Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverts experience in Ireland?

• 06-08-2007 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Read a few accounts lately..of how challenging it has been ..especially for younger reverts. One University student was unable to attend the out of campus graduation festivities, due to the presence of alcohol and dress code. I would specificaly like to hear from reverts as to how their lives and interaction with society changed as a result..

regards
    A

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what exactly is a revert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

a revert is the Islamic term for a convert... Muslims believe that everyone is born Muslim...in converting they are then merely 'reverting' to their original state:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mordeth wrote:
    what exactly is a revert?

It's someone who converts to Islam, but in Islam it's believe that everyone's born Muslim and then stray from the path. So in converting, it's considering 'Reverting'.

Edit: What Filan said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

good grief, that is one of the more insulting things I've heard this year

--edit

--below

I know, I know.

back seat modder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mordeth wrote:

I'd agree, but this isn't really the board for disagreement with Islam. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Mordeth wrote:

More insulting than the pope saying his is the only one true church ?

I see no difference here to other faiths professing to be the one and only.
    I even recall reading on the Atheist forom that were all born Atheist . Is that as insulting ?

My point is only that I think the "insult" is only from your perspective because all faiths (and none) have this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Waaait a minute guys. I thought it was the Muzlims who were supposed to get all insulted because of other people's beliefs. Can everyone please get back on script now? thanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

DinoBot wrote:
    More insulting than the pope saying his is the only one true church ?

Whats insulting about that, it is the one true church, or at least that's what I believe, but I'd never claim everyone else on the planet is a Catholic, that's their choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Filan wrote:
    Read a few accounts lately..of how challenging it has been ..especially for younger reverts. One University student was unable to attend the out of campus graduation festivities, due to the presence of alcohol and dress code. I would specificaly like to hear from reverts as to how their lives and interaction with society changed as a result..

regards
    A

I find this interesting. Did the 'revert's' own style of dress contravene the dress code? Or was it a case of being offended by the way others dress?

As regards avoiding the presence of alcohol, is this a requirement of Islam? Is it, for example, considered wrong to be in the presence of others when they are consuming alcohol, even if you do not consume it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

Just relating this to what I think I remember reading in the "Mulsilims not allowed to convert" thread.

Did I see that experts had interpreted that converting from Islam to another religion should be punished by death (Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was deff. some punishment).

Then along with the belief that everyone is born a Muslim, and the majority choose then to "convert to another religion", does that not make them subject to the same punishment. Then how does this work with reverts? is all forgiven when they change back.

It all just seems like a glaring contradiction to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Evangelion wrote:
    Just relating this to what I think I remember reading in the "Mulsilims not allowed to convert" thread.

Did I see that experts had interpreted that converting from Islam to another religion should be punished by death (Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was deff. some punishment).

Then along with the belief that everyone is born a Muslim, and the majority choose then to "convert to another religion", does that not make them subject to the same punishment. Then how does this work with reverts? is all forgiven when they change back.

It all just seems like a glaring contradiction to me

More a case that you can hardly help how you're brought up. If you're raised a Catholic, with no access to Islam, that's hardly your fault. If, on the other hand, you willingly choose as an adult to defect from the true religion, that would be different.

Similarly, Christianity doesn't blame anyone for being brought up pagan, but apostasy is frowned on, as is rejection of the Gospels when offered.

And atheists believe you can hardly help being brought up in a religion as a child, but really ought to have dropped that kind of thing by the time you're an adult. Adult conversion we tend to regard as evidence of mental weakness...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Nice to some action on the Islam forum again. I was actually just about to write about another topic but I guess it can wait as time is tight.

I'm not a convert/revert but thought I'd comment on a few things.
    PDN wrote:
    As regards avoiding the presence of alcohol, is this a requirement of Islam? Is it, for example, considered wrong to be in the presence of others when they are consuming alcohol, even if you do not consume it yourself?
    That's a very good question and, unfortunately, I can't give you a solid answer. I've heard some people say that simply being in the presence of alcohol is forbidden whereas others say that it's not. I think (in my humble opinion) that it might have something to do with the atmosphere. For example, a bar or nightclub is a place associated with the consumption of alcohol and that kind of place should be avoided by a Muslim.

On the other hand, you can be in a restaurant with some non-Muslim friends and they might order a bottle of wine. Is this okay? (as long as you don't split the bill inclusive of the cost of the wine). This is actually something I've been meaning to do some research on for quite a while now. Must do some reading. I'll let you guys know if I find anything.
    Evangelion wrote:
    There are some scholars who say there should be some punishment but there are also others who say that there's no punishment whatsoever. I'm of the latter opinion as I feel it's most strongly backed by the Quran and hadith (sayings of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Evangelion wrote:
    everyone is born a Muslim, and the majority choose then to "convert to another religion", does that not make them subject to the same punishment
    As the_new_mr has said, not everyone agrees about the issue of punishment. Also, there is a big difference between not knowing about Islam, and then understanding Islam and yet rejecting it.
    Yes, each child is a Muslim, but does not understand this - its parents direct the child's belief, and their parents before them, and theirs before them. How exactly things change when the child develops into an adolescent or a young man or woman, I don't know. So I'm not sure how responsible the parents are either, since they possibly don't know much about Islam themselves.

One thing that is certain however, is the necessity of da'wah on behalf of all Muslims (inviting those who were not raised with Islam to understand Islam), so that hopefully the situation of knowing little/ having the wrong impressions of Islam doesn't arise.

Advertisement