Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doors to door polish beggars

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

“Howsoever you treat the least among you, so do you treat me”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had a kid call to the door once. Looked Indian in origin. Said nothing, handed me a piece of paper with some "International Mute Society" logo or something. It looked like a badly photocopied piece of crap. On it were written a whole pile of names and donations, they all looked like they'd been written by a child - the same child, using different pens for each name.

The kid said nothing the whole time, obviously trying to keep up the mute pretence.

I just said "Nope, can't help you", and handed it back to him. I tend not to answer the door unless they've seen me through the window. This kid saw me through the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pyure wrote:
    I live in the back end of the country, on a quiet road about five miles from the nearest town and not on any bus route, but three times in the last week i've had polish beggars arrive at the door, on foot, looking for money. They all carried cards saying something along the lines of 'i am from poland, dont speak any english, am poor and need money for wife/kids back home etc'. they seem to spend all day walking around the county going door to door.
    anyone else seem them around?
    dont ask me why but it pisses my off something serious, arent they supposed to get work visas before they can get into the country ? last time i checked begging wasnt a job!
    mini rant over.

I've read it again and yes you must live in a very special place, where there are no jobless imigrants or worse still someone down on luck and needs to beg. You should get a grip, imigrants (and also beggars) are a fact of life not just in Ireland but in practically every developed country in the world. You're obviously not ready for it. So take the local signs down so as to prevent any innocent tourist from passing near or through your hallowed environs.

If you are too miserable to help at least be civil. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oh I do like the above post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

i dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I've read it again and yes you must live in a very special place, where there are no jobless imigrants or worse still someone down on luck and needs to beg.
    Hey, the middle ages called, they want their society back. In an era and location of ubiquitous (and pretty damn decent) social welfare, state sponsored education and medicine, there is no excuse whatsoever for begging. None. If you are able bodied and sound enough of mind to get yourself out there and start asking people for money, become a sales rep.
    If you are too miserable to help at least be civil.
    How exactly was the OP uncivil? Or miserable? Taxes from working people pay for the social welfare of non-working people (which is good, otherwise you'd have beggars leaning on your doorbell all day :rolleyes:) and as far as I'm concerned removes any obligation to further support those who contribute nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What's Polish for 'fu<k off' then? With a phonetic guide if you please, could come in handy.

Endless hours of fun ;)

http://www.poltran.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Leonitos

These are the bloody Romanians they are everywhere and should get nothing the dirty scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Leonitos

I've read it again and yes you must live in a very special place, where there are no jobless imigrants or worse still someone down on luck and needs to beg. You should get a grip, imigrants (and also beggars) are a fact of life not just in Ireland but in practically every developed country in the world. You're obviously not ready for it. So take the local signs down so as to prevent any innocent tourist from passing near or through your hallowed environs.

If you are too miserable to help at least be civil. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

To post this reply i reckon you are either too posh to come in contact with these people every day, or haven't really got a clue how annoying it is to have these people pester you the whole time. Either that or maby your Polish.

• Advertisement

yeah, obviously anybody who chooses simply to say "sorry, no" when asked for money must have something wrong with them. Everyone knows it's the Irish way to throw furniture polish at beggars and tell them to fcuk off with themselves.

cop yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You're banned, whatever your name is. I'm not clicking back just to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

tbh wrote:
    yeah, obviously anybody who chooses simply to say "sorry, no" when asked for money must have something wrong with them. Everyone knows it's the Irish way to throw furniture polish at beggars and tell them to fcuk off with themselves.

cop yourself on.

Haha! You obviously didn't get that furniture polish joke.

correct. I forgot this was AH. :o balls.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Call the Guards, they're casing the joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

ned78 wrote:
    You can be damn certain they're not Polish.

LOL :D

And you are basing this on what exactly? If (as has happened) an Eastern European who is white (not gypsy, white) is doing it there is a reasonable chance they are Polish. Its alot like saying that there is no such thing as Irish beggars in England because we were the hard drinking but hard working labourers who built the place. Fact is London is full of homeless unemployed Irish beggars.
    ned78 Have Polish other half
    eo980 Have Polish GF
    Echelle May be looking for one :D

Me Have polish Wife

Indeed. Any immigration thread usually brings up several "my girlfriend is Polish" posts, some with such regularity in terms of probable boasting it reminds me of Alan Partridge dropping in the fact he had a foreign girlfriend at every available opportunity*. And sometimes its quite clear from some posters about the Poles in general that they have met no more than a handful and as such are ill qualified to speak on the matter. tbh given some opinions posted Id doubt half the "Polish girlfriend" posts ae even true.

