Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does this laptop look?

• 06-08-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, currently looking for a laptop, found this on laptopsdirect.ie, it's an Acer Aspire 5920WSMi Laptop

Specs:

# Processor: Powerful Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz (x2), 800MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache
    # RAM: 2GB Fast DDR2 RAM! (2 x 1024Mb)
    # 1GB Turbo Memory - for a faster boot time
    # Hard Drive: 160GB Hard Disk
    # Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10) with CrystalBrite Technology
    # Optical Drive: DVD Re-writer (DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer)
    # Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 1GB of TurboCache memory - ideal for playing the latest games!
    # Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g/n - Wireless Internet Connection
    # Battery Life (Depending on Use): 3.5 hours 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    # Weight: 3kg
    # Warranty: 1 Year Collect and Return (Europe-wide)- Upgradeable to 3 Years for only £49 - Call for details!
    # Operating System: New Windows Vista Home Premium
    # 1GB of Intel Turbo Memory
    # Built-in 0.3Mp CrystalEye Camera
    # Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000
    # HDMI port with HDCP
    # 5-in-1 card reader

I have a few questions:

1. Is this a good deal?
    2. What are laptopsdirect.ie like as a company to deal with?
    3. Are Acer laptops good?
    4. What does "1GB Turbo Memory" mean?
    5. Is that a good graphics card? Would it play the latest sports games (i haven't a clue about graphics cards, would like to be able to play games like Madden or the new Rugby game)
    6. Would there be better alternatives available out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any help/advice at all?:(

Hey, sorry, just realised i forgot to post the price of the machine :o it's €1174.91 (not including delivery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

It looks like a decent spec machine, I can't speak for the build quality as I've never seen one of these.

Turbo memory is only useful under Windows vista.. I'm not sure but maybe it can be unlocked as a 1GB USB drive under XP (it would make sense, since that's what it is).

If you're interested in playing games then I can assume you'd be staying away from Vista so Turbo memory doesn't mean much.

As for the price.. I specced out a similar system from Dell but with a 17" screen and Bluetooth and 2MP webcamera for 1039. And that includes delivery. (the rest is the same, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT, 160GB HDD, Intel T7300 etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

netman wrote:
    If you're interested in playing games then I can assume you'd be staying away from Vista QUOTE]

Hey Netman

Is Vista bad for games then? I'm buying a laptop over the next few days. Wouldn't be playing anything crazy (CSS, maybe the new C&C and of course the classic RA2). Is it just recommended against Vista for running the latest games at their max or are even basic games running horribly?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

well, everything runs slower in vista, but for the games you mention i don't think you'll see any difference at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

netman wrote:
    well, everything runs slower in vista, but for the games you mention i don't think you'll see any difference at all :)

Thanks for that Netman. I went for the Vostro, very similar to the OPs in the end. 2gb ram and 256mb graphics card will run Red Alert 2 at least methinks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

was going to go with a vostro, but 4 weeks minimum wait!!!

I've decided to go with a Vostro, i know there's a 4 week wait but i'll still have it before college... Plus they are seriously good value...

Advertisement