Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doors to door polish beggars

• 06-08-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

I live in the back end of the country, on a quiet road about five miles from the nearest town and not on any bus route, but three times in the last week i've had polish beggars arrive at the door, on foot, looking for money. They all carried cards saying something along the lines of 'i am from poland, dont speak any english, am poor and need money for wife/kids back home etc'. they seem to spend all day walking around the county going door to door.
    anyone else seem them around?
    dont ask me why but it pisses my off something serious, arent they supposed to get work visas before they can get into the country ? last time i checked begging wasnt a job!
    mini rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

arent they supposed to get work visas before they can get into the country ?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

pyure wrote:
    I live in the back end of the country, on a quiet road about five miles from the nearest town and not on any bus route, but three times in the last week i've had polish beggars arrive at the door, on foot, looking for money. They all carried cards saying something along the lines of 'i am from poland, dont speak any english, am poor and need money for wife/kids back home etc'. they seem to spend all day walking around the county going door to door.
    dont ask me why but it pisses my off something serious, arent they supposed to get work visas before they can get into the country ? last time i checked begging wasnt a job!
    mini rant over.

Did you follow them to see what other houses they went in to or even if someone was driving them? Could have been after more than just begging!

They are EU citizens they are fully entitled to all our social welfares, even child benefit for the kids back home.

We would have to get a permit to work in Poland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tell them it's a good opener for a novel but that you'll need to read at least the first full chapter before you'll consider investing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

Door to door begging is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pyure wrote:
    arent they supposed to get work visas before they can get into the country ? last time i checked begging wasnt a job!
    mini rant over.

how come you didn't know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

pyure wrote:
    mini rant over.

What you need my friend is Ye Olde Worlde Scatter gun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

Mairt wrote:
    What you need my friend is Ye Olde Worlde Scatter gun :D

haha, simpsons moment - "anything you do to someone once they're in your house is nice and legal...doesnt work if you invite them in"

i did actually watch the last guy to come around, he went walking down the road stopping at every house until he was out of sight.
    was talking to a mate about this, he said they live on a housing estate in town...so they're not homeless, are entitled to state benefits and yet still the come to my house and ask for money ??? now im really annoyed, next time it wont be a "sorry, no money", it'll be a short sharp **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You can be fairly certain they're not Polish...

I won't take an educated guess as to their nationality though, at the risk of kickstarting the whole thing off all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can be damn certain they're not Polish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ned78 wrote:

Absolutely. I've never met a Polish person yet who would be inclined to beg. They'd die of shame before they'd do that. As other folk have said OP, you can be sure they weren't Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Yes, I would also tend to be of the opinion they were not Polish. Probably Roma cashing in on the relatively good reputation the Poles have. You can be sure there was the eastern european version of a Hiace van hidden somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Was their furniture very dusty or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They did the rounds here a few weeks ago, 4 reported houses broken into as well, when they came to my house, we rang the Garda, they were picked up within half an hour.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I live out in the boglands and generally the only people who would bother coming out to such a sparsely populated area to "beg" are really casing out the area.
    Keep an eye out for a second person checking out the back of the house while youre at the front door.
    Irish theives were doing this on their own before we started blaming it on "bloody foreigners"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I have no time for door to door beggars. No non national should be begging here. Tell them to get lost otherwise they will come back. Donate to a legitimate charity and help real causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ned78 wrote:
    Damn Australians. That's why they have cards, otherwise the Croc Hunter accent would give the game away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm in Mullingar and I've had a guy knock on my door doing the same thing, showed me a card with some writing on it, I said "No Thanks" and closed the door. My daughters teacher told me in June the guards raided an apartment where a group of Polish guys lived. These guys were breaking into houses, the Guards found of list of addresses, the list showed which house had dogs and which didn't. I don't know if both cases are related but watch out for these f**kers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

biko wrote:
    Damn Australians. That's why they have cards, otherwise the Croc Hunter accent would give the game away :D

But what about the Belgians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

Set the dogs on them or answer the door naked holding your lad with a bit of raw liver hanging from your mouth. Should do the trick !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ned78 wrote:
    eo980 wrote:
    Absolutely. I've never met a Polish person yet who would be inclined to beg. They'd die of shame before they'd do that. As other folk have said OP, you can be sure they weren't Polish.
    Echelle wrote:
    Yes, I would also tend to be of the opinion they were not Polish.

Yeah the Polish don't beg ;)

"A 27-year-old Polish man has been convicted of begging in a public place while in possession of €11,000.

Damian Dychtanowicz was arrested by gardaí outside the Sacred Heart Church in Roscommon on St Patrick's Day while begging for food and money."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0321/dychtanowiczd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Was walking my dog in Bushy Park the other day when a gypsy guy carrying a child came up and begged from me. I didn't give him anything - found him a bit creepy.

You can be fairly certain they're not Polish...

I won't take an educated guess as to their nationality though, at the risk of kickstarting the whole thing off all over again.

.-. --- -- .- ?

DonJose wrote:
    Yeah the Polish don't beg ;)

I didn't say they didn't beg. I clearly said I hadn't met any who would be anyway inclined to do so. It's in black and white, but sure you missed that for sensationalism eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mairt wrote:
    .-. --- -- .- ?

So are we thinking R*ma Gypsie*?