*: mind you if I had a Czech or Slovak bird id probably do the same no matter what the topic. Theyre somehow all beautiful by default :D

As for the sellers/beggers, I dont have a problem with people selling art door to door. Im not an art man mind and therefore id never buy, but as long as they dont call at an unreasonable time or put the foot in the door and politely leave when I politely tell htem i dont want it but thanks anyway, its all good. What would annoy me is if a woman came around holding a baby and a piece of paper claiming her family had been decimated by a feckin typhoon in Romania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Indeed. Any immigration thread usually brings up several "my girlfriend is Polish" posts, some with such regularity in terms of probable boasting it reminds me of Alan Partridge dropping in the fact he had a foreign girlfriend at every available opportunity*. And sometimes its quite clear from some posters about the Poles in general that they have met no more than a handful and as such are ill qualified to speak on the matter. tbh given some opinions posted Id doubt half the "Polish girlfriend" posts ae even true..

Now that was written purely just to provoke and doesn't contribute much that's worthwhile. But tell you what. If your around the city centre anytime soon, give me a PM in advance and myself and the missus (Agnieszka) will meet you for a pint and you can rant away at both her and myself.

Wasnt yourself i had in mind tbh, but seriously, some people do go into multiple references to it at any and every given opportunity, and use it as proof they are the authority on all things Polish when in truth I have probably known more Poles (judging by some "facts" mentioned about them which I know full well to be somewhat misguided from my experiences). Much like those "Irish girls suck" threads of yesteryear, where some posters would go into utter waffle about having went out with every Eurpean nationality under the sun and the Irish being the worst of the lot. Theres alot of things on boards that remind me of Partridge tbh (power tripping mods giving out petty bans being the biggest, but thats for Feedback)

Anyway, doorstep beggars.....them and airline food, whats the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

DonJose wrote:
    Yeah the Polish don't beg ;)

"A 27-year-old Polish man has been convicted of begging in a public place while in possession of €11,000.

Damian Dychtanowicz was arrested by gardaí outside the Sacred Heart Church in Roscommon on St Patrick's Day while begging for food and money."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0321/dychtanowiczd.html

Plus an old women up the road was feeling sorry for him begging and cooked him dinners

Why carry so much cash? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

eo980 wrote:
    Now that was written purely just to provoke and doesn't contribute much that's worthwhile. But tell you what. If your around the city centre anytime soon, give me a PM in advance and myself and the missus (Agnieszka) will meet you for a pint and you can rant away at both her and myself.

How dare you accuse the gopher of making sweeping generalisations :D

He would never even dream of doing so.

• Advertisement

How dare you accuse the gopher of making sweeping generalisations :D

He would never even dream of doing so.

If a sweeping generalisation is largely true is it a bad thing? The Irish drink are drinkers, the Chinese are hard workers, Celtic fans usually have a republican leaning, I could go on all day. Yes, there are non drinking Irish, lazy Chinese and maybe a DUP backing Celtic fan or two in the world, but by and large opinions based on observation are generally fairly accurate.

Mind you i didnt even make any sweeping generalisation in this thread. The only SG i saw was the point blank denial that Poles could be involved in begging, effectively a SG that they are all hard workers (while most Ive met are hard working ive known at least two, both women mind, who were criminally lazy on the job)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Exit wrote:
    Haha! You obviously didn't get that furniture polish joke.

That furnture polish joke was a touch of comic genius :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Mortmain

Show them this and point them next door - problem solved;)

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1090946

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

seamus wrote:
    I had a kid call to the door once. Looked Indian in origin. Said nothing, handed me a piece of paper with some "International Mute Society" logo or something. It looked like a badly photocopied piece of crap. On it were written a whole pile of names and donations, they all looked like they'd been written by a child - the same child, using different pens for each name.

The kid said nothing the whole time, obviously trying to keep up the mute pretence.

I just said "Nope, can't help you", and handed it back to him. I tend not to answer the door unless they've seen me through the window. This kid saw me through the window.

same thing happened at my house except they had a bad copy of disabilty ireland charity sheet the the wheelchair logo was just black marker and tipex'd .. lying about collectin for charity way worse than begging was a real grr moment

Advertisement