Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Military white elephant of all time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

MooseJam wrote:
    no way the comanche got dropped, I did not know this, 8.6 billion is a lot of cash wasted all right but what about the star wars project, how much did they waste on that and it was definately a white elephant, no use at all

I dont know about that one mate. A cousin of mine is an aeronautical engineer, and he has assured me that several of his mates on the Military side of the field have encountered the Star Wars programme quite a lot. Everything he's heard points to it still being researched, if not used. Just 'cuz the government doesnt tell us these things, doesn't mean they're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dub13 wrote:
    My vote goes to the RAH-66 Comanche helicopter that the US were developing for years but then finally dropped in 2004. About $8.6 billion was spent on developing and cancelling this project....such a crazy amount of money to waste. It did look cool though and could even fly backwards.
    Aye. It was an unreal chopper to fly. But the money was not wasted. Although 78 were half built, the technology was put into other helicopters. It was cancelled, as it didn't meet the changing enviroment.

Advertisement