Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bike and I also need help!

Options
  • 06-08-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hey lads.. I'm more used to posting in the motor forum being a petrol head so this all feels weird.. :D

I've decided enough is enough - traffic, trying to find parking, more traffic home.

Now going back 7 years, I was fairly fit cycling to school everyday doing 2 return trips Mon-Fri and I was fairly clued into the scene with my very flash (at the time) Raleigh M Trax which I paid IR£500 for. :rolleyes:

So I'm back on the bike market, my journey is Castleknock to Ballsbridge so it's all city stuff.

Apart from how to dodge low flying trucks, I also need to find out what sort of two wheels I need. Racer or not, what brand, where to go etc (I was thinking Joe Daly would be a good bet)..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MarkN wrote:
    Hey lads.. I'm more used to posting in the motor forum being a petrol head so this all feels weird.. :D

I've decided enough is enough - traffic, trying to find parking, more traffic home.

Now going back 7 years, I was fairly fit cycling to school everyday doing 2 return trips Mon-Fri and I was fairly clued into the scene with my very flash (at the time) Raleigh M Trax which I paid IR£500 for. :rolleyes:

So I'm back on the bike market, my journey is Castleknock to Ballsbridge so it's all city stuff.

Apart from how to dodge low flying trucks, I also need to find out what sort of two wheels I need. Racer or not, what brand, where to go etc (I was thinking Joe Daly would be a good bet)..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :D

A Specialized Sirrus pro is a great commuter bike and would do this journey easily. Budget matter once it's not thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

No, sorry I shoud've said actually.

I don't mind paying a bit for a decent lightweight bike but not thousands no.

Up to 500/600 quid wouldn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flippythewarvet

if its just for commuting in the city any lightweight frame with slick or semi slick tyres should be fine maybe a ridgeback cyclone. (i think these are 350 euro new and come with slicks) Also get the handlebars cut down to allow easy movement through parked traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MarkN wrote:
    No, sorry I shoud've said actually.

I don't mind paying a bit for a decent lightweight bike but not thousands no.

Up to 500/600 quid wouldn't bother me.

Get any of the Sirrus range so, I meant to say it's under a thousand.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3109&page=1

Can Sirrus be bought here in Dublin or is that website in the link where to go?

Buying a bike on net for size etc just seems a bit daunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I wouldn't buy from the Net unless you've tried it "in the flesh" first. The Specialized Sirrus range is available in Cycleways. Also check out the Giant FCRs (Commuting Solutions in Rathmines and Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght) and the Lapierre RCRs. These are all basically the same thing: road bikes with flat handlebars.
    MarkN wrote:
    Can Sirrus be bought here in Dublin or is that website in the link where to go?

Buying a bike on net for size etc just seems a bit daunting.

That's cool, thanks for the tip GR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats your route? I'm slowly getting back cycling after a similar lay off. I'm taking it slowly though. One guy at work ripped back into cycling like a madman, and has had to stop after a few weeks because his back flared up. We reckon the bike setup is wrong for him. So thats important to get right.

Well at the moment in the car I have all sorts of short cuts to save time on the journey but on a bike I'd probably either go down the quays after going through the park and across to Ballsbridge from Custom House or else something similar to what I do now - Phoenix Park, Parkgate St, Thomas St, Francis St, Stephens Green and Mount St towards Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't cycle in that area myself, but I'd suggest you avoid the quays - A cyclist is killed on the quays every 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

RainyDay wrote:
    I don't cycle in that area myself, but I'd suggest you avoid the quays - A cyclist is killed on the quays every 6 months or so.
    The bus lane along the north quays from Parkgate St to O'Connell Street should make it safer.
    You can always try using the Luas tracks, though it is illegal. Just be sensible.
    You could see what route the DTO Journey Planner suggests.

Cheers for the advice lads re the quays.

I bought a Giant FCR2 today in Cyclesuper. I tried out the Lapierre hybrid but I preferred the Giant, €765 it set me back.

I just did a quick 5k cycle just to try it out fully when I got home and I am dripping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

nice one! hope you like it as much as I like mine!

Jesus my arse and my left knee are both quite sore :D

IIRC the saddle pain does go away after a few days.

Am I right in thinking the chain and brake housing need to be oiled probably once a week or more if lashing rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just the chain and you should clean it before re-oiling, don't just apply more oil over whatever crud has accumulated. Purists will insist on taking the chain off, etc. but Muc-Off/degreaser and a cloth will do fine. Once a week would be more than enough and overkill unless it has been raining.

Advertisement