Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkers

Options
  • 06-08-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the generally feeling is on Walkers. I myself use one for DS but I try to limit his time in it as the suppose to effect walking later but I just find it sooooo useful.
    DS is mad about getting around, never sit still - What's a mother to do??? Yeah I can play on the floor with him but when it comes to getting some work done around the house, it's a god send.
    I was at the baby nurse last week and she let out a scream when I told her that I used one. I am aware about accidents happening but I have secured my home so he can't fall or pick up anything and I keep a constant eye on him. And if they are so bad for babies why are shops still allowed to sell them???? I know 1 shop in particular who will not sell them but the majority do. What do you think????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Used them with both my kids until they started to crawl then put them away. They are both now well able to walk and don't have bow legs, muscle weakness, weak hips etc etc (blah blah!)
    The main danger in these is lack of parental supervision and thoughtlessness. There are stories of children falling downstairs in them, falling out doors, that sort of thing. I have seen them topple but this is generally when the child is reaching for something and if the parent is keeping a close eye then they can avoid the situation. They are banned in Canada because of instances of children being allowed to use them on the upper floors of houses without stair gates. It seems that governments are legislating to avoid parental stupidity rather than actual safety issues with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I completely agree...walkers in monitored moderation are just fine. You can have problems with anything if you don't watch you child and/or use it too much. My DD *loved* her bouncer/walker and I put her in it for about 20 mins at a time (ie when I was making dinner/eating bkfast/etc). I also balanced her time in it w/ time sitting on the floor, "standing" on my legs, etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I didnt use one for my son, but got one from a friend when my daughter was v small. She loved it, it gave her great freedom. As soon as she made a move towards getting about herself I got rid of it. She walked at exactly the same stage as her brother, but I did notice she had issues with balance for ages. Im not sure if its related. Shes racing about the place fine now tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Like any tool for rearing your children if used correctly it will be a boon to both you and the child and if used incorrectly or over used can be harmful.

I would be less them impressed with the health nurses reaction tbh if she raised her voice at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Hate them!! But that's due to an accident that happened to my sister.
    I now have a fear of them and the thought of using one on my child makes me shudder.

Please be very careful! :)

(I know you are, just saying it again)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think everything is fine in moderation so I don't have a problem with walkers - as long as you are not near any steps. I don't have one because my son hated it when I put him in a friends & when we got one for our daughter, our son used to run pushing it & ram it into the wall - so we got rid, lol.

My friend used a walker quite a lot & her child started walking (not a bow leg in sight) a long time before our walkerless kid, so not sure if the old wives tale re stalling walking holds water.

So as long as you use sensibly, supervise well & make sure the walker cannot get near steps then I don't think there's an issue with them....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

I can’t believe people still use baby walkers – they are a proven hazard, falls, burns, drowning etc. children have sustained because of them. It is vital for children to explore their surroundings by crawling and will walk when ready. Personally I think people use walkers because they are lazy – let babies entertain themselves kind of attitude...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pubpub wrote:
    I can’t believe people still use baby walkers – they are a proven hazard, falls, burns, drowning etc. children have sustained because of them. It is vital for children to explore their surroundings by crawling and will walk when ready. Personally I think people use walkers because they are lazy – let babies entertain themselves kind of attitude...
    And children still fall, burn, drown etc without a walker in sight. I didnt use a walker because Im a lazy person, in fact it was the opposite, I had to run around after my daughter (instead of maybe plonking her in a perfectly safe, but boring playpen).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There are stories of children falling downstairs in them, falling out doors, that sort of thing.

anyone who puts a child in a walker near stairs isn't fit to have a child imo.

maybe we should alert them saying that fire is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

pubpub wrote:

This is why EVERYONE said that children should always be properly superivsed. Also most said that the walker was taken away when the child started moving around under their own steam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement