Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start watching for Perseids

Options
  • 06-08-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

The Perseid Meteor Shower is due to peak next weekend. So we should have increasing activity as the week goes on. As has been the case all summer, the weather may not be very co-operative, but with no Moon about, it should be easier to see more of them when there are clear skies. So keep your eyes open.

Also, the ISS is passing through our night skies all week and into next week and all at times that will suit us. Go to http://www.heavens-above.com for more details on times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I just saw a great pass of the ISS, thanks to Heavens-Above, and there is another due at about 12:32am over here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

If anybody is interested in finding out more about the Perseids, there is a talk tonight (Tuesday) in Tullamore given by Seanie Morris of The Tullamore Astronomy Society. I'm pretty sure it's open to all so check it out if your around the midlands or Dublin even!
    I'll be trying to make it along depending on my work situation tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The shower peaks at 3 am! :( I'll be in bed.

Mike.

That's just the peak. All this week and next week you'll be able to see something. It's not a instaneous show, or even a one night show. So the fact that you won't be awake at the peak doesn't matter at all. All we need is clear skies. Speaking of which, they are clear over Dublin and the ISS is due to pass over at about 21:45 and again at 23:19. Each pass takes a few minutes to go through our sky. The first will come from the southwest and head towards the east and the second will come from the west and head towards the east southeast. Not much time before the next one, so if you see this post in time, check your watch and then go out.

This graphic on http://www.heavens-above.com will show you where it is. Any time you open the page or even refresh, you'll see the change. If you are registered you can log in and see when it will be passing again. It will be doing so regularly over the next week, so there is more than just the Perseids to watch for.:)

I'll head out in 5! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

I saw it. :)

I did'nt, it was too low (a load of houses to the south of me) The next next pass peaks at 80 degrees I think so will be visible.

Mike.

Right overhead this time. A really good view. Did you see it?

Yep, perfect! I was in the back garden trying to find a spot not flooded by the damned sodium lighting from the street then just when I thought I'd missed I looked due west and spotted a faint movement which got brighters and brighter. Looked great and in 2 or 3 days when it next crosses at about this time I'll make sure to wear my better glasses! :)

Mike.

It really whizzes along when you have a good look. I had my binoculars, and I could see it really going past some of the stars pretty quickly. When it can go around the planet in an hour and a half or so, it has to be moving fast. :)

• Advertisement

I saw it last night too at about 23:20. Great spectacle! I hadn't checked the fly-over times beforehand, just happened to step out on the balcony 5 minutes before it appeared so it was an even bigger treat to see it.

When it appeared to the West, it seemed to hang and move very slowly for a minute or so. I was watching it for about 15 seconds initially trying to figure out what star it was before I even noticed that it was moving. Then, of course, when it got closer and appeared higher over our sky it did appear to move much quicker!

I saw a cool meteor soon after. Very bright and left a bright trail behind it for a second or two. Took an old pair of tiny, non-astronomical binos out too and got a great view of The Andromeda Galaxy.

So, all in all, a great nights unplanned observation and a couple of glasses of wine!

I've seen it by chance like that on occasions too. It is pretty unmistakeable though, once you have seen it a few times, so you will know it is it. Hopefully it will be clear tonight again.

Could be hit and miss tonight as a front is coming in I think.

Mike.

I saw the first pass. The next one is due at about 11:42pm. There is a good one due on Thursday night at about 10:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the shuttle is due to pass at the same time, are they docking tonight?

The Shuttle is launching soon. You can watch it on: www.nasa.gov/ntv

It will be joining up with the ISS in 2 days. We'll be able to see both over the next few nights.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i saw the shuttle just before the ISS passed, anyone else see it? a real blink and you miss it...

Call_me_al wrote:
    the shuttle is due to pass at the same time, are they docking tonight?

According to this interesting video on the BBC news website of the 1st 10 minutes or so after launch (ground to orbit), docking will happen on Friday afternoon (presumably American time which will be Friday evening/night for us). Not sure of the exact time.

/Edit - Approx 19:00 BST Friday evening for docking

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Bringing this back on topic.. about the perseid peak tonight...

There is heavy cloud cover tonight here in the West.
    Will this completely impede perseids viewing. I'm guessing they are different to shooting stars or meteorites which come through the earths atmosphere..
    so am I right to say that there isn't a dogs chance of seeing them given
    tonights cloudy conditions?

-ifc

ps - saw the ISS about 3-4 nights ago and was very clear night sky and
    was a superb spectacle. was about 5th time I've seen it -- but this time
    was best ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

A few hours can make a big difference.
    There is now a lovely clear sky here in the west.
    I've seen 4-5 shooting perseids in the past few mins.
    I believe 3am is the peak. I may set my alarm to go out again then !

bye

-ifc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Isn't the peak tonight at 3am? Hoping it's clear here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

where is the best place to view this? last year astronomy ireland had a thing out in Roundwood. Is there anything like that on tonight?

G

Wherever you are, go out and look. It is very clear in Dublin right now, and indications are good for later. Once it gets dark, go out and look whenever you can. Keep looking over the nights to come, as while we may be at the peak, this will continue for quite a few days yet before it stops completely.

The best direction for viewing is North-East, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes , NE just below Cassiopeia (the W). Should be great viewing tonight!:D

redman wrote:
    Yes , NE just below Cassiopeia (the W). Should be great viewing tonight!:D
    They've already started here, my little sister was out playing on the road and came in screaming that the stars were falling:D . She saw one to our East, maybe slightly South-East. Hoping to head up into the mountains soon

Perfect clear skies over Waterford, still a bit bright for best effect but I'll nip out in half an hour and see whats what.

Mike.

Face Northeast, but scan the skies as they could come from anywhere, not just the radiant.

Just saw two but they're so fast I barely register them, also saw what thought was the Space Shuttle going west to east but the timing and direction is all wrong - must have been a plane lit by the setting sun.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Waterford rural skies are excellent right now. Cassopedia and Perseus are moving up - hope the sky will stay clear - I'll pop my head out for 20 mins maybe around midnight-2am. I guess that will be the best time. Amazing the luck - considering the weather we've been having.

Flukey, skies in Dublin still good?

Advertisement