Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly over protective ban.

Options
  • 06-08-2007 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I might as well feed the wolves, here goes.

I was banned from Limerick City Forum, my first ever ban I might add, for my posts in this thread by Billy the Squid who PMed me, fair dues for that.

Basically I said that as long as Shannon had the income from US Army flights they would be fine economically. It is a hugely lucrative source of income whether you agree with US foreign policy or not. This sentiment was later echoed by another poster so I believe the post was not without some merit. Shannon had survived long before Ryanair and will survive without it. I was rounded on by other posters and did my best to defend myself without causing offence. I reported an offensive post, twice by accident, another poster also reported the offensive post. Most of my posts from then on were defending my self from personal attacks. I suggested that if Limerick really wanted to improve it's economic status it should tackle it's drugs/gang problem. Obviously the constant negative publicity in the media is not doing the region any good. The reaction could best be described as parochial.

Nobody tried to refute what I said at any point, they just attacked me on a personal level. I think there was just a bad reaction to my posts and I was banned to appease the natives.

The court of Judge Judy is now in session.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

looks like you were banned for not taking the mods decision up with him in pm, and rather, doing it on the thread instead. not what you had posted.

however i do feel that what you did initally post was related, the way you phrased it did seem to want to shít-stir. then again, this still doesn't give allowance for personal abuse (multiple times) - people got upset over it, they should have reported it but didnt, instead flamed. One of the mods did seem to take it as shít-stirring comment too, i'd say thats why you were issued a warning.

your ban is only a week long.. and aslong as its on the grounds issued (argue with mods decision on thread) then im sure you wont die for that week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Have to say you where warned several times to drop it, you didn't and where banned. Perfectly straight forward.

Was the jbkenn guy banned? If not then I do feel the moderators where excessive and unfair in how they applied punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The original post wasn't intended as a sh1t stir, it was just a simple statement that as long as the US Army were flying through Shannon the money flow into the region would continue. If anyone had wanted to engage the point a discussion of the post would have ensued in a normal fashion.

I can't read the thread now without logging out but in my view the warnings basically said don't defend yourself against abusive posters while the mods choose to ignore the abuse.

Hagar wrote:
    The original post wasn't intended as a sh1t stir, it was just a simple statement that as long as the US Army were flying through Shannon the money flow into the region would continue. If anyone had wanted to engage the point a discussion of the post would have ensued in a normal fashion.
    Whether or not your orginal post had merit is beside the point. Word of advice; this thread isn't about shannon so don't get side tracked.
    I can't read the thread now without logging out but in my view the warnings basically said don't defend yourself against abusive posters while the mods choose to ignore the abuse.

The warnings where fair enough, you chose to ignore them and where banned as a result. That said, the jbkenn guy told you to "piss off you twat" and is seemingly still not banned from the forum. So its looking like you where sandbagged and that the moderators both of the forum and category turned a blind eye to a regular user posting abuse about another user. Given that the post was reported I think this reflects very poorly on the two moderators in question, and they definitely have something to answer for on this thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I hadn't realised that "piss off you twat" as considerable acceptable for posters but it seems that as far as jbkenn is concerned it's fine.

I've a feeling that Hagar made the mistake of insulting the great Shannon White Elephant which grew fat whilst it had the stopover and couldn't be bothered trying to drum up additional long-term business.

Aer Lingus' long & deep hatred of Shannon is coming to the fore again.

Now, isn't it time for a cat picture ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

A mod was banned in somewhat dubious circumstances?

But what are the moaners going to make threads about now, Hagar? Thanks a lot, you've ruined Feedback for us all!

In all seriousness, whatever about Hagar's banning, he wouldn't have been the first I would have banned on that thread.

parsi wrote:
    I hadn't realised that "piss off you twat" as considerable acceptable for posters but it seems that as far as jbkenn is concerned it's fine.
    He seemingly expects a ban but never received one
    jbkenn wrote:
    We are talking about matters that may have serious economic implications for the Midwest region.

I will take the ban... Mod or not... piss off you twat

jbkenn

I've a feeling that Hagar made the mistake of insulting the great Shannon White Elephant which grew fat whilst it had the stopover and couldn't be bothered trying to drum up additional long-term business.

Aer Lingus' long & deep hatred of Shannon is coming to the fore again.

Users always make the mistake of posting about the orginal thread topic, like it matters. if you want to talk about shannon, do so on the orginal thread. This is feedback.
    Now, isn't it time for a cat picture ?

No, this thread has some merit.

I made 7 posts on that thread. Six of those were made in self defence after being abused on thread by two seperate posters.

If my first post didn't deserve a ban why should I be banned for my subsequent posts which were just me defending myself while the mods turned a blind eye to blatant personal abuse.

Would I have made the defensive posts which got me banned if the mods had acted to effectively control the abuse? No is the answer to that. I was banned because of knee-jerk ineffective modding.

I didn't take the PM option because I reported the post and an email would have been received by the forum mods as a result. Since they had already ignored that there was no point in PMing them.

