Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Heathrow discussion [merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

The west as yeah like to now call your self’s are in my opinion just a bunch of wingers and spoilt brats so to speek

Oh dear ..... :rolleyes:

You are certainly going to be a valued member of the Limerick City forum .... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

hobie wrote:

You are certainly going to be a valued member of the Limerick City forum .... :p

For a very short time.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The government won the Shannon vote today by a single vote. looks like that is that as far as public representatives are concerned.

Yup, and I hope people made notes as to which of our "representatives" who were so "vocal and supportive" chickened out when it mattered.....:mad:

Saw a few listed in today's Examiner, and I reckon they should all be "named and shamed" on every local radio station across the region....

Two-faced ****s.....it's fine to come knocking on our doors looking for votes and to use our taxes to pay their wages, but when their actions really matter, they're out the door like the cowards that they are.

Every radio station should read out a list of these two-faced con-men after every news bulletin. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

I know that I will to torn a art what I am about to say, and in the interest of freedom of speech here goesI believe that Aer lingus Pulling of Shannon is totally a business call for the company, it has to survive in a world where wolf’s in sheep’s clothing i.e. M O’ Leary are undermining the airliners future.
    The west as yeah like to now call your self’s are in my opinion just a bunch of wingers and spoilt brats so to speek,when the so called Celtic tiger Dublin Galway tiger) was in full swing the west enjoyed the full benefit of the incoming jobs, infrastructure and all the trapping that goes with the benefit of having someone to fight your corner in lenster house.
    We in the south East did not benefit from the D&G tiger, there may be some infrastructure project going on right now, but it is 10 years to late. The D&G tiger is gone and has move to another country. We do not have direct flights to Heathrow airport in London, but we survive any way.
    Aer lingus is gone like the D&G tiger to another country, and it’s now time for the so called west to move on and enjoy what you have now.

Hmm - so you are delighted to see the west of ireland get shafted because you feel waterford got shafted.

Great logic there.

Another begrudger, unhappy with his lot, delighted to see others fall by the way side.

No wonder the country is running towards an impending state of chassis with good old patriots like yourself triumphant when huge job losses are created by a company that the government has a 25% stake in.

Sure why not let all the ferries currently using the south east use dublin instead. Sure there is no point having them there at all since the South East didn't see any benefit of the "D&G tiger".

Dear god, some of our own depress me at times........

You may have your "freedom of speech", but we have a freedom not to have to read such drivel and misery.
    Come up with some good arguments, or just give your keyboard a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

cancan wrote:
    Hmm - so you are delighted to see the west of ireland get shafted because you feel waterford got shafted.

Great logic there.

Another begrudger, unhappy with his lot, delighted to see others fall by the way side.

No wonder the country is running towards an impending state of chassis with good old patriots like yourself triumphant when huge job losses are created by a company that the government has a 25% stake in.

Sure why not let all the ferries currently using the south east use dublin instead. Sure there is no point having them there at all since the South East didn't see any benefit of the "D&G tiger".

You may have your "freedom of speech", but we have a freedom not to have to read such drivel and misery.

*claps*. Well said! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Yup, and I hope people made notes as to which of our "representatives" who were so "vocal and supportive" chickened out when it mattered.....:mad:

Saw a few listed in today's Examiner, and I reckon they should all be "named and shamed" on every local radio station across the region....

Two-faced ****s.....it's fine to come knocking on our doors looking for votes and to use our taxes to pay their wages, but when their actions really matter, they're out the door like the cowards that they are.

Every radio station should read out a list of these two-faced con-men after every news bulletin. :mad:

Is it on public record on who voted which way? I thought dail votes just counted heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

hobie wrote:

this is the opinion of people who live in another part of this country,i would and have spoken up for Limerick city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

cancan wrote:

Great logic there.

I never said that I was delighted to see the west getting shafted; this is you interpretation of the post that I wrote.

Part of the argument that the west put forward is that, you have to compete with other countries that have access to London Heathrow, this is very true. We have never had any access to this airport where does that put us in the southeast?????

You do not have to answer that!! For I know the answer

As I said already this government first interest is the Greater Dublin Empire, and with Galway picking up considerable crumbs from what left.

