Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eircom unbundles additional 19 exchanges"

Options
  • 05-08-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Is it any wonder that Ireland is in the broadband doghouse of the world, when the Irish tech media don’t know the difference between “unbundling” and making broadband available?!

1)
    Unbundling has nothing to do with eircom making broadband available in a given geographic area, as is the case in this story.

Unbundling is the process which allows an internet service provider other than the state monopoly to provide broadband and other telecommunications services over the copper loop running into the customer’s premises. Unbundling = competition and choice.

In this case, eircom has simply extended its DSL broadband monopoly to an additional 19 geographic zones. Eircom has about 95% of the DSL broadband market in Ireland. Eircom’s unbundling charges to other ISPs are the highest in Europe.

While most other European countries in Europe offer full rate ADSL2+ speeds (i.e. 16 to 26 Mbits/sec depending on how long your loop is) eircom strangles residential broadband at 3 Mbits/sec and charges twice as much as one has to pay in France for about one seventh of the speed.

2)
    Unbundling has little or nothing to do with a “telephone exchange”. Most unbundling in Europe takes place at an RSU or a street cabinet.

3)
    While eircom and Silicon Republic seem to be content with 16% of the Irish population having access to broadband, the country remains at the bottom of the pile in terms of broadband penetration:

BB % Penetration in Europe

Monaco 82.92
    Iceland 75.71
    Netherlands 69.38
    Denmark 69.34
    Switzerland 66.54
    Norway 59.70
    Finland 59.52
    Guernsey 57.39
    France 55.50
    Germany 53.23
    Luxembourg 52.29
    GB 52.25
    Sweden 51.76
    Belgium 51.73
    Estonia 50.35
    …..
    Ireland 16.00

[FONT=&quot].probe[/FONT]

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8928

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This BS was repeated in either ( or both) of the indo and times during the week. I blame silicon republic for spreading the virus .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I noticed that too pretty silly mistake to make but don't think it says much really, Journalists from any country or in any field of journalism make mistakes like that sometimes. Obviously I agree with your points though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Speaking of Silicon Republic, I was listening to the radio in the car the other day and some guy from Silicon Republic was on talking about laptops.

I've never heard a person talking such inaccurate utter ****e about technology. He didn't seem to know his arse from his elbow.

Advertisement