Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

40K service on passat - how much?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

How much should this cost me? car is in good order apart from being fairly hard on juice. Service led came on last week, should bring it in in next 1000 or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

40k? Miles or kms? Are you long life or standard intervals? What is the make/model/year of the car.......................?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hey,
    it's a '03 passat saloon 1.8t, using longlife.
    40,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey,
    it's a '03 passat saloon 1.8t, using longlife.
    40,000 miles

Since the car is well outside the VW warranty I would get a price from an independant garage. They will be alot cheaper than main dealer prices and their service will probably be more satisfactory.

BTW at 40k miles I would have them inspect the timing belt and tensioners too, they probably will need to be changed at the next service interval.

Price will vary depending on what needs to be done. You may need front & rear pads - or you may have had front pads done at the last service. You'll most likely need air and pollen filters along with the standard oil change. Possibly wipers, maybe tyres. If you get all of this done at a main dealer, then you will have a much lighter wallet on the way out.

hmm, probably will need pads, if not discs. (a bit of a lip on the disc)
    what would a service with the above included cost at indy vers main dealer.
    What good indy's are out there e.g for VW?
    would I be looking at say 300 indy versus 500 main dealer? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

It may need new plugs also at 40k miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hmm, probably will need pads, if not discs. (a bit of a lip on the disc)
    what would a service with the above included cost at indy vers main dealer.
    What good indy's are out there e.g for VW?
    would I be looking at say 300 indy versus 500 main dealer? :(
    I've never used them myself, but i've heard good things about JetStar in Dún Laoghaire. Maybe give them a call tomorrow for a price?

Yeah, I'm near Dundrum, Dun Laoghaire wouldn't be too far to go.
    I'll give Foster a call too, just to see the lie of the land...

I'll give Foster a call too, just to see the lie of the land...

There's the dearest quote. There is no way I'd bring an 03 to a main dealer. Most decent indys will do as good (if not better) job and save you the price of a very decent night out - especially if you need discs and pads.

Advertisement