Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats wrong?

• 06-08-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

2 weeks ago or so, my computer started completly locking up, and randomly rebooting itself. Now, when it rebooted itself the first time, I noticed my CDRW drive was picked up as a bunch off odd characters - ala "¬ ? |" type ****e. It then rebooted itself again, and windows error reporting told me it was my sound card drivers. "odd", I thought, but removed them anyway. Removed them, and the problem persisted.

Noticed then that my CDRW drive was sometimes being detected, sometimes not. So I decided to just disconnect it from the mobo. Problem of course, persisted.

It can happen at any random time - but it appears to happen a lot quicker if the PC is under any sort of stress - even a small amount. Restored a firefox session with 12 tabs open, and its insta-crash. Decided to play through FF8 again, and it'll lock up after about 4-5mins of play.

Temperatures are levelling around the 55-60'C mark. So its 10C away from going pop :P

This could of course all be related to my poor mother, who trying to be helpful, shoved a hoover inside my PC in an attempt to clear out the dust a few months back. Long-term static problems, anyone? :P

All in all, I think the motherboard is on its last legs. It can crash before it boots into windows - locking up on the bios diagnostic screen, etc etc. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Overheating can result in those unexpected shutdowns. The behaviour of that drive is rather odd also. Have you tried updating its firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Really does sound like overheating issues, ensure that the heatsink/fan are properly seated (maybe even take it off and check there is suffecient thermal paste on the cpu).

Another test i'd run would be memtest to ensure that your memory hasnt been damaged in anyway.

Is 55 degrees the idle temperature or under load?

Advertisement