Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident today... Keep an eye out lads if you will

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As Unkel said, the main thing is you were both (relatively) unhurt. I use the M50/M1 as well a fair bit so will keep an eye out too.

I really think incidents like this, and atrocious driving in general, makes the case for front/rear mounted CCTV cameras in cars - like I believe Dublin Bus has fitted to their vehicles now.

Anyway, hope this scumbag is caught, and the insurance process isn't too painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Might be an idea to post roughly what time it happened this morning, might help jog someones memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Gil you sound like a real decent fella and i was shocked to read what had happened to you and in disbelief when that guy drove off. I'm glad you're both ok and i hope that scumbag gets nabbed and pinned to the wall. Unfortunately i ve nothing to offer but best wishes and good luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gil, glad that its just your car that came out badly. I spun years ago and met a ditch. Thankfully the only real damage was a small bit to my car and a fair bit to the ditch. Cars can be replaced - people cannot.
    impr0v wrote:
    It's called the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland, and as well as uninsured vehicles it covers unidentified and foreign vehicles. Everyone who pays an insurance premium in Ireland contributes to the fund and its general raison d'etre is to put a person in a position they would be in if the other vehicle was identified and was insured. In other words, as far as I understand it, it has to be demonstrated that fault can be attributed to the uninsured or unidentified vehicle. Most solicitors will be able to fill you in on the nitty gritty.

Claim forms are available on the website; http://www.mibi.ie/
    Do you not need a full reg number to make a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Mad stuff! I hope the guards find that Landrover and the driver!

One evening I was on the slip road out of M50 to join M1 at the 80 km/h zone, there was a washing machine (!!!! I am not kidding, could have been a dishwasher or dyer, not that it makes any difference) right there in the middle of the outside lane! It had fallen off a trunk / skip minutes ago from the looks of it. I had to throw the car into the inside lane on the last second and again thank what who ever you believe in, I somehow landed between two cars in the inside line with inches separating all three!

All that you see in Top Gear and F1 is amazing and all that but the reality, unfortunately, is not all that fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I think I saw your accident yesterday after it occured. There was a fire engine looking at an upturned black vehicle near the Ballymun exit Northbound early in the morning. Theres a camera on a large pole at the Finglas exit looking at traffic coming from the toll bridge towards the airport. It might be worth seeing if that can reveal anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Yep,

Full registration number and drivers name required to make a claim. And it must be confirmed that the driver had no insurance.... :o

My insurers tell me there's nothing they can do - Won't even pay the recovery charge from yesterday as my insurance is only TPFT. So, another 190 notes down the toilet on top of the loss of vehicle, medical expenses and so on.

Ah well, life goes on, and that's the main thing.

Gil

Andrewf20 wrote:
    I think I saw your accident yesterday. There was a fire engine looking at an upturned black vehicle near the Ballymun exit Northbound.

Yep, that was us. Deadly, I'm famous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thank God you are both okay Gil !

That's an unbelieveable story !

There is a good chance the cameras will get him, sounds like he was a Northern driver indeed !

I travel the M1/N1 everyday and will keep an eye out !

Best of luck, and glad you weren't another statistic !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Gil, sorry to hear of what happened to you. I drive the M1 all the time and constantly see attrocious manoeuvers like the one that caused your accident. While driving along I've often wondered what the outcome would be should someone move out and clip me or someone else. Thank God you could walk away.

Anyway, I spend much time travelling beween Dublin and the North (where I'm from) so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the LR Disco you describe. It is quite ironic that it should be one of these as of all cars, as they are the ones which I see being driven by the dumbest, most ignorant dime bars on the roads. I would also try giving the PSNI a call about the incident. It is likely that such a tool may have also been driving like an ass north of the border and someone else there may have had cause to report him too.

All the best man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I drive the M50 every day to and from work and will also keep an eye out for a likely looking LR. Glad to hear you are recovering and have a positive attitude to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Very sorry to hear about that Gil - glad you're OK

Fukcin cnuts should be thrown into jail and spend 6 months being buggered in the showers - absolute scum

Sounds like there's a good chance they'll be caught on camera - what will happen then how far can they be prosecuted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

And who, pray tell, is going to check these cameras?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Gardai to do anything, and you'll find the owners of these cameras reluctant to give any video to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Corpo own them. I doubt they're recorded though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

And, Gil, wait until you get the bill from the Fire Brigade for their services!

Fire Brigades around the country have been known to send out bills for their services to the relatives of people fatally injured in car crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jesus, what kind of pr1ck would drive off and leave 2 people for dead... really sorr to hear man, I'll keep an eye open and I'm sure that Boards will probably be more effictive than the gardai...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The car may have been rushing to the airport. Maybe they have some CCTV images there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

This thread has made me so angry I had to get up and walk around. This fcuker should be locked in a cell with Bubba (who's sister was coincidentally killed in a hit and run) for the rest of his days. I'm so very glad that you're ok. Could so easily have happened that there was nobody here to start this thread. Good luck getting the bstrd and I hope you both recover soon.

G

Sabre Man wrote:
    The car may have been rushing to the airport. Maybe they have some CCTV images there?

Possibly. But, I spent 3 hours yesterday late afternoon trawling through each and ever car park close to the Airport with a friend. That's both long terms, the short terms - all including the disabled one, the quick park and the hotels. No sign. But you wouldn't believe the number of people driving black Disco's in this country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Unbelievable. If it happened on a back road I'd not be so sure but the fact it was M50/toll bridge/M1 territory there surely has to be a dozen cameras that tracked this prick's movements.
    With any luck they'll find the LR and its driver mangled into a wall :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

jeez sorry to hear bout yir accident....Overtaking on the inside is a real problem in the states...they call it changing lanes over there...twice i came very close to a smash with drivers either side of me goin for my safe space at the same time......hope they catch the runner.
    .what kind of car were you in btw?
    were theyre any more witnesses to the accident?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slickmcvic wrote:
    Overtaking on the inside is a real problem in the states...

No it's not a problem. You don't have to go into the "overtaking lane" to overtake, you can stay in your own lane and pass people on your left or on your right
    slickmcvic wrote:
    they call it changing lanes over there

It's called "keep your lane"

Sorry for O/T but I felt that needed some explanation...

I know my fellow boards.ie's love a few pictures....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Links are broken!

Fixed now....HTML always gets the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember, many, many years ago when my trusty Mk I Cortina was rammed from the side at a crossroads and rolled over and skidded across the junction on the roof. I experienced the whole 'slow motion' ' life passing before your eyes' thing and then a massive crunching sound as the car rolled back onto it's wheels and came to a stop. All I remember then was a couple of passers by coming up to the car and saying "Oh my god, they're alive!". That's stuck with me ever since then. Both myself and my passenger were completely unscathed physically, if a little shaken.

What that guy did was despicable, and I hope he gets his comeuppance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I know my fellow boards.ie's love a few pictures....

You jammy git!

That could have been so much worse.

Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised it's not worse looking than that. The back left window broke a mount, but didn't smash surprisingly - It's the only one that's not lying on the M50 or left bits in my hands. If the engine bay wasn't awash with transmission oil, I'd be considering bolting an SJ body onto the rolling chassis with a flatbed rear and going offroading in it! :D

Sadly, it's not to be. The Zuk is off to the crusher tomorrow as it's already cost me €181 to get it towed, and the recovery/salvage folks usually charge 50 lids per night storage (even for a wreck). I can't afford to be paying that sort of charge given the fact I'm going to have to scrape the cash for a replacement car together in the next couple of weeks already.

Not to worry, it could have been so much worse. Keep your eyes peeled, and your seatbelts fastened....

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Gil my heart goes out to you and the s.o man. I hope you feel better real soon. I'm on the m50 every day and i'll keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I echo what the others are saying!
    From the pics you are both lucky to walk away from it unhurt.
    Given the early hour and lack of traffic on the roads if there is cctv footage then it should be possible to identify the LR. You will need to push it with the police or whomever can release the cctv footage - not as important or urgent to them as it is to you and all that!

Best of luck with getting justice and let us know what happens!

Advertisement