Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident today... Keep an eye out lads if you will

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Remember the north is only an hour away and it is very simple to pop up and have a chat with someone....
    An hour to some, 300 years to others! Fancy popping up to East Belfast to 'have a chat'?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Seems like they are making progress !

Get well soon Gil !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Statements are made, M50 footage is with the Gardaí. Now for the Bulmers....

Nothing to add but time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Statements are made, M50 footage is with the Gardaí. Now for the Bulmers....

Nothing to add but time ;)

excellent gil some progress has been made... delighted to hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

good to hear it ended well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Gil, what a story, just trawled from the very beginning (which made my blood boil) to this point and I really hope it has the ending we're all wishing for. Fair play to you for keeping the head through what must be a very tough time, and i'm sure your patience will pay off. I wish you and your GF the best.

Well, the latest news ain't good. The Gardaí have been unable to confirm the registration number from the West Link tollbridge. They also didn't have the foresight to obtain the footage from the North Link on the M1....

So there's nothing to go on. Talk about having ones hopes dashed. I'm ****ing gutted. It's their fault I had my hopes up in the first place - I mean, they TOLD me they had a registration, and they were just confirming it.....

That's that I suppose. I'm down the guts of 3.5k on the car, recovery and disposal costs etc. We're out of pocket to the tune of around 1k on medical bills, prescriptions etc., and that's likely to go on for a few more months minimum. I know, don't get me wrong - I'm eternally grateful we're both okay (relatively speaking), but the realities are more extensive than just getting out alive etc. Fingers crossed, I'll finish paying off the cost of the replacement car and that'll be the end of the 'expense'.

Well, that's that I guess. I just wanted to let you all know the outcome. Thanks to all and sundry for the kind words and best wishes. I'd like to especially thank those of you who PM'd me with different offers of assistance - You're kind folks and a real community - Believe me, I've seen it.

All the best,

Gil & Herself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:(

What a pisser. Once again the Gardai prove themselves less than 'with the program' and the sh-i-t gets away with it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ah no, what a crappy ending.

Can you still proceed with a civil case though? I know they often require 'less' proof than a 'proper' case. The semi-reading of the reg plate might suffice. If this is a daft suggestion on my part, then I apologise in advance. I just hate the idea of this person getting away scotfree

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

that is really annoying all the crap the normal folk of this island have to put up with and then when something like this happens you have to put up with the imcompetent gardai incapable of doing simple tasks to track down a car reg.......it just makes me very angry :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

that is complete bull****

you think the garda approached the northie and he bribed them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

:mad:

That's a terrible end to this. I really thought you were going to get some justice out of this, guess I've been watching too much CSI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

quick question, do the garda have at least a partial reg and if they have do you know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sad news Gil. Sorry to hear. Just hope something else pops up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats fúcked up. I'll tell you one thing, if you drove thru that POS toll without paying, I'm 100% sure they'd get your reg. Bástards.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Crap :(

Some things don't add up here. Why were you informed the guards had a reg from the M50 toll and then it emerges they never even attempted to get the M1 toll CCTV too?

As miju posted, were you given a part reg? If so, please post it here so we have something to go on

@Dudara - Thanks for the suggestion, but there's no proof that the guy didn't turn off at Blanchardstown after coming through the toll without footage from further north.... Now, if there was footage showing him flit through the M1 toll in say 30-35 minutes after the M50 toll, there's only one route he could have taken....The one that would include a collision with me :mad:

I've called the NTR office up at the North Link and had a chat with a very helpful guy up there on their CCTV desk who fully sympathised. Unfortunately, they overwrite their digital recording after one month. Shame nobody asked before now as he could easily have pulled the video and captured stills, but then, I thought it was all under control so I didn't call - I was actually told initially by the Gardaí NOT to call them, that they'd look after it themselves.....

@Others - No, the Gardaí haven't provided me with a partial reg, and I wouldn't expect them to, to be honest. I'd hit the roof if someone used a partial match on my own cars registration to try pinning an accident on me, so I couldn't really fault any authorities for refusing to possibly tar an innocent motorist, just because their reg contains a partially matching sequence of numbers. The plate on the vehicle could have been copied - A 'ringer' as they call it. Who knows.

@Tails142 - Two words: Hit....and....Run. By a foreign registered vehicle.....On a bank holiday? And you think a Garda would be bribed to make that go away? Come on man, really. Can we all put an end to the conspiracy theories right now. Thanks.

Look - I think the Garda tried. I think the effort was made, but perhaps without the sense of urgency and thorough approach I would like to have seen taken....But what can ye do, you know? Piss and moan of course, but that won't get me anywhere, and it's not going to lead to some massive change in the approach of Gardaí across the country to this type of incident. Yeah, we could have been killed....but we weren't....and that's got to be at the back of their minds when they've to prioritise allocation of resources. Either they're dealing with the local drug dealers and gang trouble, assaults and mugging and who knows what other 'nasty' petty crime, or they're phoning a guy in an office asking him to pull some video tape to see if he can spot a car and enhance the stills..... In my world, I know what I'd prioritise if I were in their shoes. They do their job to my mind. Sadly, I've been let down this time, but such is life. I'll still trust the force to work to protect me, but I'll have real doubt from this day forth about just how effective they'll be, despite the 'good intentions' and all that.... sad but true.

Anyway, I'm off to bed with my friend Diazepam.

Cheerio,

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Sorry to hear your bad luck Gil Dub. I hope you catch them so they can own up to their responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm sorry to hear it as well. I'd been keeping an eye on this thread. I fúcking hate that the bad guy gets away. Really goads me. You'd run the toll you'd be done, someone nearly kills two people and runs?

It just doesn't compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

@Tails142 - Two words: Hit....and....Run. By a foreign registered vehicle.....On a bank holiday? And you think a Garda would be bribed to make that go away? Come on man, really. Can we all put an end to the conspiracy theories right now. Thanks.

It just that I find it difficult to believe that the state would hire people so incompetent at *their* jobs; I dont see why with a partial match they can't search the database for nearby matches which fit the model and colour - its what I'd be doing even it meant typing them manually into a cartell type website.

You're probably right about limited resources and priorities though. Just seemed like this thread was the poster-child of how the gardai can get things right, only to have it collapse in on itself with typical "inept garda" flair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Tails142 wrote:
    It just that I find it difficult to believe that the state would hire people so incompetent at *their* jobs;

do you? really? good lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

thats shi* gil, i really hope he gets his come uppance somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Makes my blood boil; this could have been any of us. Best of luck and continued recovery to you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

A sad end to an awful incident. At one point in I was even thinking that maybe the Gardai aren't completely rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Isn't the Motor Insurance Bureau for this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

testicle wrote:
    Isn't the Motor Insurance Bureau for this sort of thing?

You can't make a claim unless you have the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I was following this since it started. Gil, sorry to hear of the outcome. To be honest, your case reaffirmed my non-belief in the Garda force - sorry, farce. Many times I have seeked their help in traffic matters, even written to then-minister of Transport, Seamus Brennan, as well as Commissioner Noel Conroy. Planks the lot of them. Too much work for them methinks. They couldn't even think ahead and obtain the M1 video for your case.

Why have a road traffic patrol force at all?

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear it as well. I'd been keeping an eye on this thread. I fúcking hate that the bad guy gets away. Really goads me. You'd run the toll you'd be done, someone nearly kills two people and runs?

It just doesn't compute.

It's shocking alright. To know that two lives cost less than the price of a toll.

I really hope that asshole is suffering for his sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A sad end to an awful incident. At one point in I was even thinking that maybe the Gardai aren't completely rubbish.
    That sums up my thinking as well. Very sorry to hear how things have ended up for you Gil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement