Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time Build - Opinions on the Spec

Options
  • 06-08-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

So this will be my first time putting together a pc myself. I will be using the keyboard,mouse,screen,hard drive,DVD burner and probly the graphics card from my current pc(Dell Dimension 5000).

Here's the spec:

ABIT AB9 Pro Motherboard €128.01
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache €120.01
    Crucial PC5300 DDR2 CL5 RAM €79.00
    Gigabyte GZ-X1 Black Case €43.00

Total = €370.02 + €24 delivery= €394.02 From Komplett.ie

What do ye think of the spec?I'm planning on using it for browsing the web,creating web pages,MS Office and some light gaming.Will be running Windows XP initially,maybe Vista Home Premium(32 bit) later.

Not sure what to do about a PSU.My current one is 305W and 2 yrs old. Would that do or would I better buying a new one?

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

duffman85 wrote:
    What do ye think of the spec?I'm planning on using it for browsing the web,creating web pages,MS Office and some light gaming.Will be running Windows XP initially,maybe Vista Home Premium(32 bit) later.

Not sure what to do about a PSU.My current one is 305W and 2 yrs old. Would that do or would I better buying a new one?

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.:)

Buy a new PSU. And don't cheap out get a good one.

Hiper 530W €70
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322198

A hipper wouldn't be a bad choice if you are on a tight budget, that or a cheap fortran.

Avoid NorthQ power supplies like the plague.

What exact graphics card are you going to use? Are you sure its a pci express gfx card?

Also that board is an Intel P965: it doesn;t suppoet the next step up in Intel.

An Intel P35 motherboard might be a better idea.

Abit IP35-E (example)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335662

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

uberpixie wrote:

Also that board is an Intel P965: it doesn;t suppoet the next step up in Intel.

An Intel P35 motherboard might be a better idea.

Abit IP35-E (example)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335662

Thanks for that.I didn't cop that all.
    Was also conisdering this Gigabyte board
    Would it be overkill forthe uses i've mentioned?

Gfx card is ATI X300 128MB - won't run most new games but runs the ones I have and which is all i need.It is PCI-Express - probly one of the first (cheap) ones:D

Thanks for the advice on the PSU :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah it's bit overkill for the tasks you outlined the 965 will do just fine but if you want a P35 chipset (better overclocking & CPU support really is it's selling point) then get this MSI board has pretty much everything you need.

Advertisement