Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utter noob to NFL

• 06-08-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭

Have loved watching NFL when i have had the chance, and i'm always sucked in by the american football movies. With Sky having a load of it on this season, i want to start getting in to the actual sport. No idea who to support though.

Who are a good team, but not the best. A team with potential and some good young stylish players.

Give me a team to support!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

The New York Jets !! you want history , a buring desire to win , and a team rebuilding come no further, we are your team, all these Patriot fans will tell you other wise.

Got ot the playoffs last season,One of the best middleline backers in the game In Mr Vilma. A Quaterback whos got lost of experience in Chad penngiton, a running back in leon washginton who's getting better and better. A WR whos one of the best in the nfl in laveranues coles, u got a team to love and cherish threw the bad times and the good .

This seaons going to be another re-build year, depending how are last few games of season go, we might see a playoff birth and then who knows.

Jets for the Win !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hmmm a NY team - i have family in New York so at least there would be some connection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onionhead1112

cant stand NFL myself never watch it other than maybe the Superbowl. but any team is ok to support really. they go from winning one year to loosing the next. theres no real consistancy as in some european sports teams. I myself unlike most Americans prefer Rugby and Rugby League and watch NRL a lot and aussie rules when it was on tv here, sadly neither is shown here anymore and they even took rugby union off tv too. we have a ton of soccer but i am not opening that can of worms here. Id sooner watch NFL than that mess. just pick a team you like watch a few games and you will find a team or player you like. besides one team is pretty much the same as the other. NFL gotten so boring the indoor league in the summer is actually gaining popularity now more than ever. I like the indoor variety better myself a bit more nonstop. But if you like american football it can be fun to watch especially out at the pub or someplace with friends that also like the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

cant stand NFL myself never watch it other than maybe the Superbowl. but any team is ok to support really. they go from winning one year to loosing the next. theres no real consistancy as in some european sports teams. just pick a team you like watch a few games and you will find a team or player you like. besides one team is pretty much the same as the other. NFL gotten so boring the indoor league in the summer is actually gaining popularity now more than ever. I like the indoor variety better myself a bit more nonstop. But if you like american football it can be fun to watch especially out at the pub or someplace with friends that also like the game.

A point a view is a point of view , but come on , every team is the same?.. are you tryn to flame? . The NFl as which i think is brillant and the fairest system to deal with the most money and the best team loop in the world.

In the draft, the team with the most money doesnt wins the battle, sure they all have alot of money, but teams like the vikings and the lions (if they ever bothered to sign a QB instead of WR after WR after WR ..... /sigh ) have a chance to rebuild over a 6-10 year period and build a team if there lucky and go for the superbowl, look at the colts theyve built a team around manning and wr's, but look at the chargers this year with an all round solid team after yrs of building who choked agaisnt the pats.

Btw Chargers my tip for this year. Just to say the nfl as now got a system to make sure all teams involved have chance to win in over a period of time.

p.s been drinking so excuse the spelling /grammar mistakes please :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Support Green Bay Packers. The Packers play in North America's smallest market, i.e. it's the smallest city in North America to have a professional sports' franchise. Unlike the other teams, they will never move. Several teams in the NFL started out life in other cities, such as Baltimore Colts, now Indianapolis, Cleveland Rams, now St Louis via LA, Chicago Cardinals, now Arizona via St Louis. Green Bay will never move because they are the only publicly owned professional sports' franchise in North America. All other sports' franchises are owned by rich individuals or families and can up and move to another city. The NFL system of spreading the talent around and having a salary cap means that all teams have a chance of winning the Superbowl at the start of each season, unlike the Premiership, say, which has 20 teams but only 2 or 3 real contenders (the same ones, too) every year. The system works. Over the years, Green Bay have won the most (12) championships in the NFL. The Superbowl trophy is named after a Green Bay legend, Vince Lombardi.

Vote Green Bay!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'll agree with slow coach on this one, if you want a team to support its gotta be the Packers. Been to Lambeau field and spent the whole morning tailgating drinking off a hangover and it was just simply amazing.

And this is coming from a Vikings fan! I had no connection to the Vikings when I started to watch the NFL, the first game I seen on tv was Bills vs Vikings and the Bills won... so I chose the Vikings to follow. Simple really, since then i've been to Minnesota and caught a game and only recently got the vikes logo tattooed to me! Crazy.

The NFL world is a great place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Mustangs wrote:
    I'll agree with slow coach on this one, if you want a team to support its gotta be the Packers. Been to Lambeau field and spent the whole morning tailgating drinking off a hangover and it was just simply amazing.

And this is coming from a Vikings fan! I had no connection to the Vikings when I started to watch the NFL, the first game I seen on tv was Bills vs Vikings and the Bills won... so I chose the Vikings to follow. Simple really, since then i've been to Minnesota and caught a game and only recently got the vikes logo tattooed to me! Crazy.

The NFL world is a great place!

Mustangs is a real Vikings even when they are down he still babbles on about them. And even when the Stadium empties of Vikings fans Barry still sits there and takes abuse from the Pats fan sitting beside him hehe ME. Myself a Pats fan since the age of 12 again first game really watched Patriots game they lost but I liked that old logo they had and the fact they were from Boston so I went with them and man what a choice it turned out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well myself, not really a fan of a team, more of the game... Although, got tickets for the game in London, we're sitting on the Giant's side of the field (i think) so i might have to adopt them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jacksonville Jaguars.

A Florida based team with incredible potential. The best defense in the NFL on their day, the offense is inconsistent but with players like Fred Taylor who can ignite any game. Byron Leftwich at QB is another with great potential and is getting better every year. Couple those factors with an amazing logo, a catchy name and a great jersey colour and you have yourself a football team. They are rated well on the upcoming Madden 08 aswell which is always nice.

Ive supported the Jags since i went to Florida 8 years ago. Every season is a rollercoaster with some outstanding wins and more recently, playoff positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Dont pick a team out of a hat, or on someone elses suggestion.
    Just keep watching games, you'll find a team who's style of play interests you more than any others.

If you pick a team based on their situation you may end up not enjoying watching them play, even if they're winning.

If you want stylish, I'd suggest the Saints. Their offence is complex and filled with young talent, such as Reggie Bush, Devery Henderson and Marquis Colsten.

Personally, I like the Patriots. Brother-in-law, from Boston, got me watching them in the mid-90s. Most people will say they're not exciting to watch, but they play with complicated defensive schemes, a team before self attitude and move the ball with incredible efficiency (ie. they'll throw 5 yard passes all day instead of throwing deep if needs be), which I find more interesting than any other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Well if I had to reccommend a team to follow it would be the Pittsburgh Steelers; a truly working class team built on the idea that hard-work and perseverance will pay off. I have been a fan of the Steelers for about four years now since I went to college near Pittsburgh and even though I chose them for that reason, I have been impressed with the franchise ever since. Of course they won the Superbowl the year before last but they always seem to be in or around the playoff picture. They are the oldest and most succesful franchise in the AFC and the Rooney family have owned the Steelers since they joined the NFL in 1933. They are a great club and they were named the Steelers because Pittsburgh (or Steel City) was the centre of the steel mining industry.

And because the same family owns the franchise they are very stable and a coach in Pittsburgh is chosen on merit and given enough time to prove themselves. In fact they have only had three head coaches in the last thirty years. And its an exciting time to be a Steeler fan this year as they have hired rookie 35 year old Mike Tomlin to be head coach. The Steelers play a very rugged style of football with the emphasis on running and hard tackling.

Obviously every team has its plus and minus points but you could do worse than being a Steeler fan. Plus Nick Halling who is Sky Sports main analyst is a Pittsburgh fan so Sky tend to discuss them a lot and feature them a good bit.

oh and I think you should definitely start the season with a team picked to follow for whatever reason. Before I went to uni in the States I tried to get into the NFL and was watching random games to see if I liked anyone but I found that I could never really get into it until I decided that it was Pittsburgh for me. Just think of any reason no matter how obscure to pick a team and watch your loyalty to that team and the sport in general grow. My friend picked the Cincinatti Bengals because he thought they had the coolest looking helmet and now he is a die-hard fan. Good luck with it anway and prepare for lots of late nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onionhead1112

are you tryn to flame?
    er, no. didnt mean to step on toes here , will make further comments in the approproiate place from now on.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BizzyC wrote:
    If you want stylish, I'd suggest the Saints. Their offence is complex and filled with young talent, such as Reggie Bush, Devery Henderson and Marquis Colsten
    Saints fan here too. Different reasons. They were the most exciting team to watch last season too IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

Just go with the Giants and you'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I've been a packers fan for about 3 years on paper but have only really watched the last two seasons. A formerly great team who are now relatively rubbish. I would love to give you a great story as to their history but to be honest.......I don't know anything. They are an everyman team. Their fans have a tradition of wearing hats the shape of cheese. OH and Red Foreman in that 70's show supports them which is good enough for me. Also their arch rivals are the Bears. Tada. Just Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Steelers are owned by Irish-americans as well if that's a reason. I don't follow any team. I just like to watch good hard hitting football with a bit of imagination thrown in. If you want a perennial "This'll be their year" that never comes to fruition go for the Arizona Cardinals. Four of the best offensive players in the NFL, only thing is that five of them are amongst the worst:) They and the Rams are closest to the teams I'd follow in the NFL. I like watching the Saints too, they're just dynamite offensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Most of the suggestions have been awful so far. The jets arent great at all, pretty dull team to be honest. The packers are **** aswell. Unless watching an old man, who should of retired years, throwing the ball to the opposition 5 times a game interests you i would avoid them aswell. Watching there games this year will be as painful as watching Oakland raiders games - avoid like syphilis.

Steelers arent great either, they certainly wouldnt be my favourite team to sit and watch.. Jags arent a bad choice, but too say Leftwich is getting better every year is a bit OTT.

The best nomination so far as been the Saints. However i'd definitly think of supporting the Cinncinati Bengals. They are great too watch because they have a great offence but no defence so you always get high scoring games with them.

they have some very good players in QB Carson Palmer, RB Rudi Johnson and WR Chad Johnson. They play in a very tough division aswell which also helps.

It's not all about winning and high scoring games though.

Why 'support' the best team out there?

Mustangs wrote:
    It's not all about winning and high scoring games though.

Why 'support' the best team out there?

Well this is what the OP asked for.
    Who are a good team, but not the best. A team with potential and some good young stylish players.

That hardly sums up Green bay or the jets. I think supporting the jets for the NY connection would be a good idea as if he travels over there too see them he could catch a game, but outside of that i'd avoid the Jets.

Since he doesnt watch nfl he probaly need to watch a high scoring team to help get himself into it.

Even as a Raider fan myself i struggle to watch some of our games(seahwks :( ) so asking a newb to endure watching Packers/Raiders/Jets/Vikes etc games is gonna be tough for him when he has no real affinity to them.

I think BizzyC nailed it on the head, he is better of watching a few games and picking a team for himself.

• Advertisement

No arguments there really, the Vikings have had some snorefests over the years, 9 - 3 loss to the 49ers last season in particular.

I suppose its easier for me to say follow the Packers because i've been there and seen what their fans are like.

Best bet is to catch a few games, maybe even wait out the season then whichever team sticks out in your memory the most go with them for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Or pick the team with the nicest jersey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Packer myself,but if you want a no hope team with a terrible helmet and outfit has to be.....

Cleveland Browns

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The New York Jets !! you want history , a buring desire to win , and a team rebuilding come no further, we are your team, all these Patriot fans will tell you other wise.

Got ot the playoffs last season,One of the best middleline backers in the game In Mr Vilma. A Quaterback whos got lost of experience in Chad penngiton, a running back in leon washginton who's getting better and better. A WR whos one of the best in the nfl in laveranues coles, u got a team to love and cherish threw the bad times and the good .

This seaons going to be another re-build year, depending how are last few games of season go, we might see a playoff birth and then who knows.

Jets for the Win !!! :)

Another vote for the Jets, although Danger_Dave failed to mention the inevitable heroic failure that comes at some point every couple of years just when things are starting to look good. How can you resist that? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jags arent a bad choice, but too say Leftwich is getting better every year is a bit OTT.
    Well he is still young. And he has a great arm, he just loses the head a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Dodge wrote:
    Saints fan here too. Different reasons. They were the most exciting team to watch last season too IMO

What do you mean too? Got a friend with you?

I'm a Pats fan, just suggested the Saints cause he wanted a good team, but no the best.

Now now Carl. Calm down, we all know you're a diehard Patriots fan:) I just put a euro on the Detroit Lions to win the Super Bowl. 150-1. Gotta love those odds:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jdivision wrote:
    I just put a euro on the Detroit Lions to win the Super Bowl. 150-1. Gotta love those odds:)

I wouldn't put 2 cents on the Lions to win their division, let alone a whole euro to win the SB!

150-1? Hah. Maybe at 150000-1...

I don't know. Martz did an amazing job last year, I think Roy Williams is hugely underrated and if Johnson turns out to be as good as hoped they'll give teams fits on offence. Defence is still a bit of a worry but was getting better last year. I think they're better than 150-1 shots, maybe 100-1:) I also put a bet on the Chargers to win the whole thing and a bet on the Rams to win their division so should win one of them which'll pay for my flutter on the Lions. They'll be worth watching. You'll notice I didn't mention John Kitna:)

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be suprisd to see Lions do a Saints. Top offence but ultimately let down by an awful defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I wouldnt be suprisd to see Lions do a Saints. Top offence but ultimately let down by an awful defence.
    Kitna's a world away from Drew Brees

But Martz is so good it helps make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

i've followed NFL for about 3 years now...And my team is the seattle seahawks....

but i think u should just watch a few games from each division then decided which you like,

i tend to have a favorite team for each conference,imo it makes it more ineresting as every game effects one of your teams

Recently i've started to enjoy the NFC alot more than the AFC, dont really know why...dose anyone else have a preference to watching NFC/AFC or is it just me

Advertisement