The point of having a chat site is too stimulating debate and to get different opinions from different people form different areas.

I do not like to see any person loosing there jobs nor do I like the idea of Aer Lingus moving out of Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I believe that Aer lingus Pulling of Shannon is totally a business call for the company,
    They aren't pulling out of Shannon. The only difference for Shannon-based staff will be that they will stay at a hotel near Gatwick, instead of one at Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I never said that I was delighted to see the west getting shafted; this is you interpretation of the post that I wrote.

Part of the argument that the west put forward is that, you have to compete with other countries that have access to London Heathrow, this is very true. We have never had any access to this airport where does that put us in the southeast?????

You do not have to answer that!! For I know the answer

As I said already this government first interest is the Greater Dublin Empire, and with Galway picking up considerable crumbs from what left.

The point of having a chat site is too stimulating debate and to get different opinions from different people form different areas.

I do not like to see any person loosing there jobs nor do I like the idea of Aer Lingus moving out of Shannon.

There is a saying, you never miss what you never had. Industry around the Shannon Region built up because of the Heathrow link. with that gone, people will now be put out of work.

Besides. If someone from Waterford wanted to go to Heathrow they could easily do so through Cork, which is nearer to Waterford, than Galway is to Shannon, or Kerry is to Shannon for that matter

By-the-by. I banged this list together for anyone who is interested
    http://www.limerickblogger.org/blog/?p=4069

A list of opposition politicians who failed to turn up, as well as a list of independents who voted with the government or whose names were not on the list of those who voted.

• Advertisement

Quote from Sunday Business Post
    Talks intensified last week between British airline, BMI and Shannon Airport Authority on a new Heathrow service, although a breakthrough is not imminent , according to senior sources close to the negotiations.

A government motion on the Shannon controversy came close to an embarrassing defeat in the Dail on Thursday when 20 TDs failed to show for the crucial vote.

The motion recognised the importance of international connectivity for Shannon and expressed disappointment at Aer Lingus’s decision to end its Shannon-Heathrow route. However, the government declined to intervene to reverse the airline’s decision to transfer its Heathrow slots to Belfast.

Negotiations intensify between BMI and Shannon
    30 September 2007 By Niamh Connolly, Political Reporter
    Talks intensified last week between British airline, BMI and Shannon Airport Authority on a new Heathrow service, although a breakthrough is not imminent , according to senior sources close to the negotiations.

A government motion on the Shannon controversy came close to an embarrassing defeat in the Dail on Thursday when 20 TDs failed to show for the crucial vote.

The motion recognised the importance of international connectivity for Shannon and expressed disappointment at Aer Lingus’s decision to end its Shannon-Heathrow route. However, the government declined to intervene to reverse the airline’s decision to transfer its Heathrow slots to Belfast.

Meanwhile, it is understood that BMI has conducted a study on the feasibility of the route, and recently sought the support of local business community to ensure it is viable.

Industry sources estimated the airline could make €12 million yearly by contracting out the work of 120 ground handling staff and when revenues from an estimated 100,000 Shannon passengers on BMI international flights from Heathrow are factored in.

The estimates are also based on BMI availing of incentives for new routes offered by the Shannon Airport Authority.

It is believed BMI has concerns that Ryanair, which operates services to Gatwick, Stansted and Luton, would also target point-to-point passengers on the Shannon-Heathrow route.

Last week’s Dail motion put Clare and Limerick Fianna Fail TDs under pressure as their votes defeated a Fine Gael motion calling for the government to intervene with Aer Lingus management to reverse its decision.

A Fianna Fail TD who campaigned against the Aer Lingus decision, Timmy Dooley, accused Fine Gael of ‘‘peddling a line aimed at misinforming the public, as its motion could not have forced the government to act against legal advice’’.

Fianna Fail deputy Tony Killeen said that the Aer Lingus chief executive Dermot Mannion’s briefings on industrial relations in the company ‘‘set the background for the decision and raise serious issues that cannot be avoided and must be grappled with in the future. They claim they can achieve better load factors and fares in Belfast. The evidence of booking to date suggests strongly that will not be the case and, if this transpires to be so, Aer Lingus management has a case to answer on commercial grounds’’ said Killeen.