You had to mention the R word, didn't you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jesus christ, ill bet next week you'll be posting about how the same polskis have taken your job. Why don't they just go back to Polania!?!?! Just shut the f*ck up.
    luckat wrote:
    Was walking my dog in Bushy Park the other day when a gypsy guy carrying a child came up and begged from me. I didn't give him anything - found him a bit creepy.

Wow, what a unique and interesting story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So OP were they polish or not? You sound like my dad, who calls all people from Eastern Europe Latvian

Well, this is what the OP said!
    pyure wrote:
    . They all carried cards saying something along the lines of 'i am from poland, dont speak any english, am poor and need money for wife/kids back home etc'. .

Doesn't prove that they were polish of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Fergie wrote:
    If you ain't got no money get yo' broke ass home..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

ned78 wrote:
    eo980 wrote:
    Echelle wrote:
    Yes, I would also tend to be of the opinion they were not Polish.
    Well just hold on a second there lads, why exactly could they not be Polish? I see Polish people in the newspapers convicted of all sorts of crimes, I have personally encountered a Polish wino who slouched over here for the welfare, why should begging be beneath them? Maybe they got the news from the Gypsies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Or possibly y**R ma's a Gypsie?

Heh just kidding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

DaveMcG wrote:
    Jesus christ, ill bet next week you'll be posting about how the same polskis have taken your job. Why don't they just go back to Polania!?!?! Just shut the f*ck up.

Wow, what a unique and interesting story!

Well there's someone who gets grumpy whenn they stay up too late.
    If the topic doesn't interest you just move on and read something else.
    No need to stick your abusive twopence worth in, just because you can.
    People like you are every bit as irritating as the beggars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

ned78 Have Polish other half
    eo980 Have Polish GF
    Echelle May be looking for one :D

Me Have polish Wife

Judgement

BIASED

Polish people are not Angels.Good and Bad exist everywhere.
    You cannot generalize !

Think openly guys.Its possible for polish people to beg as its for any other nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This might settle whether they were polish or roma. OP, what colour was their skin? Polish people tend to be very light skinned like ourselves but romas are much darker. Apparently they originally came from india hundreds of years ago

• Advertisement

Polish people are not Angels.Good and Bad exist everywhere.
    You cannot generalize !

Think openly guys.Its possible for polish people to beg as its for any other nationality.

What is IT with people NOT reading posts before they decide to reply? I never said Polish people don't beg. I said of the large number of Polish people I know, none of them would remotely consider begging in any way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

eo980 wrote:
    What is IT with people NOT reading posts before they decide to reply? I never said Polish people don't beg. I said of the large number of Polish people I know, none of them would remotely consider begging in any way, shape or form.
    But you said we can be sure they are not Polish, which is a crock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pyure wrote:
    ...They all carried cards saying something along the lines of 'i am from poland, dont speak any english, am poor and need money for wife/kids back home etc'. ...

simple solution - "I'm sorry, I can't read"
    ... close door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should take the card, read it act all pleased and say "wow! one second let me show the card to my SO".

Then go in then write on the card very neatly "Give the bastards nothing!".

Will be a good test to see if they can read English or not.

btw, I know some people can't seem to comprehend this but there is such thing as Polish Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Maybe they're Wolish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I usually set my good ol' trust-worthy ED-209 after them.

That or call to the door naked, wear a disturbed-looking kid's mask, brandish a wooden spoon, and just stare at them without muttering a single word. Tip your head to the side every so often as if you're planning on which side of his face you're gonna eat 1st!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

luckat wrote:

Actually I bought that kid off him ... will have it up on Adverts.ie later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Everyone should do what I do, don't answer the door.

You get no canvassers during election times.
    No one trying to sell you life insurance.
    No knackers begging.
    No door-to-door chuggers.
    No TV licence inspector.
    No one trying to sell you "oil paintings" that are actually prints.

It's win win all round. Only answer the door when you're expecting someone, or let all your friends know to ring first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

a fairly attractive looking girl knocked at my door and showed me a card saying that she was Polish and needed money for college. She did look Polish and I would definitely say she was not a Roma Gypsie.

She wasn't too happy when I said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jor el wrote:
    Everyone should do what I do, don't answer the door.

You get no canvassers during election times.
    No one trying to sell you life insurance.
    No knackers begging.
    No door-to-door chuggers.
    No TV licence inspector.
    No one trying to sell you "oil paintings" that are actually prints.

It's win win all round. Only answer the door when you're expecting someone, or let all your friends know to ring first.

Excellent principle when did someone ever knock on your door that you didnt know. And give you good news when you answered ...never happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

After reading this I'm actually glad for once that I live in an apartment. I love my trusty buzzer and my old neighbours who are obsessed with keeping the outside door locked at all times. Nobody has ever come to my door unless I invite them, and even then I can choose to not let them in (if they haven't brought snacks!)

Hobbes wrote:
    You should take the card, read it act all pleased and say "wow! one second let me show the card to my SO".

Then go in then write on the card very neatly "Give the bastards nothing!".

Will be a good test to see if they can read English or not.

btw, I know some people can't seem to comprehend this but there is such thing as Polish Roma.

Speak to them in Polish! then you'll know for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Fcuking polish beggars, last time they came to my house, i chucked a can of Mr. Sheen at them and told them its all theyll get and to fcuk off and never come back :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

fair play, that'll learn 'em. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What's Polish for 'fu<k off' then? With a phonetic guide if you please, could come in handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement