Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why East?

Options
  • 06-08-2007 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

I'm just wondering why is Wicklow in the east section when it's referred to as the "Sunny South-East" with obvious reasons as to why.. well except the sunny part! My point is should we not be in the south-east section rather than East
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I have never heard of Wicklow being referred to as the Sunny South-east. It is clearly in the East.

Sure you're not mixing it up with Wexford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^Agreed, I've heard Waterford or Wexford be the 'Sunny South-East', not that it matters too much. It is fine in East.

Wexford / Waterford is the South East, Wicklow is East.

However there are random 'Welcome to the Sunny South East' signs around the place - there is even one in Tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Hello I am from County Wicklow.. We are most definately not in the East of Ireland we are the South-East of Ireland right beside County Wexford! Get out a map and have a look at it.. Arklow and Gorey are smack bang beside each other.. I should Know I LIVE THERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ye but thats the very arse of wicklow

if you take dublin as being in the middle from a north south perspective then wicklow town is just as far away as drogheda and i dont think you refer to drogheda as the north east do you???

also divide ireland with thre equally spaced horizontal lines and you will see that arklow is close to the edge but still included in what would be the middle chunk therefore wicklow is the east not the south east if you know what i mean*

*yes its late and im bored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone not figure that wicklow is a fairly big county that it can be both east and south-east? no?

it can be both yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Why does this matter to anyone?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

henbane wrote:
    Why does this matter to anyone?
    Apparently the good people of Wicklow don't want to be associated with filthy "Easterners", despite being quite clearly located on the east side of the country.

I think this is probably the single most retarded thread I have ever seen on boards.ie.

Ever.

petals wrote:
    Hello I am from County Wicklow.. We are most definately not in the East of Ireland we are the South-East of Ireland right beside County Wexford! Get out a map and have a look at it.. Arklow and Gorey are smack bang beside each other.. I should Know I LIVE THERE!
    Well, im from North Wicklow and im nearly sure we're in the East....and I daresay there's plenty of Arklow-boardsies about who will tell you they are in the East too, or am i wrong? :confused:

Or do you propose we build a Wicklow Wall running west<->east smack through Wicklow Town to seperate East and South-East? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

petals wrote:
    By that logic any town which borders the east bank of the Shannon, is in the West, by virtue of the fact that it's beside it.

Regions have to end somewhere, and this one ends at the Wexford/Wicklow border.

Add to that the fact that the largest population centers of the county (Bray, Wicklow Town, Greystones and Blessington) are all in the North or West of the county, then it makes for an even stronger case against being part of the South East.

Plus, as the Mod, I like it here, in the East. :-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

CuLT wrote:
    I think this is probably the single most retarded thread I have ever seen on boards.ie.

Ever.

Ze man speaks ze truth!!

CuLT wrote:
    Apparently the good people of Wicklow don't want to be associated with filthy "Easterners", despite being quite clearly located on the east side of the country.

Ever.

Well if you are talking just North South East and West yes we are in the East but the county is in the south east of the country and I would say Drogheda/Louth is in the north east of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hardly think that any Bray or Enniskerry boardsies would identify with being in the South East.

Ye've little to be thinking about.

petals wrote:
    Well if you are talking just North South East and West yes we are in the East but the county is in the south east of the country and I would say Drogheda/Louth is in the north east of the country.

well your wrong unfortunately

petals wrote:
    So..... what? If you say Wicklow is South-East, then you would also say that Bray, for example, is in the south east? (when it is clearly not)

This thread is just plain bizarre

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sure north Wicklow is pretty much a suburb of Dublin now, it's only a matter of time before we send in the tanks and annex it to officially make part of Dublin, and that would definitely make it east.

I just asked a friend of mine from Enniscorthy and he said that he's never heard of Wicklow being described as the sunny southeast, that as far as they're concerned in his neck of the woods that description encompasses only Wexfod and Waterford.

And +1 for the most retarded thread vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

there is even one in Tip!
    Yes, when traveling from Limerick to Tipperary you'll find a big sign saying "Welcome to Tipperary, the Sunny South-East" between Oola and Monard. Now, my Geography was never the best, but I'm pretty sure the Limerick-Tipperary border is nowhere near the South-East of Ireland.
    petals wrote:
    I'm just wondering why is Wicklow in the east section when it's referred to as the "Sunny South-East" with obvious reasons as to why.
    But anyway, Wicklow is on the East coast so it's perfectly acceptable to have it in the Eastern Region board.
    mapofirelandnm4.gif
    Yep, Wicklow is definitely East. Even calling Waterford South-East is a bit of a stretch, maybe the city, but not most of the county.

I've also always thought that the "Sunny South-East" was in reference to Wexford only, I've never heard of it being used to describe Wicklow or Waterford. Anyone referring to Waterford in that manner has obviously never spent more than 10 minutes in the county, never stops raining down there. It's worse than Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The regions were set up the same as the old health board regions, not the silly tourist regions where you have things like "mid-east".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Its described as sunny south east as a cheap tourism ploy, off the back of wexfords tourism popularity due in a small part to that slogan.
    Its cute that some locals think so though...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kilkenny people tend to think of themselves as south-east ... with more justification than Wicklow, imho.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny people tend to think of themselves as south-east ... with more justification than Wicklow, imho.

Too true. Time for a Cat pic methinks:

0000549910dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Wicklow is the "Garden of Ireland", Wexford is the Sunny South East.

This thread is pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I demand Dublin be reassigned to the Middle East!

Little to think about eh?

I was having this discussion today with someone we came to the conclusion that it's actually spread across the two.. Bray and that side is defo east but Arklow and that is defo south-east

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

And parts of Galway are in the midlands practically...

petals wrote:
    Little to think about eh?

I was having this discussion today with someone we came to the conclusion that it's actually spread across the two.. Bray and that side is defo east but Arklow and that is defo south-east

well then your both wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

On the way in to Wexford the signs have 'Welcome to the Sunny South-East'.

Not seen these anywhere in Wicklow. I trust the road signs more than some random punter of t'interwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nesf wrote:
    And parts of Galway are in the midlands practically...
    :eek: Wash your mouth out with soap!! :eek:

cat.jpg

Oi! You there! Yeah, head-de-ball from Wickla.
    Get de feck out of my Sunny South East dere boss!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do you get BeatFM in Wicklow? They broadcast only in the South East and their website states the south east as being
    (counties Waterford; Wexford; Carlow; Kilkenny and South Tipperary).
    See: http://www.beat102103.com/beat-102-103-general/beat-102-103-general/terms--conditions.html (Section 2.1)

Also, Discover Ireland disagrees with you also: http://www.discoverireland.ie/southeast.aspx

Advertisement