We in the south East did not benefit from the D&G tiger

Labelling a whole region as a "bunch of wingers and spoilt brats so to speek" does more than enough to convey that point, while the misguided notion that any economic boom by passed the south east is just madness.
    Check your unemployment figures over the past 20 years, and property prices and business profits in the region, and you'll see a very different picture.

Businesses along the entire west coast rely on shannon - big multinational companies along the western seaboard rely on these links, and set their companies up here because of them, just like your biggest employers in the south east make extensive use of the sea links available from that region.

Pull the ferry/port system out of the south east and you'll begin to understand the impact that these short sighted decesions.

I was in washington last weekend and there was a big fair on with aer lingus having a stand there. All the photos and videos on their stand were of the west coast, with aerlingus enticing americans to come spend dollars in ireland based of the beauty of the place, while simultaniously shafting the region with their other hand. I told them how I felt about them I can tell you, in between the irish dancers they had hopping about the place.

US tv commerials for aerlingus are the same, with Martin Sheen barking on about the west again, pictures of unspoilt beaches and horse riding on the coast - no mention of dublin or the south east.
    We have never had any access to this airport where does that put us in the southeast?????

Well shannon never had a direct link to china, hence the lack of chineese companies on the west coast:')
    The links of the southeast are based around sea links, with easy access to dublin or cork available.
    Plus, it would help if ye had an airport in the first place.
    People in the west don't whine about a lack of a ferry link to the uk, because that would be just silly now wouldn't it.

So why post supporting the move? If you feel that the south east is getting shafted, why not back shannon on this one - you guys could be next.

Hopefully people will see through this government soon. They laugh at george bush getting elected twice, and vote this robbing idiot and his band of merry men in time after time.
    A finance minister with no back account? No balls either given his silence on the shannon issue - perhaps a brown paper bag full of cash will spur him into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

^^ Here here - Well said cancan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well I suppose I have to be the unpopular but REALISTIC person here and point out the head upp yer arse attitude that's prevalent here.

Regardless of whether Bertie Ahern has or had a f**king bank account is nobody's business but his own.

Regardless of a win on the motion by FG and Labour, there would still be no action.

Regardless of the public (or my) opinion on Dermot Mannion, at least SOMEBODY's controlling the company. If he had to change decisions at the whim of the government he'd quit and no CEO worth a sh1t would have any interest in running the PRIVATE company that is Aer Lingus.

Regardless of whether Air Lingus even bothered to listen to a demand from government, the interference would collapse the share price.

Regardless of the fact that a share price crash would be the result of the public sticking their nose in where they have no right, the government would get the blame for a share price crash and it would be branded another Eircom disaster DESPITE the FACT that 75% of the people I personally know that invested in Eircom on floatation MADE money on the deal.

So REALLY all you want to do is whinge about the government despite the FACT that the government is doing ALL IT CAN to replace the service and expand links at Shannon.

Aer Lingus has made it's decision....I don't like it, you don't like it, but we have to build a bridge and get the f**c over it!!

The fact that Aer Lingus are going to make a huge loss(based on sales so far) in Belfast is only the icing on the cake by which Dermot Mannion will eventually get his comeuppance and a propewr CEO will be willing to steer the company as it hasn't been interfered with.

Well I suppose I have to be the unpopular but REALISTIC person here and point out the head upp yer arse attitude that's prevalent here.
    Don't worry - it's the internet - not a popularity competition :')
    Regardless of whether Bertie Ahern has or had a f**king bank account is nobody's business but his own.
    Who’s head is where? – So it’s none of the public business if our “commander in chief” is less that clear about his finances, with brown paper bags going left and right full of various currencies and the like. This “none of our business” attitude might work in a totalitarian state, but not somewhere where our public servants are accountable to the law of the land. Perhaps if bertie was not spending his time recollecting how not to recollect various dubious transactions in his past, he may actually have some spare time to try and run the country – What a man – using his private life as a shield for his actions – would make you proud to be irish - but I digress .
    Regardless of a win on the motion by FG and Labour, there would still be no action.
    Our democracy must be a shining beacon around the world, when our opposition seem to be just an inept as what we foistered on ourselves again for a few more years.
    Regardless of the public (or my) opinion on Dermot Mannion, at least SOMEBODY's controlling the company. If he had to change decisions at the whim of the government he'd quit and no CEO worth a sh1t would have any interest in running the PRIVATE company that is Aer Lingus.

