Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat. D repair

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

which one? your link is just showing all of your search results

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

The clue is in the first line - 'second one down' ;)

You have to click into it though to see that it is a cat D repair
    The same model for that year seems to be going for 4-5K more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Spotted this on autotrader - second one down.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The clue is in the first line - 'second one down' ;)

You have to click into it though to see that it is a cat D repair
    The same model for that year seems to be going for 4-5K more

You must have edited that part after I posted..... Ahem:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

How does VRT work out and are there any implications for insurance.

VRT don't care. You pay full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

your insurance may want to send out an engineer to check that the repair work has been done properly.

cat D is the least severe damage that a car is recorded as having as far as i know so it might be a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

CAT D is still an insurance (financial) write off. Not so sure I'd want the 'hassle' of buying one for the sake of a relatively small saving.

Category A A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.

Category B A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.

Category C An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category D A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category F A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

Theft These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

maidhc wrote:
    VRT don't care. You pay full price.

If this is the case, its dissappointing. I was hoping to make a proportional saving on the VRT as well. I should have guessed it was one way only when the government was involved - they are quick enough to load SE or Sport models. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

It might well be a good buy, but if it was me, I'd be very interested as to who repaired it and how long the current owner has had it (did they repair to sell at a profit?). Cars like that are easily written off because of the high cost of replacing all those pesky safety features like airbags, pretensioners and the like on top of the cost of doing a proper repair and paint job. You'd need to know that the car is back at original spec and that no corners were cut in the repairs, especially in the safety area. If everything checks out then I'd be tempted to take a closer look - its hard to tell what the paint finish and panel alignment is like from the photos but it might be worth a punt.

Advertisement