Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest drink you have consumed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Isnt the legal poitin 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Seriously strong poitin, I was told it was vodka(it was in a smirnoff bottle) so I took two big mouthfuls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

Haha! I read the thread title and immediately remembered the bottle of bacardi 151 me and the sister-in-law polished off on christmas eve one year.

I've had absinthe a few times but haven't a clue what proof it was. Definitely wasn't above 75% though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

97% only had a sip and I nearly hurled my ring.

Found out later that it was meant for lighting stoves, (it was in Slovenia and the only part of the label we understood was 97%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

70% Absinthe for myself.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

goldslagger methinks! n never ever again! does not agree with me at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Many years ago homemade carrot wine!!!!Nearly killed us friend brought it up from somewhere in Galway had some kind of halucinogenic in we drank it and blacked out for 2 days in our hotel room!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

In the interest of research I purchased a bottle of 95% ALCOOL
    The brand is Buongusto , with a purple label. It cost a whopping €11.40 for a 1 Litre bottle.

Still haven't oppened it yet. It's got as much alcohol in it as 30 in pints of 5%

Where do you get that? Been wondering where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Eau de Vie. Homemade, possibly illegal. My grandfather was careful about stashing a bottle under the stairwell. Very tart and raw, not something you'd finish a bottle of, or survive a bottle of..

Very easy to make herbal liqueurs at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

poitin. I'm usually quite docile so i surprised even myself when i tried to pick a fight with a bouncer who(rightly) wouldn't let me in.

never again. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Poitin. To cure a cold.

That stuff is to blame for the lawless part of conamara. Mental yokes back there drinking poitin all day.

Drinking that too often permanently fecks up people's heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Misticalz2003

Poitin!! - Leathal!!

Never again !!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Hungarian Palinka.

Kind of a fruit brandy. They pick their own fruit and send it away to be distilled. Usually.

Some stuff I tasted came from a back garden. Lord knows the percentage. 60ish they said.

That and 35 degree heat...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My Polish friends used to bring over stuff called Spirritus. Jaysus, this stuff would burn the balls off a brass monkey. Kinda like Poitín. Brought a bottle over to a buddy of mine who has a bar in Spain, he sold it in a night, 2 guys were having them as chasers with glasses of champagne, the loons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Strawberry poitin last sunday night. 101% and entirely undrinkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

101 Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Stuff in ayia napa came in a petrol can hurt to drink and 5 minutes later(no exaggeration)it hurting coming out the other end!!Iv drank puchin(spelling?)and that was tasty compared also couldn't really taste for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Martyr wrote: »
    i drank 3,120 cans of dutch gold, and it didn't affect me at all.
    i then shagged about 30 birds and knocked out 20 guys.
    i'll bet you're impressed? :rolleyes:

Are you sure you didn't knock out 20 birds and ride 30 guys??seen as you were pretty drunk:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

Going to be having a Hennessey in the next week or so. What's that like? Looking forward to it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

DenMan wrote: »
    Going to be having a Hennessey in the next week or so. What's that like? Looking forward to it. :)
    its good when mixed straight with blackcurrant juice, and easy to drink too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashman007

For me its prob green chartreuse. i would say

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DenMan wrote: »

Its a Fine drink.
    I whole heartedly Approve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

doonothing wrote: »
    this 95% stuff in venice, we under stood the words cocktail, flammable, and alcohol... was so foul. it makde your mouth go all numb and tingly :(
    alcohol/alcohool 95?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used to live in tenerife and one night a bunch of us went back to a mates villa for a few in the early hours after going out clubbing.

he swore to us he had plenty of vodka but we needed mixers so we got a tray of redbull and headed up to his place.

turns out his old man had finished off the vodka at some stage and after frantic searching the only thing he could find was a bottle of medical alcohol from a first aid kit.

i know what you're thinking. nobody is dumb enough to drink what is essentially (afaik) 99.5% alcohol under any circumstances, but I'm afraid we were just about that dumb! :pac:

we decided as it was such strong stuff that we'd all have a cap full each, mixed with a can of redbull and that we'd all just neck the lot and would probably be fine.