Regardless of whether Air Lingus even bothered to listen to a demand from government, the interference would collapse the share price.
    Hmm – Now who are the major aerlingus share holders, government, ryan air, and the unions control the vast majority – all three have spoken of their desire not to cut the Shannon route. Now if the government had not wanted to be part of this mess, why not sell their 25% stake? Seems a little odd for anyone to hold 25% of something and not to have any interest or say in the matter – every other shareholder knew of the governments holding when they bought their own shares, and knew that their purchase could be subject to some degree government interference.
    In this case, after state agencies plowing money into developing industry in the region, it seems a little odd for them to stand aside and watch a company they have a stake in, un do all that work and investment.
    Manion must be proud that the company under his stewardship, is down 1/3 from it’s 52 week high, and that is without the governments help.
    With a market cap at flotation around 900 million euro, and the government holding 25%, with it down 1/3 from its high, that means that Manion’s stewardship as cost the tax payer 74million this year alone.
    Nice job Dermot! There is one more hospital we won’t have – keep up the good work – hope you don’t starve.
    It appears that the share price does not need any government assistance to collapse. In remaking themselves as a budget airline, they are always going to trail Ryan Air, and the futility of this task is being made clear in the markets.
    So REALLY all you want to do is whinge about the government despite the FACT that the government is doing ALL IT CAN to replace the service and expand links at Shannon.
    It does seem kinda counter productive that the gov is trying to use money to entice a competitor of aer lingus to Shannon – there is logic somewhere there – or not.

Do we really have to see aer lingus driven into the ground by its current inept management, before people realize the silliness that currently is in charge there?
    These decisions in aerlingus will cost jobs, and hurt the aer lingus share price in the longer run, thus providing the tax payer with a double shafting, along with the loss in service that this all has brought.

While some of the shannon staff needed a good kick in the arse, I'm afraid of the long term impact of all this mess.

There are two things to point out 99'er

One: The financial affairs of the Taoiseach are our business, particularly, if there is currently an investigation into something untoward happening. Michael Collins was last friday convicted of obtaining a tax clearance certificate under false pretences. is his financial affairs none of our business too?

Second: The Fianna Fail TDs from the region are there in leinster house because we put them there to represent us. if they do not do as the majority wish, then they are not doing their job.

ninty9er: Well I suppose I have to be the unpopular but REALISTIC person here and point out the head upp yer arse attitude that's prevalent here.

Well my head wasn't up my ass when the Government said clearly to all concerned that the Heathrow slots to Dublin, Shannon and Cork were critical to the countries future (during the sale of EI) ..... their importance to the national interest was beyond doubt and the 25% share holding would safeguard them ......

My head wasn't up my Ass when the election FF team came up my drive and asked and received every vote in our house during the recent election .... (but it will be next time, I can promise you) ....:mad:

ninty9er wrote:
    Realistic ? My arse!
    ninty9er wrote:
    Nobody said that it was......where he PUT money his money is none of our business....where he GOT money (particularly since he felt the need to lie about it at least twice when asked) IS our business.

Sorry if this is an insult, since it's a comparison that I'd hate people to label me with, but you're coming across as a real Bertie-ite and FF....you're changing what people are asking about in order to be able to justify it.

So let's say it again....your comment about whether Bertie has or had "a f**king bank account" is 100% true, but irrelevant. Even where he got the money is only partially relevant at this stage.....the fact is that he lied and got caught out. His quotes are similarly pathetic, saying that no-one could be expected to remember every penny people gave them.....that, too, is true, and there could well be people who gave me a penny or a tenner along the way and I've forgotten, but tens of thousands ???? Come off it! If he can forget that then we're paying him WAY too much!!!!
    ninty9er wrote:
    Hypothetical, but ironically representative of the election.....everything that FF promised, a win by FF, and there's still no action.
    ninty9er wrote:

On face value, true, EXCEPT it's not "the whim of the government", it's "the whim" (nice casually dismissive term there, BTW) of the shareholders, and listening to the government spout ****e about how AL has to act "in the interests of its shareholders" while they refuse to put forward their interests is downright pathetic!
    ninty9er wrote:
    How so ? I would prefer to have shares in a company that listened to its shareholders than one who ignored them, took a gamble on a commercially dodgy decision, and pissed off a huge percentage of its past customers in one action....please explain how you reckon that listening to over 50% of its shareholders (RyanAir and the government) would put off other shareholders
    ninty9er wrote:
    Regardless of the fact
    Fact, eh ? See above, and stop talking FF-speak
    ninty9er wrote:
    .....that a share price crash would be the result of the public sticking their nose in where they have no right
    The people have a 25% share, use the services and depend on it for their jobs.....what part of that means they are "sticking their noses in where they have no right" ???
    ninty9er wrote:
    the government would get the blame for a share price crash
    Ah, yes, this notional "price crash" again.....pity it's not an actual fact........but besides that, much better for FF to be seen to shaft the Mid-West and to lose thousands of jobs than have a price crash in a single company.....even if we accept your sole blinkered criteria what about the share prices and future investments of all the companies affected ?
    ninty9er wrote:
    75% of the people I personally know that invested in Eircom on floatation MADE money on the deal.
    You must know an awful lot of government consultants......but besides that, you're doing the FF/PD thing again, where success is judged purely on money........let's ignore the fact that eircom's prices and services have gone to pot since, and the "competition" in the marketplaces is being continuously screwed by eircom.....with legislation only recently introduced to help ComReg correct this fiasco.....but you've now got me thinking maybe this legislation was so late so that eircom's share price could be kept high, thereby making the floatation look like a reasonable success ? Make the FF government look good ? Judging by your criteria that's a distinct possibility.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Again, an FF PR line.......but here's an exam question for you: define "ALL IT CAN", taking into account that the government (a) owns a 25% stake and (b) has sole responsibility for representing THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Aer Lingus has made it's decision....I don't like it, you don't like it, but we have to build a bridge and get the f**c over it!!

The fact that Aer Lingus are going to make a huge loss(based on sales so far) in Belfast is only the icing on the cake by which Dermot Mannion will eventually get his comeuppance and a propewr CEO will be willing to steer the company as it hasn't been interfered with.

I'll say it again......anyone with a 25% stake would not be "interfering" by wanting to have their opinions taken into account.

If they did that, and Mannion still stuck to his guns, then the fault would be Mannion's, but at the moment the fault is squarely at the feet of the government who (funnily enough through Eamonn O'Cuiv today) are saying something similar to you.....

Face it, FF are a bunch of inept, corrupt and good-for-nothing idiots; when things go well, they claim success, and when things go against the country, there's "nothing they can do".

Assholes! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

i've spoken to a couple of FF'ers recently about this and they all give the same catch phrases as 99'er. Pure FF Spin. Would love to know what "all they can" means when really and truly all they can is certainly not what they are doing. They are doing feck all.

I come from what was a staunch FF family and after this not one out of 6 of us will ever vote FF again.not one..from previously 6 votes. My memory is pretty good too so cant see that changing.

Whats worse is Wille O'Dea kissing Berties ass the last few weeks like a nerd loooking for brownie points from the cool kids. His defence of FF's esteemed leader (translated as guilty thieving chancer) in the Dail last week would have been funny if it was not so cringe worthy.

*sighs loudly*
    HOPES of replacing Aer Lingus on the Shannon-Heathrow route were dashed last night when it emerged that BMI will not be filling the vacancy.

The Irish Independent can also reveal the Government was aware of BMI's rejection of the Shannon offer days before last week's heated Dail debate on the Aer Lingus row.

The Government was banking on BMI taking up the option to quell the anger in the mid-west over the Aer Lingus pullout.

BMI's decision will leave the entire Atlantic seaboard, from Kerry to Donegal, without any connection to Heathrow -- the world's most important international hub -- from next January, which is a major blow to business and tourism interests.

The only other two potential operators of the service are Aer Lingus and British Airways. Aer Lingus chief executive Dermot Mannion is adamant the national airline will not reverse its decision to move to Belfast. And BA chief executive Willie Walsh has already ruled his airline out of the reckoning.

