Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Heathrow discussion [merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hobie wrote:
    And guess who would buy the shares ..... :confused:

Ryanair of course ..... :)

and maybe that's not a bad thing ...... It certainly can't be any worse than Aer Lingus's treatment of the Mid west ..... :rolleyes:

EU have stated Ryanair cannot take over AL. Above 30% shareholding they are obliged to do so under co. law.

Therefore Ryanair cannot buy any more AL shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

I hope Ryanair appeal the law. Wasn't a large part of the arguement that they would get a monopoly of Ireland routes surely now as Aerliingus have proven they are pulling out of the country they could move for a buy out again.

If i am wrong correct away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

vkid wrote:
    working behind the scenes is no good for anyone unless it achieves something and be honest what has either of them really achieved for Limerick city - highest unemployment rate in the country, no boundary extension, massive crime issues (that don't seem to be tackled unless a cop gets shot at), poor infrastructure and the best bit of infrastructure in the region is slowly being given away to Belfast (a city in another country)..watch the US flights go very soon. It will happen.

So apart from medical cards and "on the ground" stuff, pulling planning permission etc what has either of these numpties achieved ? Successive FF governments have done sweet fanny adams for Limerick so having them in government achieves little.When was the last major jobs announcement for Limerick..the focus is on Cork and Galway in that regard. As far as I can see FF have zero interest in this region, none. Apparently the greater Dublin region is to hit a population of 2.5 million by 2031, how is that going to be achieved. By moving us all up there because the way things are going its looking likely.

They might achieve more as Independants..look at Healy Rae's hold over Bertie. By the way the same goes for Tony Kileen, Timmy Dooley etc. What the hell are they doing behind the scenes because it is achieving feck all in fairness. Willie O'Dea is a very weak minister at best..and seems to have no influence on anything

Give me a break with the behind the scenes crap..more waffle

Exactly, but the usual "FF only love and want to hug us" crowd will ignore the truth of it.

We need to get rid of these wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Exactly, but the usual "FF only love and want to hug us" crowd will ignore the truth of it.

We need to get rid of these wasters.

Unfortunately we had the opportunity a few months ago but voted that shower in again knowing exactly what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

EU have stated Ryanair cannot take over AL. Above 30% shareholding they are obliged to do so under co. law.

Therefore Ryanair cannot buy any more AL shares.

Yep ..... I rem that now ..... a pity ..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just for the record, Belavia are now reconsidering their future at Shannon :( As if we dont have enough on our plate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

vkid wrote:
    working behind the scenes is no good for anyone unless it achieves something and be honest what has either of them really achieved for Limerick city - highest unemployment rate in the country, no boundary extension, massive crime issues (that don't seem to be tackled unless a cop gets shot at), poor infrastructure and the best bit of infrastructure in the region is slowly being given away to Belfast (a city in another country)..watch the US flights go very soon. It will happen.

So apart from medical cards and "on the ground" stuff, pulling planning permission etc what has either of these numpties achieved ? Successive FF governments have done sweet fanny adams for Limerick so having them in government achieves little.When was the last major jobs announcement for Limerick..the focus is on Cork and Galway in that regard. As far as I can see FF have zero interest in this region, none. Apparently the greater Dublin region is to hit a population of 2.5 million by 2031, how is that going to be achieved. By moving us all up there because the way things are going its looking likely.

They might achieve more as Independants..look at Healy Rae's hold over Bertie. By the way the same goes for Tony Kileen, Timmy Dooley etc. What the hell are they doing behind the scenes because it is achieving feck all in fairness. Willie O'Dea is a very weak minister at best..and seems to have no influence on anything

Give me a break with the behind the scenes crap..more waffle

ninety9er - your gone very quiet. Was expecting some response on this ? Also whats your opinion on this thing about the government staying quiet on the whole thing to save the AL share price?

vkid wrote:
    ninety9er - your gone very quiet. Was expecting some response on this ? Also whats your opinion on this thing about the government staying quiet on the whole thing to save the AL share price?

Sure what does it matter, when have you ever expected a straight answer from a FF'er?

We're being sold out by them now and we'll be sold out again if it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

well i suppose it doesnt really but as the man who told us it would be a waste of time for them to resign and they are working behind the scenes, it would be interesting to hear what he reckons as an ogra FF member what FF have given to this region..

vkid wrote:
    well i suppose it doesnt really but as the man who told us it would be a waste of time for them to resign and they are working behind the scenes, it would be interesting to hear what he reckons as an ogra FF member what FF have given to this region..

I'm sure he reckons it'll all blow over because the people of this region are saps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

resigning will do **** all. Sile De Valera did it in 1993 because of the Shannon Stop over, (personally think the stop over was stupid anyway) and the stop over was dumped eventually anyway.

resigning will do **** all. Sile De Valera did it in 1993 because of the Shannon Stop over, (personally think the stop over was stupid anyway) and the stop over was dumped eventually anyway.

Except, if enough FF TD's had the balls they could threaten to bring down the Government, forcing the Gov to recognise the importance of the issue. Let's not forget, Bertie leads a mixed bag collection in this Gov, any threat and we could get what we want.

If we loose direct flights to the East Coast USA and LHR you might just as well switch off the lights, after you close the door to the Mid West ....

