Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long to build and resources needed

Options
  • 06-08-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi,

how long does anybody guess it would take to build a website like youtube.com?

what people resources would be needed - developers / designers?

what hardware resources would be needed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nude_hamster

eh....long time ( depends on the developers you have, and what they quote you, normally more you pay, better and faster the job gets done, but not always the case)
    you will need developers for the back-end developement and designers for the webpage...just look out for companies that will normally do the whole package, but its pricey whatever you try.

If its like youTube, the streaming of video will be intensive enough on memory and processing time, and also on bandwidth. So a good powerfull server and a fairly high bandwidth connection. And also i suppose, like youTube.. you are storing videos, hude hard disk space will be needed aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭junglequestions

have looked into content distributors and know the cost of that - about $1 per GB.

need to calculate how many developers / designers i would need, time and cost!

em look around for companies, it shouldn't cost anything for a company to make up a quote of price, time for you. They are the professionals and they should know how long it would take them to do the job :), different companies will quote different lengths of time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're not really giving much to go on here. Is this a college project or something?

Basically, what you've done is the same as going to a builder with no drawings, designs or ideas and asked, "How long will it take to build a house?".

We can give estimates and guesses, but they'd be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

How long does it take to build a house?

• Advertisement

How long does it take to build a house?
    107 days, give or take a few years... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

hi,

How long did it take youtube?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say get yourself a business plan first, if that pans out and somebody is prepared to finance you then you should get an experienced project manager. At that point the manager will help you recruit the resources available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭junglequestions

We have a plan - use cases , resources needed etc.

A very quick business plan, nothing too in-depth just some statements on how the site would make money
    Im not giving anything away as the idea is very unique.
    There would have to be a very tight NDA signed.

The best guess I can come up with ( the minimum it would take to build the site - just build it without any bandwidth etc) would be around €60k - €90k.

You could always approach a development company and get them to do it for you. Sounds to me like you've a business idea but you lack technical know how. Happily you don't need the technical know how as you can *purchase* it. The web is really just the media you've choosen to delivery your business services.
    There would have to be a very tight NDA signed.

Glad to hear it. Find a dev company, they'll guide you through the techie stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 skiff79

hi,

developing it is not a problem. to pay half million $$$ for the traffic it is more conserning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

skiff79 wrote:
    developing it is not a problem. to pay half million $$$ for the traffic it is more conserning.

Just host the videos on youtube and link off to them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skiff79

Hobbes wrote:
    Just host the videos on youtube and link off to them. :D

yes, it is obviously the solution but no one will pay 1.5 bil for it :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

without knowing the specifics of you project I think you have way under estimated the cost.

Say it takes 6 (could very optimistic here. Youtube had funding and had 67 employees when it was purchased)
    Say you you use 4 programmers @ €30k per year to thats €60k for six months
    1 really good database because speed is going to matter at €25 for six months
    1 project manager maybe anothere €25k
    10% for unforseesn/unknowns(could be more)
    forgot about testing, cross browser issues etc, deployment, hardware, software licenes etc
    and you are up approx €121K
    Now you have to pay for Bandwidth, advertising(people want to come
    to you site) etc

Of course the above assumes that your plan, use cases are actually useable and are of sufficent quality to allow someone to code. Have you done your screen layouts, process flows etc? anything missing will increase the development time.

I'd sign the NDA just to have a look at you idea and sanity check it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Youtube didn't have 67 employees when it was originally setup though. If I remember correctly, it was only 4 or 5 friends at the beginning. Obviously, the bigger YouTube got - the more staff that were needed.

There are YouTube clones out there that you could use as a basis for this project. You might have to pay but it could save you a lot of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

have you also thought about the servers you're going to require to pump all these videos out ...

servers + bandwidth

servers you're running all this are going to need to be pretty heavy specs ...

An example I've just semi worked out in my head ... video you upload to youtube needs to be around 1000kbps ...

very rough calculations this means 1 minute of video is roughly 8mbs

One of the current YouTube videos on the front page has had 250,000 plays in the last few days ...

8mbs x 250,000 = 2terrabytes and thats just on one video thats 1 minute long ...

As amen said ... developers at 30k .. and I think you could be lucky to find good developers in this country at that price ... a project manager I would see as being on a lot more as well ..

Marketing people ... online advertising as amen already said ...

Edit: I just saw you've looked into content distributors ... they'll be supplying the hardware / database machines and so on ?

With regards to marketing etc. Get this worked out first, work out the marketing side, the advertising side, and the legals sorted and signed off. I wouldn't start development until I did.

Advertisement