The decision firmly puts the focus back on the Government in terms of overturning the Aer Lingus decision, with estimates the western regions are at risk of losing anything up to 10,000 jobs in tourism and industry over the coming three years if the Shannon-Heathrow service is not retained.

Fall-out

The fall-out from the abandonment of what is a profitable route is already taking effect with €150m worth of investment in tourism projects put on hold across the region since Aer Lingus announced its decision on August 7 last.

But it is understood the Government was aware of BMI's rejection of the offer days before last week's Dail debate on a motion requesting an EGM of Aer Lingus to overturn the decision to abandon the Heathrow service.

However, as recently as last weekend Fianna Fail backbenchers in the West were stating that the focus was on seeking an alternative to replace the Shannon-Heathrow service.

The Government narrowly avoided an embarrassing defeat on the Shannon row in the Dail last week as 20 coalition TDs were absent for a crucial vote.

BMI is understood to have rejected the attractive package of incentives put forward by Shannon Airport on the grounds that it has already committed its resources on Heathrow for the coming year in a record expansion announced last month that will see them operate 18 new services to 17 destinations.

In a brief statement, Shannon Airport said: "Due to pressure arising from its recent, largest-ever expansion of services from Heathrow, British Midlands has stated it is not in a position over the coming months to commit resources to take up the very generous incentives on the Shannon-Heathrow route offered by management at Shannon Airport.

"Shannon Airport management wishes to stress that it is keeping lines of communication open with British Midlands in anticipation that it may revisit this decision," the statement added.

A BMI spokesperson last night declined to comment, stating: "There is nothing to say about Shannon-Heathrow, as there is nothing to comment on".

Shannon Airport is understood to have been involved in protracted communication with BMI management from the day before the Aer Lingus decision was announced.

However, it is understood that BMI had already finalised its expansion for the year and Shannon was not in that programme.

BMI's rejection of Shannon Airport's offer, which remains open to both Aer Lingus and British Airways, is likely now to result in a new wave of pressure on Government to back an EGM to overturn the Aer Lingus decision, which it has steadfastly refused to do so far.

The Government appeared to have placed all its hopes on securing a replacement airline rather than bow to public pressure on honouring commitments given in the shareholders' memorandum that it would intervene in the event that Shannon, Cork or Dublin services to Heathrow were being disposed of.

Atlantic Connectivity Alliance vice chairperson Ken Sullivan said the BMI decision was "a massive blow".

"But it does at least confirm that Aer Lingus is the only option available now and the Government now has no alternative but to use its leverage and shareholding in Aer Lingus to overturn this decision," he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

When will people realise FF don't give a damn about the Shannon region?

Wonder what half-truths Ninetey-niner will spout next?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I have not read the 18 pages of debate, so dunno if this has been discussed already...
    but do AerLingus really need the 13 daily slots from Dublin to Heathrow ? nearly 1 flight per hour from 6.40am

From Dublin To London/Heathrow
    Wednesday 17 October 2007

EUR Departing Arriving Flight

29.00 Dublin 06:40 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 08:05 Wed 17 Oct EI152
    29.00 Dublin 07:20 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 08:50 Wed 17 Oct EI154
    19.00 Dublin 08:50 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 10:15 Wed 17 Oct EI156
    19.00 Dublin 09:50 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 11:10 Wed 17 Oct EI158
    9.00 Dublin 11:20 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 12:35 Wed 17 Oct EI162
    19.00 Dublin 12:10 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 13:25 Wed 17 Oct EI164
    19.00 Dublin 13:40 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 14:55 Wed 17 Oct EI166
    19.00 Dublin 15:45 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 17:05 Wed 17 Oct EI174
    19.00 Dublin 17:00 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 18:15 Wed 17 Oct EI176
    29.00 Dublin 18:00 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 19:15 Wed 17 Oct EI178
    49.00 Dublin 19:00 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 20:15 Wed 17 Oct EI182
    9.00 Dublin 20:15 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 21:30 Wed 17 Oct EI192
    1.00 Dublin 21:15 Wed 17 Oct London/Heathrow 22:25 Wed 17 Oct EI194

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rok wrote:
    but do AerLingus really need the 13 daily slots from Dublin to Heathrow ? nearly 1 flight per hour from 6.40am
    Dublin-London is the second busiest route in the world.

do Aer Lingus really need the 13 daily slots from Dublin to Heathrow ? nearly 1 flight per hour from 6.40am
    Victor wrote:

So doesn't that make the Shannon LHR slots (4) rather important too .....

in fact so important that they average a 1,000 passengers a day ..... 7 days a week ..... 365 days a year ..... :rolleyes:

As far as I know there are 7x daily BMI flights from LHR to Dublin also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

When will people realise FF don't give a damn about the Shannon region?

