Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA.

Options
  • 05-08-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone ever heard of CompTIA certs? A+, Server +, Netwok + etc? Im only young but ill probley have to do Network+ And A+ to become a certified support technician. So has anyone here takeing them if so leave feedback on it. For more info on them click Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The CompTIA certifications are quite popular.

What exactly are you looking for feedback on?

i did the a+ and network + then did the mcsa. since i did the A+ and network + i had to do one less exam for the mcsa. I reccomend doing a hands on course and then the exam. You can easily pass the exam but it wont benifit you. study the transendor exams and look for braindumps on the web

Brain dumps won't get you anywhere. Its like cramming for an exam rather than trying to actually learn the material - you might pass the exam but in a real life situation you won't have a clue as to what to do.

Take the time to learn the material properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I'm also interested in doing the Network+ and Security+ exams. I have some questions myself if the OP doesn't mind(they probably similar to his own)

1) What should I be studying for the Security+ exam, would studying the sample exam questions and the training material on their site be enough to pass? I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge concerning security, but I'm wondering what exactly should I be looking at. Are there any other sites in particular that help you study for comptia exams? What would you recommend studying for Security+

2) Are they a good certificate to have? Would they prove helpful in job applications? I really don't know too much about them unfortunately.

3) How hard are the exams? Are there any good books that would help you study for the exams? What would be the next step after passing the Network+ and Security+ exams? What other certificates are good?

Forgive my newb questions, the certificates seem good and interesting to get, and since I'm taking year off I would love to do a few of these exams and try get some helpful certificates. I would just like the exams explained in laymans terms and peoples own experience in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dj mc93

I know people that have done A+, Network+, Server+ And one other which im not sure of and he passed them all first time round i don't think they are hard if you study for them but if you dont you would have problems with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dj mc93

Like feedback from people that have done them etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

I have A+, Network+, Security+, LPIC-1 and UCP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

tck wrote:
    I have A+, Network+, Security+, LPIC-1 and UCP :)

And....the point is.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Got my A+ and Network+. Passed em first time round, not too hard if you know the stuff (just like anything).

But yeah, I was looking for my first job, and they really gave me the edge I needed to get interviews with a few good positions (lack of experience let me down though) Any recruiter worth his salt will be aware of what they mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

_CreeD_ wrote:
    And....the point is.....?

because you retard, he asked if anyone has any so he can ask questions about them.

• Advertisement

tck wrote:
    because you retard, he asked if anyone has any so he can ask questions about them.
    Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Brain dumps won't get you anywhere.

Couldn't agree more!

tck wrote:

Lol. Re-read the question, you missed the "...if so leave feedback on it.", 'tard jokes aside simply saying you had them in no way answered the question, hence my wondering that the point was. It was like being asked to describe how a PC works and you popped your hand up and said you had one...the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

I've the A+ exam, did the study in a place in galway, failed the OS exam the first go but i didn't have much study done, got it the second time. I used brian dumps and i honestly don't think i learned a whole lot, i still know/don't know all the same stuff. It helped me get a promotion at work though that was only open to people with degrees (they figured my cert and the A+ was enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I used brian dumps and i honestly don't think i learned a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

To the OP and ActorSeeksJob
    Im only young but ill probley have to do Network+ And A+ to become a certified support technician.

If your just starting out and trying to get some learning \ credentials the Comptia exams are quite good as they give you a very broad understanding of Hardware and networks. The content is a little dated in my view but you will still learn a decent amount from them. At the very least you will know what people are talking about in relation to network connectivity or RJ 11 sockets.. that kind of thing. It will also show that your interested in learning when you go for your first job.

1) What should I be studying for the Security+ exam, would studying the sample exam questions and the training material on their site be enough to pass? I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge concerning security, but I'm wondering what exactly should I be looking at. Are there any other sites in particular that help you study for comptia exams? What would you recommend studying for Security+

I took this last year, just to have on my Cv. I had what I considered a decent amount of security knowledge but I still found myself lacking in certain areas. I used the MS Security + Press book and found it quite good.
    2) Are they a good certificate to have? Would they prove helpful in job applications? I really don't know too much about them unfortunately.
    Yes. Any cert is helpfull in a job application. Having the Sec+ cert while its very basic (in terms of security) shows that you have at the very least a basic understanding of security.
    3) How hard are the exams? Are there any good books that would help you study for the exams? What would be the next step after passing the Network+ and Security+ exams? What other certificates are good?
    Once you have the Sec + Net + exams I would aim for an MCSA, you can use your newly aquired Comptia certs as an elective for the MCSA so your all ready 1 exam closer to getting it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

A+ Comptia exam

whats the cheapest why to do this

eg can i just buy a book for 60 euro

or pay kilroys college 600 euro

where do you sit the exams etc and how much will it cost

does it really take 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I have the A+, Network plus also. Anyone can learn the theory and pass these exams easily. But unforuntaley when it came to my wonderful self looking for a job in I.T everyone who interviewed me laughed at the certificates, they really are mickey mouse qualifications as far as some irish companies are concerned. I spend alot of money for these qualifications and just made me feel stupid to hear interviewers say "oh not another comptia"
    I have had these certs four years now and have been forced to stick them under the bed and stay in a sales job :(

I would go to collage and get somthing proper if I were you, at least that way you are going to get practical experience aswell. As someone already said you can pass the comptias exams and sit in front of an open case computer and not have a feckn clue what your doing. You need practical skills not just theory. When I done these courses the tutors were just in a total hurry to get you out so they can get the new batch in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

As someone already said you can pass the comptias exams and sit in front of an open case computer and not have a feckn clue what your doing.

i build my own pc quiet easy (idiot proof) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

college been there done that

what cert would be beneficial ??

Depends on what you want to do. The A+ is an entry level course only, think of it as your leaving cert, it won't get you a job in itself but your resume is likely to be dropped on the first pass without one (if you don't have clearly demonstrated skills or experience that match or exceed that level). For Comptia the Network+ is a bit more useful and more likely to actually teach you something, Security+ while nowhere near as well known is reasonably well respected in the cert. community. Besides being much tougher than the other Comptia courses it provides an excellent foundation for information security, in fact the Microsoft Security MCSE track refers you to it for further reading. For the majority of IT career tracks get the Comptia's as stepping stone/foundations only, they may or may not help you get your foot in the door (esp. as they become more common). You want to be aiming for Microsoft and/or Cisco, yup there are other valuable certs but the market share each holds makes them the safest bets for employability, and the courses are actually very good if you do them properly. One cert value that has really changed a lot in the last few years is the Cisco CCNA, it used to be a job-getter and again since it is getting more common it's also becoming more of just a stepping-stone to the next level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement