Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Custom Programme Development

Options
  • 05-08-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - just presumed this would be the best suited.

Basically I'm looking to start my own business and need software made for the purpose of my business and I have no idea about who to approach etc and was hoping you might be able to help me.

What I need is software that will run visual signs that can be updated remotely (via GPRS?) because a computer will be installed in vehicles and should be able to run with absolutely no access required from the driver...

Basically it will run itself. I can click for new updates to be installed and it will automatically update the pc with the changes.

Apologies if I haven't made my self clear - thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"run visual signs that can be updated remotely"???

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Karoma wrote:
    "run visual signs that can be updated remotely"???

Apologies Karoma - I wish to run that I can upload new ones and delete old ones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Does the hardware already exist?

If it does and it just uses a PC screen interface I would recommend you use Microsoft Powerpoint or a similar slideshow application as the tool - no real programming needed...

Merrion wrote:
    Does the hardware already exist?

If it does and it just uses a PC screen interface I would recommend you use Microsoft Powerpoint or a similar slideshow application as the tool - no real programming needed...

Thanks for the reply Merrion. They will be pc based however they will not use a montior rather a small 7" monitor. The ads will be ads very similar to tv ads...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Macers wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Merrion. They will be pc based however they will not use a montior rather a small 7" monitor. The ads will be ads very similar to tv ads...
    Macers wrote:
    should be able to run with absolutely no access required from the driver...
    Are you showing ads to the driver or the passengers? Would it be in a bus?

Maybe use 3G, though it won't be available everywhere. Is downloading large amounts of data feasible with GPRS?

Sounds like a fun challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Sounds like an interesting idea.

I'd say it'll be very easy to get off the ground with a working prototype that downloads the ads for you etc. But very very hard to get something thats gonna work nicely with horrendous patchy GPRS(or worse) coverage when you can't get 3G.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Its the only way I can think of though...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

It doesn't have to be constantly on... it can just check when it has coverage and update then. This is a simple idea alright.

You could get a mini-itx board and nice small case, should be easy to hide and you can get 12v power supplies for these easy. Screen is up to you of course. Nice 3G modem. Then just stick an os on the itx and you could even run this in a simple opengl app... butta binga butta boom! The server could just be a http server that holds images and the app just cycles through the images...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Most of the online ad publishers provide a mobile interface, take a look, for example, at:
    http://www.247realmedia.com/EN-US/news/article_30.html
    DoubleClick also did some work on this area previously. If I recall correctly, Google were doing (or have done) something similar except for they intended serving targeted radio ads to people based on their location etc. I also think the opensource adserving would have the publishing capabilities that you would need.

Basically your location data would be the targeting criteria for the advertisements which can be targeted and uploaded when the connection exists or is sufficiently quick to upload the changes.

Advertisement