Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased line in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

jmcc wrote:
    Well this is no place for crying and tantrums. :) The webhosters forum was closed because of this.
    Yes I noticed that, highly entertaining. I find it encouraging that we are able to hold a civilised conversation here however. Maybe I should add a :rolleyes: next time for emphasis.
    jmcc wrote:
    The market at that time was completely different. The ISPs were dominant and had the bulk of the Irish market. They were vulnerable to the second generation hosting service providers (HSPs). Now the ISPs only account for 16.75% or so of the Irish market while large hosters like those above account for 65.52% of the Irish market.
    Gah, there is so much missing from your market analysis I don't know where to start, even though I'm only skimming the surface of the business. For one, hosting isn't a regional service, its a global one. The only hurdle is getting the word out. Also its not like established providers haven't lost marketshare before, in many industries - take for example the mobile phone industry in Ireland.

I'll leave it there since I have got the answer I was interested in, or as close to it as I can get on Nets & Comms. Thanks to everyone for their assistance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gah, there is so much missing from your market analysis I don't know where to start, even though I'm only skimming the surface of the business. For one, hosting isn't a regional service, its a global one. The only hurdle is getting the word out. Also its not like established providers haven't lost marketshare before, in many industries - take for example the mobile phone industry in Ireland.
    A few sentences about the Irish hosting business is not a market analysis. And I would know a lot more about it than you or your research sources.

Thinking that it is all a global business is a mistake that a lot of newbies make. The retail hosting business (the shared hosting with domains that are rarely if ever used) is global and it has a very high churn rate. The dedicated and high end market is higher margin and a lot more localised.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

jmcc wrote:
    A few sentences about the Irish hosting business is not a market analysis. And I would know a lot more about it than you or your research sources.
    Mmm, I love the smell of arrogance in the morning. Smells like... ignorance...

/gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is not arrogance - it is a statement of fact. And if you think that getting into the Irish hosting business is easy, you really don't understand the market at all. The Irish market is littered with hundreds of small scale hosters who thought that they were going to take over the market from the bigger, well funded and more ruthless operations. Most of them never even had more than 500 domains hosted. Very few hosters get to the size of the large ones because with each large hoster, the barriers to entry into the market increase. The market is not growing fast enough to accomodate a takeover of the type you think you can achieve. As for your research, and not having seen it, I could probably guess where it comes from. Good luck with your effort to take over the Irish hosting business. Though if you have to ask about the price of leased lines rather than knowing exactly where to go for such information and quotations, I wonder if you really do know as much as you think about the infrastructure of hosting.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

/gone
    Jmcc has probably forgotten more about the hosting market than many of the smaller players ever knew, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

/gone

I relish the thought of yet another 'entrant' to the hosting scene. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I relish the thought of yet another 'entrant' to the hosting scene. :)

Who said "distressed assets"???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

jmcc wrote:
    Though if you have to ask about the price of leased lines rather than knowing exactly where to go for such information and quotations, I wonder if you really do know as much as you think about the infrastructure of hosting.
    QFT
    http://www.cix.ie/ is an example of a hosting centre being built right now in Cork, they have an excellent blog online in which you can read all about the work.
    Ah I love reading the nitty gritty bits. Cheers for the link.

Advertisement