Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics issues - PLEASE HELP!

Options
  • 06-08-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Folks,
    Hope this is the right board! It’s my first post...

I’m a keen Flight Sim player, but don’t know a whole lot about Graphics etc.
    Up until recently my PC has been working relatively OK with Flight Sim and has given me relatively good FPS and scenery quality.

I got a virus and gave the PC to a guy who removed the virus and the PC came back and appeared to be running fine.

Later when I turned the speakers on there was no sound and later realised the sound card was obviously broke.

When I installed and attempted to play flight sim the graphics were crap and I got very bad FPS.

The Graphics card I have is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache

I have just installed new Drivers to try to fix the problem and it hasn’t worked. I have also tried to free up some memory by ending as many system processes as possible but likewise hasn’t made a difference.

Any suggestions to help with my problem, please?
    Your help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    GaryB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , I dont want to add to your troubles but this has to be checked , this all depends of course on how reliable your fix it guy was ,

Is the graphics card in the system the same one that was in it when you sent it away , ....worrying I know but its been known to happen.

Is the sound card really broke , how was it obviously broke ? Maybe its just missing the drivers !

If you are running XP , click start , right click on my computer , click on the hardware tab , look for device manager , open this , then look for display adaptor , click the little + sign beside this and tell us what it says ,

Does it describe the card you are supposed to have ? Are there any little yellow exclamation marks in here ?

Then do the same with sound video and game controllers , look for you soundcard , and double click on that and look for the driver tab , tell us what is listed in there.

Once you post that info people will be in a better position to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GaryB

Ok,
    I checked the Graphics card and it is the one I’m supposed to have, NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache - and has no exclamation marks.

When I try to activate the soundcard through Control Panel it doesn’t recognise a device being in place, even though I have checked if it is in correctly.

Hope this helps, if you need to know any more just post and I will get the info you need ASAP.

Thanks for the help so far...
    GaryB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Next is to check that you have the correct driver , this is a link to the correct driver for XP , assuming that is the OS your using.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html

Its a 6 series driver. Download that and install it and see if it improves things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Sounds like they guy may have reinstalled windows after removing the virus.

Do what mathias suggested and also what make/model PC is it ?

Also what is the name of the sound card ?

Go into the control panel and double click on the system icon and check the general tab under were it labels the OS does it say if service pack 2 for Windows XP is installed ?

Service pack 2 is installed
    I have downloaded the driver you have linked to mathias
    The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO P
    And I’m not sure of the name of my sound card, maybe you could tell me how to find that info and I will post it up no problem...

Thanks guys,
    GaryB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have you the same amount of RAM as you had before? If I was you I'd check every single component to make sure it is as it was before....paranoid? nah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

GaryB wrote:
    Up until recently my PC has been working relatively OK with Flight Sim and has given me relatively good FPS and scenery quality. I got a virus and gave the PC to a guy who removed the virus and the PC came back and appeared to be running fine. Later when I turned the speakers on there was no sound and later realised the sound card was obviously broke. When I installed and attempted to play flight sim the graphics were crap and I got very bad FPS....

Give it back to the repair guy and tell him to fix it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have bad experiences with PC repair people. screw them all.

We sent it in, it came back with a new boot partition, the old glitched partition as D:/ but the idiot never moved the Driver library so when I went to delete what I thought were redundant copies of system files in D were actually the only libraries on the machine.

Either way your guy might not be liable - it depends on the agreement: if he was only supposed to "remove the virus" then taking it back may cost you all over again. Be warned. Some pricks will actually work on this principle.

I doubt he stole your graphics card (besides isnt TurboCache and integrated chipset?) i imagine its a driver issue. Try clearing the sound driver again and reinstalling a new copy.

GaryB wrote:
    Service pack 2 is installed
    I have downloaded the driver you have linked to mathias
    The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO P
    And I’m not sure of the name of my sound card, maybe you could tell me how to find that info and I will post it up no problem...

Thanks guys,
    GaryB

Go into the control panel and double click on the sounds and audio devices icon it should list the audio device used in the computer.

What is the name of the Flight sim you are using as well ?

The audio device is called: Unimodem Half duplex auido device
    Im using FS9/FS2004

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overheal wrote:
    (besides isnt TurboCache and integrated chipset?)

No...

GaryB wrote:
    The audio device is called: Unimodem Half duplex auido device
    Im using FS9/FS2004

Well that explains the sound problem that isn't a soundcard thats the audio device of a 56k modem.

My memory is a little off as I'm not running XP here but on the next tab or possibly on the same page there is a section where you can select from a drop down box the audio devices in the system. You need to set your soundcard as the default audio device and that should solve at least one part of the puzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Overheal wrote:
    I have bad experiences with PC repair people. screw them all.

We sent it in, it came back with a new boot partition, the old glitched partition as D:/ but the idiot never moved the Driver library so when I went to delete what I thought were redundant copies of system files in D were actually the only libraries on the machine.

Either way your guy might not be liable - it depends on the agreement: if he was only supposed to "remove the virus" then taking it back may cost you all over again. Be warned. Some pricks will actually work on this principle.

Did you ask why a "glitched partition" was left at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Did he install any antivirus software? Norton/Symantec has a bad habit of screwing up games.

I removed some malware from a users PC a while back and told them to get some AV software. I told them anything but Norton/Symantec. PC World had a deal if you buy anything over €50 you get a free copy of Norton/Symantec. Guess what they installed?

The very next week I'm called out because now all the games do not work (they are avid gamers). The frame rate is crashing, the audio is lagging, everything is running like it did when the malware was present.

Turns out, all the Norton/Symantec software package is so processor heavy it slows down your graphics, audio, and of course every other aspect of your game as well.

You might want to make sure your solution to your virus problem didn't make your PC worse off than actually having that virus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

CptSternn wrote:
    Turns out, all the Norton/Symantec software package is so processor heavy it slows down your graphics, audio, and of course every other aspect of your game as well.

You might want to make sure your solution to your virus problem didn't make your PC worse off than actually having that virus. :)

Norton is a virus :rolleyes:

Advertisement