Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspartame

• 06-08-2007 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

With all the bad press Aspartame has gotten I've decided to cut it out completely if possible. But this is coming from a big Diet Coke, chewing gum, low fat yogurt person so does anyone know what low calorie drinks, yogurts, sweets etc that don't contain Aspartame? Thankyou.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

curiosity; what's the bad press aspartame received?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Aspartame was introduced in 1965. It is a low-calorie sweetener that is also 200 times sweeter than sucrose. Aspartame is made from two amino acids (the building blocks of protein): L-phenylalanine and L-aspartic acid. More than 200 studies have been performed and the only documented health risks are to people who suffer from phenylketonuria (PKU), who cannot metabolize the L-phenylalanine. This is why there is a PKU warning on any product that contains aspartame. While there are no conclusive, formal, documented cases of adverse health affects, many people report headaches after consuming products that contain aspartame. Other adverse affects that consumers have reported (but have not been independently verified) include seizures, dizziness, tremors, migraines, memory loss, slurring of speech, confusion, fatigue, depression, nausea, and worse. Because children lack a “barrier” of protection that prevents the wrong nutrients from entering the brain (which adults have), some doctors have recently suggested that aspartame should not be given to children.

http://www.everydiet.org/articles/sugar_and_alternatives.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

very interesting. thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

No sweet drinks have low calories. They all turn into sugar into your bloodstream anyway. Drink water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

MayMay wrote:
    With all the bad press Aspartame has gotten I've decided to cut it out completely if possible. But this is coming from a big Diet Coke, chewing gum, low fat yogurt person so does anyone know what low calorie drinks, yogurts, sweets etc that don't contain Aspartame? Thankyou.
    Eat proper food with real sugar in it. In moderation it's great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

Your forgeting diet drinks which have next to no calories but have lots of aspartame but I think there have been thousands of tests done on it so I think its fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-7-23/57897.html

and just in case anyone else had any doubts...

I've rung around all the health food stores in Dublin city centre looking for asparame-free chewing gum with no luck

Although a friend of mine is a doctor & he says that aspartame in v small doses is fine, ie a can of coke a week, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

best avoided imo as it's still being investigated. The less than trustworthy David Icke reckons it's a mind suppresant. Anyways you should simply ask yourself one question when wondering about a food stuff, 'do I need it?
    Does anyone need aspartame? No is the quick answer, probelm solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

You really can not avoid Aspartame if you are a diabetic, especially a type 1, I tried to cut down but it is difficult.

Advertisement