NOPE.

three and a half years I was living it up in tenerife, out on the piss every night, sometimes so drunk i couldn't even walk, but I have NEVER experienced a hangover like that before and i hope i never do again. it honestly felt like my head was going to bust open there and then and we were all pretty much in the same boat.

not recommended at all, so don't try it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

OJ topped with aquafresh toothpaste for that minty taste.

ZING!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vibe666 wrote: »
    medical alcohol from a first aid kit...

I have NEVER experienced a hangover like that before and i hope i never do again.
    The vast majority of "medical" alcohol is denatured, usually with methanol. This is so they do not have to pay duty on the alcohol since it is now rendered undrinkable, and a poison. Red methylated spirits has both methanol and a red coloured compound which renders it unplatatable. Drinking alcohol (ethanol) is in fact cheaper to produce than methanol, some think meths is all methanol, but it is usually 10% methanol since it is more expensive yet still renders it poisonous. The extra compound to make it unplatable costs more again so they omit it if they can.

So you probably drank stuff with methanol and no extra compound. Methanol is a major cause of hangovers. Methanol occurs naturally in most alcoholic drinks. Even unfermented apple juice contains methanol, when brewed it gets even more due to the high pectin content, cider is a very bad choice hangover wise, as is red wine. Poorly distilled spirits have a higher levels of methanol too, cheap brandy is loaded with it. When beers/wines are brewed at high temps (to quicken the process) you get higher amounts of these dodgy alcohols and so more likely to get hangovers.

Sugar based brews/washes have only trace amounts of methanol though, so rum is a very good choice hangover wise. A thimble full of cider probably has more methanol than several gallons of rum. Many commercial distillers use all the alcohol they can, rather than waste it, so some spirits are on the borderline legal limit of methanol, while hobby homedistillers will use sugar washes and separate the alcohols carefully. On home distillation websites you will see people using the lack of hangover to verify the correct design and operation of a still. There is no need for all this carbon filtration etc if distilled correctly. Of course the subhuman marketing men have turned this all around and try and make out that their product is great due to all the processing it needs just to make it palatable! they use all sorts of techniques to mask the taste of the poisons they leave in the spirits.

One part of the cure for methanol is actually ethanol, it sort of rinses/flushes it out of your system, otherwise the methanol stays there doing damage. I have heard stories of doctors sending out nurses to get vodka to feed patients with methanol poisoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Everclear - 190 proof.. 95%

absolutely awful drink to be honest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

I made jello shots for a party with Everclear last year. Best night ever, everyone was messed up. Doesnt taste when mixed with the jello.
    Red Storm wrote: »
    After that, downing a pint of whiskey (Paddy) in 11 seconds. Surprisingly enough i wasn't drunk until about 45 minutes later..

Thats insane, well done to you sir. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rubadub wrote: »
    So you probably drank stuff with methanol and no extra compound. Methanol is a major cause of hangovers.
    ouch, no wonder we were in a bad way so. :o

i just know i'm never doing it again. tbh in that environment you'll drink almost anything people put in front of you. we used to do pints of vodka redbull with aftershock shots dropped into it and i've drunk (and puked) just about every alcoholic beverage going at this point, as well as having sniffed a few too (not good at all either, don't do it!). thankfully i was rescued by a nice Irish girl and brought here to settle down so all that's long behind me now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Nothing as strong as 95% but the strongest and drinkable I had was Stroh Rum 80%. Very nice in hot chocolate on a cold winterday. Not so nice pure but it can be done!

http://www.stroh.co.uk/stroh/start.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

95% (And i don't mean 95 proof) in America and you could buy it in the off licence!

it'd peal paint off walls, it was that strong!

Advertisement