You've a point, but its a can of worms. You where out of order, but wouldn't have been if the moderator had of acted correctly. I'd say its not your call, or mine, to determine the proper action a mod should take on a forum. We can express opinions but its the Admins/S-mods call on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Hagar wrote:
    I think there was just a bad reaction to my posts and I was banned to appease the natives.

I think you were banned for taking the issue off topic by defending yourself so much, that other poster jbkenn should have been banned first, for the personal abuse post, you didnt deserve to be called a twat. Sh1t stirrer maybe, but not twat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

In fairness Hagar, you did continue to take the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In the interest of fairness, jbkenn has also been banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

seems fair, conclusion reached - all settled. lock?

TmB wrote:

fairness ? if hagar had not complained would that poster still have been banned ? why did it take a feedback thread to have a moment of mature reflection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

TmB's warning here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53708799&postcount=23

Hagar's 2 posts after that warning look fine to me.

[lolcat.jpg]

I'm sorry the guy is banned, I didn't start this thread to get anyone banned for abuse I just wanted to assert my right to defend myself in the face of abuse.

Hagar wrote:
    I'm sorry the guy is banned, I didn't start this thread to get anyone banned for abuse I just wanted to assert my right to defend myself in the face of abuse.

Well you've no right to derail a thread especially after a mod warns you;

Hagar wrote:
    I just wanted to assert my right to defend myself in the face of abuse.

Does a poster have that right ? I thought the approved action was use the report post button and let the mod of that forum handle it, not got for a tit for tat and drag the thread off topic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Boston wrote:
    Well you've no right to derail a thread especially after a mod warns you;
    Can you quote the bit where Hagar continued to derail after being warned by a mod?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm impressed by the restraint shown by the Limerick City mod.
    Hagar wrote:
    lasno wrote:
    Always some smart ass around
    I do hope you're not referring to me, Direct personal abuse will result in me reporting your post and you possibly being banned.
    Get out much?

• Advertisement

Went to Cannes on Tuesday, St. Tropez on Saturday, quiet enough week really.
    Go anywhere nice yourself?:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

big_rolleyes.gif

Didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

TmB wrote:

I said I would accept the ban and I will, gladly, Hagar, you showed an absolute ignorance of the situation in the Midwest region vis a vis Shannon, and the requirement of access to air travel for local business people, your snide remark remark re U.S troop movements through Shannon keeping the Midwest region in business clearly demonstrates this. FYI the U.S. flights contribute very little to the local economy.

My concern is for the local indigenous business's of which there are many, who will now be deprived of access to U.K. and European air travel, from their local airport, yes, they can fly from Dublin, but, this is always a huge inconvenience.

jbkenn

see ya in a week

In light of jbkeen's post I would like to say that my remark was not intended as snide.

The following is off topic and is what I was going to propose/discuss had things not gone the way they did. I've put it in spoilers so that it can be easily ignored.
    I think that there is a longer term agenda for Shannon that is not being made public. I think we will see it becoming more militarised and not by the Irish Army. I suspect it may well become a permanent major staging post for the US with a full time military base there. It's being drained of all other viability so that when the military option is put forward, no matter how un-palletable it is, it will have to be accepted or close down the place completely. But that's only my guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Boston wrote:
    Users always make the mistake of posting about the orginal thread topic, like it matters. if you want to talk about shannon, do so on the orginal thread. This is feedback.

Actually it was relevant - it gave background & context as to why the banning happened.

Boston wrote:
    No, this thread has some merit.

Aye but that never stopped cat pics before though.

I'm still getting emails regarding the thread as I was subbed to it.
    Is this normal? I thought a ban would be a total blackout.

Hagar wrote:

thats just to tease you ...... lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bit of a silly ban in all fairness, it may have been a smart ass comment but it was also probably one of the more relevent in that thread.

Hagar wrote:
    Yeah I replied...
    As for the ban,well to be honest with you,your initial comment might have deserved a tangential discussion on a related topic.
    You should not have rose to the comments on it though and continued to discuss the tangent instead.
    It wouldn't have been too off topic but would have merited a split instead.
    Rule of thumb-Always report and leave it at that.
    You have access to the reported posts forum so you do have the option of discussing the Limerick cities mod decision on your report there OR if you feel strongly enough,in the main mod forum.

As for the thread in general...
    It's perfectly normal for posters in a local forum to discuss how bad this is for their area (and it is) and it should be expected that their wants and needs would mean that they will apply less kudos to the wants and needs of the company pulling out (in this case EI).
    I went into the thread and gave an opinion and I essentially agree with the post that followed.
    Though the planes are near full,EI mustn't have a suffecient enough base there to make a profit.
    By the way Hagar I think it's about as likely for the U.S to put an army base in shannon as it is for Universal studios to open a theme park on the top of Croagh Patrick but thats my opinion...

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote:
    Can you quote the bit where Hagar continued to derail after being warned by a mod?

See post 16 and see post 21.

Advertisement