Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fEEDING THE fOXES !

Options
  • 06-08-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

what is everybody leaving out for them ?....... they are very scrawny around my area.

Ever since they uprooted the old Harcourt street line, there's been swarms of foxes knocking about.

I generally see anywhere between 3 - 8 foxes each night i go walking Elmo.

a good few stroll around with a limp, probably not concious of traffic.

so , although my dog hates them, the foxes are always shufflin' around the back garden.
    it gives Elmo (b-lab) a chance to do his territorial thingy too, but the foxes are really cheeky, too nimble and almost tease the dog whilst sitting on the garden fence.

Been chuckin' out all sorts of grub like bread and dog ffod, and sometimes rashers 'n stuff.

dont want to give them something that is bad for them though, but im afraid there is not enough natural substance around for them to survive.

Anybody know what is good to leave out at night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

most people in my areas who feed them leave out tinned dog food I'm not sure if this is the best but it seems to go down well around here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mmmmmmm, after listening to the Vet on RTE1 sometime last week the last thing I'd do if I was a pet owner is encourage a fox into your garden.

The Vet said they carry a multitude of illness'es your dog is not equipt to deal with.

Just be careful your not introducing your dog, or neighbours pets to danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have a google for the fox tapeworm ...

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/1994/DANGER~1.pdf

you won't want foxes in YOUR garden after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

In the countryside, you should never feed foxes. They start to get tame and then get shot when they go after someones poultry. I've seen this happen so many times. Its much healthier for them to stay away from humans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Please don`t feed foxes, you wouldn`t be encouraging rats so why a fox?, both are vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

oh,... i dont think they are vermin at all.
    life is life,.... and a foxes life is important too,... the threat of tape worm seems to involve the consumption of excrementby a dog,.. highly unlikley as dogs absolutely detest fox dump.

i feed everything down to slugs, which i crumple bread out the back for them ,...they thrive on it.

my post really concerns the foods which foxes may find harmful, maybe i will leave it out the front whee the dog isnt at.??

peasant wrote:
    Have a google for the fox tapeworm ...

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/1994/DANGER~1.pdf

you won't want foxes in YOUR garden after that.

Not to mention TB and a particularly nasty Mange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

Huh ?
    ok,... maybe ill dump it out the front garden !!

whats the chances of it spreading then ?..realistic speaking.

Huh ?
    ok,... maybe ill dump it out the front garden !!

whats the chances of it spreading then ?..realistic speaking.

Honestly I wouldn't encourage foxes into my garden. Their natural predators, they'll find food themselves and won't starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

seen a fox for the first time in ages last saturday, so cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Saw a fox on Tuesday in Ranelagh, it was around 2pm. It was on the road where Michael McDowell (or Michael McScrewell) has his house. We were walking down towards the main street in Ranelagh when it ran across the road from left to right and disappeared into a driveway.

I'd much have a fox hanging around my home than skangers, they're a lot more hygenic

Advertisement