I don't need one. does Sir Lancelot have a first name? I think not!

The Bollox wrote:
    I don't have a first name. I don't need one. does Sir Lancelot have a first name? I think not!

I think that was his first name. His full name is Sir Lancelot du loc or something like that I believe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

i hate introducing myself to people it is always the same
    Whats your name?
    Zondra
    What Sandra?
    No Zondra
    Oh how do you spell that?
    Zondra
    Isthat the posh version of Sandra?
    It wrecks my head, i just answer to anything now

lezizi wrote:
    i hate introducing myself to people it is always the same
    Whats your name?
    Zondra
    What Sandra?
    No Zondra
    Oh how do you spell that?
    Zondra
    Isthat the posh version of Sandra?
    It wrecks my head, i just answer to anything now

Interesting, never heard of that name before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Used to refer to myself as J.P. but most people would confuse this as P.J. which is grand when by myself but i have a brother called D.J which adds to the fun of things.

I usually just call myself John now.

I think that was his first name. His full name is Sir Lancelot du loc or something like that I believe. :)
    what? dammit

well lets pretend that he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just go with Merlin.

Terry wrote:
    Just go with Merlin.

Merlin Ambrose.

Terry wrote:
    Just go with Merlin.
    I am looking for someone with a title like Sir or Dr with only one name

The Bollox wrote:

He was a Sage and was referred to as Sage Merlin but as I pointed out above Merlin still won't do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'm Neil, get called Niall a lot. Irish teacher in school told me that the Irish for Neil is Niall and the Irish for Niall is Neil. WTF? Lately a lot of people seem to think I'm saying Liam instead of Neil which is slightly offputting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The Bollox wrote:
    Dr. Sir ? Would that do?;)
    jdivision wrote:
    I'm Neil, get called Niall a lot. Irish teacher in school told me that the Irish for Neil is Niall and the Irish for Niall is Neil. WTF? Lately a lot of people seem to think I'm saying Liam instead of Neil which is slightly offputting.
    What he meant was that the Irish pronounciation for both is Neil, but the Irish spelling for both is Niall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

My name is Adam so I usually get Alan, sometimes Andy.

I've even had people send me emails (to the address that goes adam.maguire @ etc.etc.) and call me Alan in them. Morons.

I've stopped correcting people who I know I'll never speak to again, though, like people on the phone etc. - I only correct when it's someone who's going to need to remember my name for any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

My name is Orla which constantly gets confused for Laura and Paula

Hadn't really annoyed me before but now that I think about it - it's pretty irritating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Orlee wrote:
    My name is Orla which constantly gets confused for Laura and Paula

Hadn't really annoyed me before but now that I think about it - it's pretty irritating!
    you're lucky you don't get called Oral like a Orla i know after someone's bad typing skills :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

yup i get that same prob, my family and childhood friends call me neil but in primary secondary and even now people call me niall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Does anyone get that they are always called by their older brother or Dads first names?! Name could be John,brother is Mark.

4th cousin: 'Oh hey Mark.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

farohar wrote:
    Hermione* wrote:
    My name's Denise, and for whatever reason, whenever people forget my name, they always call me Deirdre. It's happened a number of times. I've also had to stop people from spelling it Deniece. :rolleyes:
    Which is an Irish person more likely to be called though? I think this one I can at least understand.
    It's not the most exotic name ever tbh. And it's still both odd and annoying that those people who can't remember my name always pick the same name by which to incorrectly address me. Fortunately, the majority of people can handle the 'exoticness' of my name without getting confused. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I just get the Irish version of my name...Caitríona. Which has made me hate that name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Hah, ye got it easy. I get Dennis. Oh, the variations. Is that one n or two. Denise? Dennis the menace, etc etc. Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I have a cousin named Niall and he gets called Neil the odd time but nothing on the scale of what your talking about...

For the first 3 years of secondary school my english teacher called me Kevin, regardless of how many times i said "it's Stephen"...i guess they sound a little similar ish... but very annoying none the less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

HavoK wrote:
    Only knew one Neil ever, at work, and yes everyone called him Niall. An interesting question though you're raised. why does this happen?
    Probably because people are spas and too lazy to remember tbh
    Get called David instead of Damien but that's only due to them mishearing. Once they know they know it. Being corrected and continuing is just plain thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

When I was travelling, people used to have a problem pronouncing my name.. so I would say its Niall like the river and most people got it from there..

I have been called Neil, Noel and based on the country was in their dialect rendition of it and Brian on occassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have a pretty unexciting name, Brendan..........................not much anyone can do with it except, suprise suprise, call me..........wait for it...........Brenda!!! *chortle, chortle*

Fúck all people can pronounce or spell my second name despite it being a typical Irish name!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Is it Duggan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

try being called Neil with ginger hair
    "Neil! Neil! Orange peel!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Terry wrote:
    Is it Duggan?

:eek: Woah, freaky!! That's one way people try to say my name despite it sounding completely different and spelt different. Still, you were close...............freak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

superfly wrote:

I get that all the time and I am not even ginger so dont worry about it man, some of my mates are pretty immature:D

I am also a Niall pronounced Neil, as pereviously stated this is the Irish way of spelling it. It used to really bother me when people got it wrong, but it has happened so many times over the years I dont really notice anymore. To add to the confusion I have a nickname that everyone in my social circle calls me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

superfly wrote:

points at his username!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nbooradley

I too am a neil spelt with two ll's Neill

Not only does everyone at work call me NIALL

i'm even on the active server directory as NIALL

guess i'm NIALL at work, has its uses though because if theres ever a major screw up i've not heard of this guy called NEILL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Myth wrote:
    Interesting, never heard of that name before.
    #
    ive never met anyone with my name before, people usually just assume im lithuanian or something, i've had people welcome me to Ireland before.
    Im called everything from Z, Zoe, Sandra ,Londra,Zondy, Zena and the most annoying is my neighbour she calls me Sand.

Advertisement