Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from watching to actually playing???

• 06-08-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

ok so depending on which college i get into in september i might have a local team to try out for(the one in limerick).

iv always watched the nfl when iv seen it on sky and would know the basics but not the details. iv obviously never played and am jsut wondering are there many beginners trying out every year in the various teams around the place and would many actually get picked or how does it work?

i might hate it but i don't think i will.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

IAFL Irish American Football League

Teams:
    2007 Teams:
    Tallaght Outlaws : - Train and Play in Tallaght www.tallaghtoutlaws.com
    Dublin Rebels :- Train Booterstown Play Sportslink Santry www.dublinrebels.com
    Dublin Dragon :- Train and Play in Lucan www.dublindragons.com
    DCU :- Train in DCU Play in Alsaa www.dcusaints.com
    UL Vikings :- Train and Play in UL www.eteamz.com/ulvikings
    Cork Admirals :- Train and Play in Cork www.corkadmirals.com
    Belfast Trojans :- Well no idea but here is website www.belfasttrojans.com
    Belfast Bulls :- www.belfastbulls.com
    Carrickfergus Knights :- Train and Play in Carrickfergus.

New to 2008:
    Maynooth Mustangs :- Ask Mustangs who posts on here often don't know where they train or play yet.
    Craigavon Cowboys :- www.craigavoncowboys.co.uk

Development
    Galway Sea Devils
    Edenderry Soldiers
    Southeast Strongbows

For more info go to the League forum IAFL Forum

All teams im sure will teach you the basics when you join. Each team has their own coaches who use their own methods but all teach the same thing. Depending on the teams depends on how many rookies they have most of the new teams will have the most rookies obviously why they are new. But every team recruits so they all will teach the basics when you join.

Positions are based on what you are good at. Assesment of what you can and cant do would judge your football abilities. What I love about this sport there is positions for everybody.

Ourselves the Mustangs and Dragons all start back training on August 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

If you do go to limerick, there will be loads of people like yourself...you don't have to 'try out', if you do keep playing you'll get to play in most of the games...what position you thinking of playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

JoseJones wrote:
    If you do go to limerick, there will be loads of people like yourself...you don't have to 'try out', if you do keep playing you'll get to play in most of the games...what position you thinking of playing?

i was thinking "defensive end" but i assume that there are not seperate defence and offenceso id need an offence position aswell.

not really sure either something thats going to get to tackle hard or hold the ball as i dont think id like just being a blocker or something. im 6'2 and 12.5st if that makes any difference

PeakOutput wrote:
    i was thinking "defensive end" but i assume that there are not seperate defence and offenceso id need an offence position aswell.

not really sure either something thats going to get to tackle hard or hold the ball as i dont think id like just being a blocker or something. im 6'2 and 12.5st if that makes any difference

Don't know any team that makes you try out being honest josejones makes it sound like thats what I was saying. Best way to get your game put 100% effort in turn up to practices and games and you cant go wrong. 6'2 12st honestly may be too light for a d-end. But technique and speed can make up the difference if you are shown correctly. The lads in Limerick are very good and you will learn lots from them.

Don't know any team that makes you try out being honest josejones makes it sound like thats what I was saying.
    OP asked would many actually 'get picked'. That's what I was referring to...Sure give D-end a try, technique is far more important than size...also, you won't need to play offence and defence, plenty lads play one way...

• Advertisement

JoseJones wrote:
    OP asked would many actually 'get picked'. That's what I was referring to...Sure give D-end a try, technique is far more important than size...also, you won't need to play offence and defence, plenty lads play one way...

Technique and Size make great D-ends but as I said Technique and Speed can make up the difference. All positions require good technique some more than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well regardless of playing american football or not i plan on having another stone of muscle put on as soon as possible so hopefully that will help.

am i right in thinking defensive end is there to

a) sack the qb whenever possible
    b) take down the running back
    c) watch for short passes to receivers near the line of scrimmage?

i could be way off but thats the impression i got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It depends on the defensive playbook in place, but usually DE do not go after passes, thats left up to linebackers.

Main purpose of the DE should be to pressure the QB and stop the run (there's several ways that might be done).

If you plan on being 13st, you'd probably be a primarily pass rushing end, as you wont have the power to rush through blocks, you'll have speed to move around them instead.

Alternatively you could try linebacker, you'd have a good build for that.

Like us(DCU), Limerick take on a large group of rookies every year, so dont worry about trying out, there'll be plenty of lads in the same boat and all will be given a chance.

D-end's responsibilities are usually outside containment and pass rushing. You should definitely play linebacker aswell, you'll get to pass rush and knock the crap out of RB's.

Advertisement