Mind you the bars will do well, as long as the money lasts, because there will be $$$$$$$$$$$$ all else to do .... :p

Apparently the govt. is to back Mannion on the issue and do nothing,

And they are supposedly now selling their 25% stake, seeing as they dont wont to use it. Paving the way for O'Leary no doubt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And they are supposedly now selling their 25% stake, seeing as they dont wont to use it.

Makes perfect sense, since the whole point of keeping the 25% was so that they, as shareholders, COULD influence decisions in the national interest, but the only bull**** coming from them is the line that they "won't interfere with a commercial decision" and that "Aer Lingus needs to do what's best for its shareholders" :eek:
    Paving the way for O'Leary no doubt....
    No. While I'm no overall fan of O'Leary, I would see him as better than Aer Lingus following this debacle, but (a) creating a monopoly is bad news (b) RyanAir cannot own more than 29.9%, which they have since last week.

What's worrying is that the Government, by selling, is giving AL actual carte blanche to do whatever they like, as distinct from the virtual carte blanche they currently have, where the Government have the power as shareholders to act in the national interest but couldn't be arsed.

O leary can't buy any more of aer lingus because of government intervention.

You see the state can intervene in the private affairs of Ryanair but not aer Lingus.

O leary can't buy any more of aer lingus because of government intervention.

You see the state can intervene in the private affairs of Ryanair but not aer Lingus.

Never a true'r word spoken ..... $$$$$$$$$$$$ amazing isn't it ..... :(

I'm coming to the conclusion that Politicians are the biggest bunch of $$$$$$$$$ cowboys going ....... :mad:

There is now a rumour going that BMI will use some of its slots from disposal of domestic LHR-xxx routes for Shannon. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope they do. They'll have a profitable route (a good deal on charges and a decent cost base) if they proceed.

There is now a rumour going that BMI will use some of its slots from disposal of domestic LHR-xxx routes for Shannon. Fingers crossed.

If that is really possible the Mid West should get behind BMI .... support their LHR services and other BMI connections to the maximum level possible and $$$$$$$$$ Aer Lingus .... :cool:

I will never forgive them (EI) for the way they are treating the Mid West .... :mad:

• Advertisement

The motion at Limerick city council to boycott Aer Lingus was withdrawn because aparantly most of the council believe the government will use their 25 percent to reverse the decision.

Guess they don't get the paper on the way into city hall.

Guess which party was the biggest objector to the boycott, i will give you a clue, they are in government with the greens and the pds and it is not labour or fine gael, or sinn fein.

Feic me it just gets better and better.

How stupid are these people

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The motion at Limerick city council to boycott Aer Lingus was withdrawn because aparantly most of the council believe the government will use their 25 percent to reverse the decision.

Guess they don't get the paper on the way into city hall.

Guess which party was the biggest objector to the boycott, i will give you a clue, they are in government with the greens and the pds and it is not labour or fine gael, or sinn fein.

The party you refer to would hardly have a majority on the council so the motion was surely withdrawn for some other reason.
    Actually, I don't see the point of the council passing a motion like this, what effect would it have? Was it supposed to be a boycott of the council using Aer Lingus, council workers using Aer Lingus or a general boycott, if it was any of the last two what power has the coucil to encourage the boycott?To be honest I think the whole thing was a councillor trying to get a bit of airtime - he must be missing the chains of office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I think it made perfect sense.....tell AL that if they treat us as disposable on the flights that suit them to do so, we'll treat them as disposable on the other flights too!

The aim was to get all the councillors to avoid booking AL flights for official business, and possibly for personal business too. The actual aim was to show AL that they can't have it all their own way, and the hope was that the boycott would never have to be followed through as the lack of business might force them to reconsider.

Seemed like a top-notch proposal to mer....if AL don't want our business on specific flights, and they've certainly proven that, then they don't get it AT ALL!

Mind you, with one of the biggest shareholders still pretending that AL are doing this in the interests of their shareholders and saying they can't interfere (despite being one of the biggest shareholder groups), I can't see this going any other way....

Stand by for the election campaign of the next decade, though - there will be ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in a FF/PD/Green representative bothering to travel west of the Shannon (assuming, that is, that there will still actually be a way for them to do so).

You're wrong Liam, people like Phog and ninety-nine will vote FF regardless of what they do or don't do on this. Infacta, Bertis himself could probably walk up some people, kick them in the face and they'd still think he's the best thing to ever happen this country.

A spineless government supported by a spineless council god isn't democracy great.

This whole situation just makes my blood boil.

Meeting being held in Brussels today to see if any state aid can be offered to the west, and if they can offer any assistance to a new airline

Just heard on the news at one that talks are going well with BMI.
    I hope they fly to SNN from LHR,that would be a kick in the teeth to Mr o'Leary's plans... and totally resolve the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It all shows how fragile things are if all it takes is one airline to drop a route and no other operator to take over.

• Advertisement

Good. I really hope BMI do start the route.

O leary has added an additional flight per day to LGW, STN and a new flight to LTN over Aer Lingus. Now, in the press release he said he would remove the new flights if Aer Lingus do not cease the route. If BMI start, I wonder will he keep the extra frequencies.

Edit- link to BMI article http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0828/shannon.html

Advertisement