Wonder what half-truths Ninetey-niner will spout next?

1. I withdraw the "head up the ass remark" on the basis that I was massively pissed off when I made it, so sorry for offence

2. I don't like the decision any more than the majority of you.

3. Can ANY of you give CONCLUSIVE EVIEDENCE that a MAJORITY of 4.5 million people in the country want the government to intervene. As many of you have been keen to point out it is a government's responsibility to represent the views of the majority. The Mid-West and West serviced by the SNN-LHR route comes to no more than 750,000 tops

4. Selecting your political prefernece for an election that's not going to take place for 5 years is a bit naive, regardless of family voting patterns. I'm from a cardholding blueshirt family that mainly voted FF/LAB this year. That siad it's the wealthy ones that voted FG.

5. I am against the move, but I believe that Aer Lingus are going to end up doing a u-turn on commercial grounds.

6. Forgot what I was going to say...I'll post back later

Selecting your political preference for an election that's not going to take place for 5 years is a bit naive,

Fear not ...... Our family won't forget the broken privatization promises made by some of the most senior political figures in the country, to safeguard the LHR slots to Dublin, Cork and Shannon ........

Ever !!!!!!! ........ :mad:

ninty9er wrote:
    3. Can ANY of you give CONCLUSIVE EVIEDENCE that a MAJORITY of 4.5 million people in the country want the government to intervene. As many of you have been keen to point out it is a government's responsibility to represent the views of the majority. The Mid-West and West serviced by the SNN-LHR route comes to no more than 750,000 tops
    Can you give CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE that a MAJORITY of 4.5 million people wanted the Government to buy out the M50 using OUR money so that the Dubs could get to work quicker/easier ?

Majorities don't work that way - or at least they shouldn't......there are a million other factors than simple majorities, but then maybe you've just given us an insight into how FF manages to make such crap decisions.

Did a MAJORITY want Aer Lingus sold in the first place ?
    Did a MAJORITY want the U.S. to use Shannon ?
    Did a MAJORITY want e-voting machines ?
    Did a MAJORITY want zero-tolerance on crime ? (er, yeah, but that's the only one of the above that FF actually reneged on)
    ninty9er wrote:
    Selecting your political prefernece for an election that's not going to take place for 5 years is a bit naive, regardless of family voting patterns.
    Ah yes, the FF-reasoning for allowing this to be done NOW, instead of before the election. The inference being that Irish people are as thick and forgetful as our Taoiseach........sorry, mate - that might have worked before (and for some reason it worked in this year's election too) but the backlash against FF's arrogance and hand-washing is MUCH bigger this time, and I for one will make damn sure that a COMPLETE list of FF's activities is available on the net (and elsewhere) in the run-up to the next election.

And no (before you do a Bertie and claim an agenda or a bias), I'm not anti-FF; I'm anti-arseholes in Government.

It's pathetic, though.....heard a re-run of Willie O'Dea's interview on The Last Word this morning, and he was going on about it being unfair because of a family funeral.....taking a leaf from Bertie's "it was marital problems" approach and again ignoring the issue; the issue (to me) isn't what Willie did or didn't do in South's - it's what he did and didn't do in the Dail.

And who's the one who did/didn't do what was required ? Willie.

Shannon has again, been pushed to the side as the minister for transport has appointed two people to the EI board to ensure that Cork and Dublin slots are protected.

When asked about Shannon he said "We'll see"

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:

This is not about dublin London though is it? it is about Dublin london heathrow.

And every search I have done and Dublin heathrow does not feature on any list of the worlds busiest, (or second busiest) routes.

One more question. is you claim based on the number of flights or the number of passengers?

Advertisement